Author Topic: Custom Tilesets in Lemmix?  (Read 16789 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Custom Tilesets in Lemmix?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 04:01:56 AM »
Exactly.  By the way, half the "huge level" argument is DOWNLOAD TIME.

Well, EricLang found the size of a level compressed to be around 20-40 KB.  I think even for dialups, that's not too bad.  Although granted, it's been so long since I've used dialups, I've forgotten exactly how slow they are. ;)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 04:03:14 AM »
It's a wireless network, which is in the center of my house.  Mr. K has not yet explained why just 1 room's difference makes the difference between a low/very low connection and a good/very good connection.  If you move the computer to any point in the house other than my room, the strength skyrockets, and my dad's laptop gets great signal strength from here!

@Jason:  Sorry, messed up.  The speed of the actual connection is in Mbps.  I don't know the conversion to see what it is as far as download speeds go.

@ccexplore:  I swear I read a post that said that the huge level files would be a problem because of download time.  Because hard drives are huge these days.  I'll see if I can find it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:55 AM »
(hard disk space is most likely not a problem, so it's mainly the impact on how long it takes to download the level file).

ccexplore!  YOU posted that!  Read this quote, especially the part I have underlined and bolded and italicized.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 04:06:46 AM »
Well, EricLang found the size of a level compressed to be around 20-40 KB.  I think even for dialups, that's not too bad.  Although granted, it's been so long since I've used dialups, I've forgotten exactly how slow they are. ;)

Let's hope you never need to remember through first hand experience xD

20 to 40 KB is very good. I still maintain that a pack file is a better format for distribution of packs than just distributing each file in a zip.

@Dullstar: Heh, it's alright. If you're experiencing slowness, you'll be measuring in KB or Kb. Most likely KB. Highly likely KB. Extremely likely KB. Not so likely B or b. Probably KB.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 04:09:36 AM »
It's a wireless network, which is in the center of my house.  Mr. K has not yet explained why just 1 room's difference makes the difference between a low/very low connection and a good/very good connection.  If you move the computer to any point in the house other than my room, the strength skyrockets, and my dad's laptop gets great signal strength from here!

Hmm weird.  Perhaps it's interference from other appliances (cordless phone?  although I thought they were supposed to go on different EM frequencies)?  Sorry to hear that your house has a Wi-Fi "blindspot" like that.  I dunno much about WiFi to offer any possible solutions.

I'll see if I can find it.

No need to find it.  Obviously if it makes for very large level files than it's not a good solution, but so far the size doesn't look too bad.

I do seem to recall that in Cheapo, the terrain is stored as a single bitmap (although interactive objects aren't) within the level itself.  So we already have examples of storing bitmaps within a level.  I don't remember though how big the cheapo level files are.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 04:11:09 AM »
I don't recall levels being like that, I recall needing the styles in their own location.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 04:12:40 AM »
I said my dad's laptop gets great connection in the same spot my computer is in.  By the way, if I run the computer in Ubuntu, I get better connection strength, apparently.

Okay, one or two more comments, and then we can go back on topic.  Or we could go on topic NOW.

The topic:  Custom Tilesets in Lemmix.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
I don't recall levels being like that, I recall needing the styles in their own location.

I know!  That is so true!  Tell me one lemmings game that stores graphics in the level file!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 04:14:06 AM »
I suppose Eric's unreleased lessthanAlpha Custom Lemmix implementation? xD

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 04:15:21 AM »
Possibly.  Hasn't been released yet, though, so we do not know.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 04:18:20 AM »
I assume Eric's at least tried it, given that he's talked about how well the compression worked.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'd love to see custom tilesets (or not even tilesets at all, as envisioned by Eric) so as that we can port some of the better Cheapo levels to a format for the newcomers to the Lemming community. Truly some good levels that nobody will play anymore simply because it's not Lemmix.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:19 AM »

The style files are still needed because interactive objects, music, sound, etc. are not stored with the level.  But the terrain graphics definitely is stored entirely within the level, because Cheapo lets you cut and paste arbitrary bitmap graphics into the level.  This wouldn't be possible if the terrain graphics isn't stored within the level.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 06:59:11 AM »
ccexplore!  YOU posted that!
:XD: :-[

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2009, 12:04:27 AM »
I'd love to see custom tilesets (or not even tilesets at all, as envisioned by Eric) so as that we can port some of the better Cheapo levels to a format for the newcomers to the Lemming community. Truly some good levels that nobody will play anymore simply because it's not Lemmix.

You've got a point there. I haven't tried Cheapo myself :(

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 01:28:33 AM »
Beast of a Level isn't all that adoptable, anyways.  Beast 2, however, could probably work with most pieces except maybe the tree.  AWESOME level could be looked at to see if there would be a chance of getting the terrain used in the dragons separated.  The stars will.  Menacing may pose problems.
I did this for Cheapo some years ago (including the tree from Beast 2, which I was very proud of). I still have the bitmap file, if anyone has any use for it: http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Special-Graphics.bmp