Author Topic: Re-uploaded July 7: Lemmings (and Oh No) CD Audio  (Read 5152 times)

Offline maybeway36

• View Profile
Re-uploaded July 7: Lemmings (and Oh No) CD Audio
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:12 AM »
Updated July 7, 2012

Here are the tracks from the version of Lemmings / Oh No More Lemmings that came on a CD-ROM and used CD audio. I uploaded both MP3 and raw WAV versions. Download the MP3s unless you need WAVs (MP3 files are much smaller.) If you want it in Ogg Vorbis or something like that, let me know.

MP3: All Tracks (29.6 MB)

WAV: Tracks 2-13 (136 MB)
WAV: Tracks 14-24 (134 MB)

These tracks are made from a bin/toc backup I made from the original disc today with cdrdao (paranoia mode = 1) using a better CD drive than my last backup. I used bchunk to extract the WAV files from that backup. Some of the tracks may have a couple of clicks in them, but it's not that bad.
Also, track 10 had a split-second gap in it; I made a separate file where I filled in that gap (by copying samples 712839-721626 to 1022139-1030926).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings (and Oh No More Lemmings) CD Audio
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:09 PM »
That's interesting. The MP3 files (I didn't listen at the others yet) aren't the same files used in the DOS game. Did this CD come with the DOS game? I've never heard this version before.
Soon I'll have to make a thread for music versions :P

EDIT: once I listened to one I realized I did hear this before. But I couldn't find the thread here again  so I still don't understand what this came from.

Does anybody know anything about Windows music?
In the windows version there are 10 or so MIDI remakes of the songs which are really nice but not all of the songs are there. For example The March of Days isn't there as well as all the special levels. And none of the ONML songs are present. Is there a version of these songs somewhere? Or were they just never remade?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:44:51 AM »
Your packs are missing track 18; they have a duplicate of track 17 instead.

Offline maybeway36

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:33:02 PM »
Your packs are missing track 18; they have a duplicate of track 17 instead.
Well, that's embarassing. I'll re-rip the missing track and re-upload the packs. EDIT: The new packs are uploaded now!

This CD was a mixed data/audio CD. The data portion contained Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings (it didn't need to be installed; even if it was, you had to have the CD in.) The audio is used for the levels. I could never get the audio working when I was younger, playing it on Windows 95 and 98, but it works with DOSBox perfectly.

EDIT: I found a folder named DOXVIEW on the disc, which contained a copy of the instruction manual. The DOX file was mostly plain-text but contained references to some PCX images. I manually converted it to HTML/PNG and you can read it here: http://www.lakora.us/lemmings/dox/

Also, here's what the disc looks like, in case you're curious. The silver part actually isn't colored at all - just the same color as the disc itself.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Re-uploaded July 7: Lemmings (and Oh No) CD Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 01:41:59 AM »
Then, apparently there is yet another version of the DOS game with slight variations on CD (as opposed to the floppy disc version)
Here is audio from the floppy version which is clearly different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0gmTryslN4&feature=plcp
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline maybeway36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
The CD version, for some reason, also has a slight increase in the fall distance, which makes the "We all fall down" level way too easy. The author of this walkthrough mentions the difference.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 08:32:10 PM »
I went through the tracks and fixed all the clicks that I could find. There might still be some subtle glitches left, but they shouldn't be noticeable. Also fixed was a skip in track 18 (which I suspect was in the master because someone else's rip had the same skip). I also trimmed the silence from the beginning and end of each track; no actual audio was removed, however.

Lemmings CD: MP3, WAV

Big thanks for ripping these tracks, and bigger thanks for uploading lossless versions--not many people do that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:13:42 AM by Tsyu »