Author Topic: Best Port of Lemmings?  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Best Port of Lemmings?
« on: June 03, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »
What is your favourite port of lemmings?

I like the DOS versions, but I wish their was a way to get VGA graphics with TGA sound. :P

Mr Kiwi

Re: Best Port of Lemmings?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:44:43 AM »
Amiga FTW.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »
My current'd have to be PSP at the moment.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
Easy choice for me. DOS version.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
Amiga for nostalgic reasons.

The MegaDrive/Genesis version deserves a mention as well for all the extra levels.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Easy choice for me... Sega Master System.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:22:01 PM »
I only have the PSP one and lost the SNES game a long time ago. I like how the PSP version has updated levels of the first game. I sometimes like looking at both the old design of the level and the new updated PSP version. It shows how much the classic levels has grown up.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »
I've always liked DOS, but I think I'm going to switch my lemmings play-through back to VGA.
I guess I forgot to add the PSP version as a choice, huh?  :D

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 05:23:38 AM »
We'll survive in other. :D
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 07:43:51 AM »
PC and SMS are both great.

SMS has some great levels that are unique to it - some of its unique levels are plain annoying (eg: the repeat version of Sega Three) but some are simply great (eg: Menace - yes, I know this appears in the Budget Amiga version, but I'm pretty sure it was originally designed for the Sega version).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
I like the DOS versions, but I wish their was a way to get VGA graphics with TGA sound. :P

Hmm, I suppose I could take a stab......

But don't get your hopes up.  The Tandy if I recall have both special graphics and sound hardware outside of mainstream PCs of the time.  Unless DOSBox can be configured to support the two independently (emulates the combo of VGA graphics and Tandy sound, which never actually happened in hardware), there's nothing I can do.

A different approach with a better chance of working (but definitely a lot more work) might be to convert the TGA sound and music to MP3 and the like, and then have Lemmix support custom music.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 05:44:12 AM »
Huh?  Can DOSbox be configured to do that or not?

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 06:26:35 AM »
But don't get your hopes up.  The Tandy if I recall have both special graphics and sound hardware outside of mainstream PCs of the time.  Unless DOSBox can be configured to support the two independently (emulates the combo of VGA graphics and Tandy sound, which never actually happened in hardware), there's nothing I can do.

DOSBox can be configured this way, but Lemmings still won't detect the Tandy sound chip. The only way to have Tandy sound in Lemmings, with any version of DOSBox (I think), is to play the Tandy or CGA version. However, it is possible to have AdLib sound in any version of Lemmings in DOSBox.

For your information, some games (such as King's Quest V) are VGA-only, but still support the Tandy sound chip.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:43:36 AM »
DOSBox can be configured this way, but Lemmings still won't detect the Tandy sound chip. The only way to have Tandy sound in Lemmings, with any version of DOSBox (I think), is to play the Tandy or CGA version.

I just tried copying tandysnd.dat over adlib.dat.  It doesn't help with Lemmings, but intriguingly, it works in ONML--you can get VGA + Tandy sound that way (provided you config DOSBox to do VGA + Tandy sound emulation).

I'll need to look at the disassembly a little further to see if there's a relative simple way to hack the game to make the same trick work on Lemmings.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »
What is your favourite port of lemmings?

Ok, I have a way to let you do VGA graphics + TGA sound even for DOS Lemmings.

First, try out the method given by DragonsLover in configuring DOSBox to only emulate the Tandy sound hardware.

On my machine, it works for my copy of ONML but doesn't work for my copy of DOS Lemmings.  But since I think they were multiple releases of DOS Lemmings, there's a slight chance you may have a version where DragonLover's method is sufficient.

If it doesn't work, here's my solution.  It involves a hacked version of tandysnd.dat:

1) make a backup copy of DOS Lemming's adlib.dat file
2) overwrite adlib.dat with the file attached here, which is a slightly hacked version of tandysnd.dat
3) Just like what DragonLovers said, edit DOSBox.conf's [speaker] section to have tandy=on.  But leave oplmode=auto in the [sblaster] section.

Now when you run DOS Lemmings in VGA mode it will always do the Tandy sound.  To revert it back to adlib sound, just restore the original adlib.dat from the backup copy.

[Note: whenever you change DOSBox.conf, remember you have to save the changes and then restart DOSBox for the changes to take effect.]