Author Topic: Lemmings Quiz  (Read 31991 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Quiz
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 06:22:49 AM »
I didn't think your question was too bad, but you do need to keep in mind that some of us haven't played some different versions of Lemmings (as opposed to the DOS version that we all know about). Everyone likes easy questions though, so I'll take this one:

capital L
lowercase e
lowercase m
lowercase m
lowercase i
lowercase n
lowercase g
lowercase s

Now don't go telling me it was a trick question :XD:

In DOS Lemmings, how long does it take for a lemming to walk the length of the screen, to the nearest second (game time, not actual time), assuming there are no obstacles or elevation changes?

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:25:54 AM »
Owing to how there's the Lemmings Archive with most of the versions of Lemmings 1 on there, I don't think my question was too hard. After all, it takes a couple of clicks to download something but a few hundred keystrokes to complain about it instead.

I'll leave the answer for yours up to someone else, I fear I might be answering too many.  :P
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
There's a problem with suggesting people break the law rather than refuse to answer questions like "How many comments are in the source code for the Amiga version of Lemmings 2?" A Lemmings-centric quiz does not have to ask questions about specifics of game mechanics, specifics of levels in certain games, or select information that only a handful of people would be able to know. Instead of "How many Grenade pick-ups are there in all levels of Lemmings Chronicles?" ask something like "Other than descending walls safely, what practical use does the Slider skill have?"

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
I'm sorry, but who died and made you quiz master?

I thought a Lemmings quiz asked questions about Lemmings. I asked about the NES version. It was about Lemmings. All I asked is how much of a bridge is remaining when a basher bashes through it in that version. It's not a hard question. You simply play the game and find out.

Regarding your question about the slider skill, that's just as closed as my question. My question was about one version of Lemmings. Your question was about one sequel of Lemmings (and you didn't mention which version either, because the usefulness of the Slider changes in the Game Boy version of L2). My question was about a skill. Your question is about a skill.

In order to answer your question, I'd have to play the game and find out what practical use the Slider has apart from descending walls safely. So what makes your question so special that it warrants me having to go find out the answer, but my question is so vile because ... you would have to do the same thing.

If there's a general assumption that all references to games are the DOS version, that's unfair. I'm much more used to the Sega Master System and PSP versions. Some will be used to the SNES versions. Some will be used to ... etc. I don't think I went out of line in specifying that I referred to the NES version. So you haven't played the NES version? Well, ... go play it.

Gotta do some research? Well, how sad too bad. My question was about Lemmings, one version yes but each version is different, and I think it's unfair for you to tell me that I have to assume that the quiz is solely about the DOS version. There's a certain amount of hypocrisy if I can't pose a certain kind of question, but you can.

By the way, the answer about the Slider skill is that to make Runners not hop over gaps but rather drop. I had to play the game to find that out. I had to do some research. All I had to do was open DOSBox. It wasn't hard. I got the answer and I posted it.

Now, I'll post a question.

In the DOS version of All New World of Lemmings, clicking the Classic Lemming on the roof of the airship makes him fall off and say the classic "Oh No!". In the Amiga version, he says something different. What does he say?

That isn't a hard question. You all have the capability to do some research. Someone out there will already know the answer. Instead of complaining that you don't know the answer, why not just FIND OUT or LET SOMEONE ELSE ANSWER.

Use...

Your...

BRAINS!

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 07:27:26 AM »
Your Builder question focuses on intricacies of game mechanics to an extent that indeed does amount to counting pixels. I have played each Lemmings game, as well as the NES version of Lemmings, and knowing how many pixels of a bridge a Basher takes out would require me to download--again, illegally--the game and try it out. If I never played the game that'd be one thing, as I shouldn't be expected to have a clue to any questions asked about it, but otherwise I shouldn't have to wonder how various ports of a program are coded differently. It's like comparing SeaMonkey to FireFox and asking which one renders SVG faster... and then calling it a quiz.

Any assumption that a question refers to a specific version of a game is indeed unfair. If a question relates to a particular version, it should be stated in the question itself.

Sliders can indeed stop Runners from leaping gaps. They can also make a Lemming turn around if the wall doesn't go all the way to the ground, whereas a Floater will keep walking in the same direction. The question requires only a fundamental knowledge of any version of Lemmings 2; no pixels counted.

I don't happen to know what the Amiga Classic Lemming says when he falls off the arc. I have no intention of complaining about it, as it's not something I'll need to bust out a calculator and magnifying glass to determine. I'm also not willing to break the law in order to find out, so I'll let someone else answer. Now that's using my BRAINS.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 08:31:30 AM »
I have played each Lemmings game, as well as the NES version of Lemmings, and knowing how many pixels of a bridge a Basher takes out would require me to download--again, illegally--the game and try it out.

If you've played it, you wouldn't have forgotten the tile-based mechanics. Since a bridge is two tiles high, a Lemming bashing through it would take out one tile (being one tile high themselves).

If I never played the game that'd be one thing, as I shouldn't be expected to have a clue to any questions asked about it

If I may paraphrase, that means that you wouldn't know for the sake of argument about something. I think we can generally agree that given such a scenario, that would be the basic argument. So if you didn't know, there are two options as I see it.
  • Find out what the answer is somehow (not necessarily illegal: you could watch one of the many YouTube videos).
  • Concede that you don't know the answer, and let someone else answer.
I don't think you did either of these. Instead, you said that a question like mine shouldn't be asked and changed the question to one of your own. I hold this is unfair behaviour, because someone else may have known the answer and could make their own question.

Any assumption that a question refers to a specific version of a game is indeed unfair. If a question relates to a particular version, it should be stated in the question itself.

Well, we agree there then.

Sliders can indeed stop Runners from leaping gaps. They can also make a Lemming turn around if the wall doesn't go all the way to the ground, whereas a Floater will keep walking in the same direction.

Just like my question was about one version, your question is about one game. There is a gap, but it's fundamentally the same idea as they are two releases.

The question requires only a fundamental knowledge of any version of Lemmings 2; no pixels counted.

The GameBoy version has no slider. Again, my question requires no pixel counting.

I don't happen to know what the Amiga Classic Lemming says when he falls off the arc.

That's cool. No worries, eh?

I have no intention of complaining about it, as it's not something I'll need to bust out a calculator and magnifying glass to determine.

That compound sentence was composed to contradictory phrases. Also, you don't need to use a calculator and magnifying glass to listen to something.

I'm also not willing to break the law in order to find out, so I'll let someone else answer. Now that's using my BRAINS.

Absolutely correct, that is indeed the ideal solution (to not break the law). That is using your brains, I concur. We should remove all the downloads of all the Lemmings games from the Lemmings Archive. We could do as most other websites do, and only offer the distributable trial versions.
In addition, there's other options for researching an answer. They may produce results, they may not produce results. Still, Google doesn't exist just to make web browsers and provide email addresses to Nigerian scam artists.

You know, I don't usually like to be argumentative and I apologise for my behaviour in my previous post. However, it still occurs to me that sweeping my question away was still unfair, as somebody else could have answered. So you don't like the question, I can understand. You know what that means, of course.

Just don't answer it.

I still want to know if anyone can answer the current question: "In DOS Lemmings 3, the Classic Lemming cries "Oh no!" when he falls off the Ark. In Amiga Lemmings 3, he says something else. What does he say?" I'll give a clue: The Shadow tribe says it as they jump out of the Ark in the Amiga introduction video. This video can be seen on YouTube. I think Lemmy556 posted it.

Someone may know. I'm going to let them answer it. Then they can ask their question. That's how it works.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
Sorry GP, I'm with Jason on this. Between the regular posters on this forum (however few of us there are nowadays :() we should have some experience of all the major ports, so there should be someone here who can answer each question, however version-specific. And if not then the questioner can ask again :).

To anyone who reads this thread - if you know the answer, go ahead and post it. Otherwise, this little problem we've run into isn't likely to get any better.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 02:19:24 AM »
Dullstar, can I just say that you completely missed the point of my analogy? Yes, I will say that because you did.

If nobody has an answer to my question, the answer is "Geronimo!"

New question:
The maximum amount of Lemmings allowed in the Amiga version of the original is 100. It was dropped to a different number for the DOS version. What number is this? It should be well known, it's the difference between a Lemmix level and a CustLemm level.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 06:30:28 PM »
80 lemmings!

What level in the rating "FUN" has a part where the lemmings do nothing but walk for a large part of the level on a 100% solution is the Amiga version?

HINT:  Try looking at the Lemmings Encyclopedia

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 04:14:38 AM »
I'd have to say Fun 19:  "Take good care of my Lemmings."

Trying to avoid intricate version-specific details, here is my next question:

What do these eleven ONML levels all have in common?  (And no, you cannot say they are all in Crazy)

Crazy 1, Crazy 2, Crazy 3, Crazy 7, Crazy 11, Crazy 12, Crazy 13, Crazy 14, Crazy 15, Crazy 16, Crazy 17

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 04:20:53 AM »
They all use the Brick style.

Question:
What is the cultural reference behind Worra Lorra Lemmings?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »
O_o

I'm going to start a thread about this stuff, so these questions can be answered more easily.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 04:48:11 AM »
Hey, I just read about this somewhere! Can't remember where exactly, but anyway...

It's "what a lot of lemmings", spoken with a thick Scottish accent. Presumably intended in a derogatory manner :P
(edit) and something to do with Cilla Black? Whoever that is. :P

Now for a mathematical question. Hopefully you people aren't too bad at maths...
In my level "The Square Route of Lemmings", I set the number of lemmings, percentage to be saved, skills and time limit to be perfect squares. (For those that don't know, a "perfect square" is what you get when you multiply a whole number by itself.) In this case there are 16 lemmings (42), and you need to save 81% (92 - this is a rounded down value, but don't worry about this).

My question is: In a level with 25 (52) lemmings, how many ways are there of making the percentage to be saved a perfect square? (Not including 0% - there'd be no point in making a level where you don't have to save anyone ;))

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
Discounting 12 (rescuing one Lemming out of 25 would just be pathetic :P)...

22 = 4 lemmings
32 = 9 lemmings
42 = 16 lemmings
52 = 25 lemmings

Results in four.

Cilla Black was indeed the answer I was looking for, and it certainly is What a lot of Lemmings. Worra Lorra's somewhat of a catchphrase for her accent.

New question:
Take a listen to my XMas Lemmings Tandy tracks on my YouTube page: http://youtube.com/zapzupnz
Having done that, tell me what song the name of the traditional song is to the track which I personally titled Christmas Bonus? It's a Christmas song, yes, but which one?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 09:33:41 AM »
Discounting 12 (rescuing one Lemming out of 25 would just be pathetic :P)...

22 = 4 lemmings
32 = 9 lemmings
42 = 16 lemmings
52 = 25 lemmings

Results in four.

I thought my wording was fairly clear here... I said the PERCENTAGE has to be a square, not the number of lemmings. I'll let you away with it since for 25 lemmings it amounts to the same thing. (Each lemming is 4%, which is a square. A square times a square is - funnily enough - another square.)

Monospaced font for links? Now that's an interesting idea.