Author Topic: Classic & Egyptain  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Classic & Egyptain
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »
I read a comment explaining something wrong with Lemmings 2. Don't you think it's weird that there's two sections of the yellow Egypt levels? Would it better if the Classic had two of each of the old five themes, instead of ten pillars? Or how about ten of a theme that is not pillar?
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Classic & Egyptain
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »
Don't you think it's weird that there's two sections of the yellow Egypt levels?

??? Not quite sure what you mean?

The L2 Egyptian and Classic tribes' terrain graphics do share a similar palette, but beyond that they are pretty different.

It is probably not cost effective for them to attempt to port all 5 graphics sets from L1 over to L2, but I suppose they could've ported a different L1 graphics set instead.  Of course, the L2 game engine, being tile-based, does pose some severe limits on how terrain can be positioned in the level area.  Something like the Dirt set that is lacking in nice rectangular tiles will not work well in L2.

Is it also possible that the "yellow pillar" set is picked simply because it was the most used set in L1?  I don't remember which set is used the most in L1 off top of my head.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:33:20 AM »
Fire has 31, while Pillar has 25 in the first game and this is without counting the special levels.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:20 AM »
I read a comment explaining something wrong with Lemmings 2.

Out of interest, where did you read this comment? (Somebody somewhere else on the internet talks about Lemmings? :o)

Classic and Egypt don't look at all similar IMO. They both have yellow rectangles I guess (so do Beach and Circus btw), but the textures are completely different.

Rectangular tiles are certainly preferable, but they aren't absolutely vital for gameplay, look at Cavelems for example. For building levels on the other hand, they are pretty much essential, unless you like stitching together hundreds of little tiles to get neat curves :-\. That's the developer's problem though :P. I'm sure the Classic tribe would've been just fine with any (or all) of the other L1 tilesets. Choosing just one tileset would surely save a lot of work (as ccx mentioned) and gives a nice consistent theme.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Classic and Egyptian both takes place in the same area, which is the desert. I don't really mind it though, it's just something people will noticed when their older. The comment was from Youtube.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:11 AM »
I think it's PSP version that really made the classic pillar graphics set into a more Egyptian theme?  I know the original L1 version of the graphics is this golden-yellow shade that also matches the color of desert sand, but I've honestly never really thought of that graphics set as "desert".  But I can understand why some people do.

I don't remember off top of my head how the Classic tribe is depicted in the L2 map screen.  If I recall correctly, it has some greenery and is not very desert-like either.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »
Does the manual in any of the ports of L1 explain what the old version of pillar is suppose to be? That would help clear things up if it did.

At first I didn't know what the pink marble is suppose to be, until I Google marble roman because the PSP calls it roman, and the objects there looks similar to the ones in the PSP, like the Cinerary Urn. It made me realize that the pink tall terrains looks similar to the roman pillars. So the marble theme is the roman ruins.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.