Author Topic: Level Review Topic  (Read 118025 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review Topic
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »
Genesis - Fun 29 - Dark Dawn

Lemmings: 100
Save: 70 (70%)
RR: 77
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 each

Good: The terrain layout and release rate force you to go about this one carefully. Red parts of the terrain pieces used well for decoration.
Bad: The big hole at the bottom (below the steel) looks unappealing. Timing the basher between jumps as it walks up the spike terrain can be annoying. (Do the lemmings "jump" up 3-pixel steps in the Genesis version?)
Better than DOS Fun 29 (worra lorra lemmings)? Close, but no. The original edges this out for its visual design, if nothing else.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
I know it's ages yet, but I think Taxing 29 should also be reviewed when we get to that stage. The compression of the level has made quite an impact on the solution. Similarly, if the stats on each level except the number of lemmings is different (Taxing 21, I believe, requires 100% on this version [Edit: Taxing 22. My apologies.]), they should also be looked at. What do you think?
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2009, 01:35:24 PM »
...there's a version where Taxing 21 doesn't require 100%?

Moving on to Tricky; these levels have been rearranged with the original levels followed by the new ones, instead of keeping each new level in the same place in the sequence as the level it replaces. So I'm reviewing Tricky 9, but when I compare it to the level it replaces, that is Tricky 1, and so on.

Tricky 9 - Where do you see Lemmings?

50 lemmings
Save 96% (48)
Release rate 50
5 minutes

20 of each skill

Good: Unique design idea with the maze of bricks (and an inspiration for one of my Cheapo levels). Several possible approaches, and not too hard to get 100%.
Bad: Being allowed to lose two lemmings suggests the good old "trap the crowd and have a worker" standby.
Better than Tricky 1?: Yes, by miles, but having "We all fall down" as the first Tricky level is an appalling idea.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
Taxing 21 on Master System doesn't require 100% :P but it's an entirely different level. Interestingly, the original Taxing 21 IS in there, as Mayhem 21, where I believe it does indeed require 100% (but I may be remembering wrong).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »
You may not care about this, but I still like it when everyone labels which console these levels are. That way we don't confuse some of the DOS levels with some of the Genesis.

Genesis - Tricky 10 - Keep Step

Number of Lemmings: 50
98% to be saved (49)
Release rate: 50

10 of each skill

Good: Less skills, includes a sheer drop, nice use of pillar cutting, lots of ways to do it. I think this level is better than the DOS level so that you don't need to do the same thing twice.
Bad: A few bits of the level are quite messy. Some invisible steel areas are too big.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »
Good: Less skills, includes a sheer drop, nice use of pillar cutting, lots of ways to do it. I think this level is better than the DOS level so that you don't need to do the same thing twice.

Remember though that the level it replaces is DOS Tricky 4. Especially for the one I'm about to do, it wouldn't make sense to compare Genesis Tricky 11 with DOS Tricky 11 when "Lemmings in the attic" is in the Genesis version as well -- it's just moved to Tricky 6.

Genesis - Tricky 11 - Let's go to the moon!

30 lemmings
Save 50% (15)
Release rate 50
5 minutes

10 of each skill except bashers

Good: Beautiful level design, nice "long way round" theme with the absence of bashers to prevent the quick solution; several ways to take advantage of the terrain to do a "worker lemming" solution and save 100% without making the level any harder.
Bad: Avoiding colliding with the little "stars" is a bit too nasty for a level of this difficulty.
Better than DOS Tricky 5? Yes, on balance. Tricky 5 is fun to play because I liked getting the lemmings stuck in between the "balls" and getting them out again, but this level is really gorgeous to look at -- great use of the crystal graphics.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »
I know it's ages yet, but I think Taxing 29 should also be reviewed when we get to that stage. The compression of the level has made quite an impact on the solution. Similarly, if the stats on each level except the number of lemmings is different (Taxing 21, I believe, requires 100% on this version), they should also be looked at. What do you think?

Sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry earlier today. I meant Taxing 22, Come On Over to My Place. And yes, I have checked. This version requires 100%. However, the review on the DOS version talked about that. Mayhem 4 also requires 100% on this version and not on DOS. The review earlier stated that the fact you could save 100% was a bad point, but this time, it is enforced.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
Better than DOS Tricky 5? Yes, on balance.

I would say no because of a notable backroute. The mine-build-mine-build through the left wall is certainly what I call a backroute. Cut those miners out, and that last level should be more challenging.

Genesis - Tricky 12 - Go out for a walk?

Lemmings: 50
Save: 50% (25)
Release rate: 87

1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 5 diggers

Good: Better than "Bitter Lemming" for DOS, since you don't need the floaters, can be challenging about where to dig, a creative final part of the solution, takes a break from all those building levels.
Bad: 5 minutes is too much time for this level; I've done it in just 1 minute.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
Oooh, I'll definitely pitch in when we get to Lemmings 2. I'm grabbing screenies of the stages right now.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 11, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »
Genesis - Tricky 13 - Salvage boat

30 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 1
5 minutes

12 builders, 1 basher, 2 miners

Good: Finishes off the "easy" levels with a 100%-er. Makes you think about how to avoid the crowd getting stuck or splatting while the bridge is being built.
Bad: Too much building. The presence of the second miner suggests that the obvious solution (mine through the worker lemming's bridge, then repair it) was not thought of by the designers.
Better than DOS Tricky 10? Not really, no.

(Fortunately this is the last level for which the level it has to be compared to has a different number; back to normal now.)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »
Genesis - Tricky 21 - Don't leave any Lemmings

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
RR: 1
Time: 6 minutes
Skills: 30 bombers/blockers/builders

Good: Bombing upwards through the terrain without making a hole in the floor makes for an interesting challenge. And, thankfully, you don't need to time the bombers at all. Simple and effective design.

Bad: Not much to say here, so I'll nitpick a little. The pink and marble-coloured bricks don't look good together IMHO. The entrance area is a bit cramped too, and the open trapdoor overlaps the terrain, which looks untidy.

Better than DOS Tricky 21 (All the 6's)? Absolutely. There's really no contest here.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 11, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
Genesis - Tricky 27 - Everyone Turn Left

Lemmings: 60
Save: 60 (100%)
RR: 80
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 60 miners

Good: The solution to this level presents an interesting idea of using miners to turn around on one-way walls.

Bad: This level is boring. You have to repeat using miners sixty times. There are far too many lemmings to deal with, and your patience is tested rather than your cunning.

Better than DOS Tricky 27 (The Island of the Wicker People)? No chance. Island of the Wicker People at least makes you think. This level is as dull as We All Fall Down.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Genesis - Tricky 29 - Konnichiwa Lemming-san

100 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 77
4 minutes

4 builders, 2 miners

Good: The first, I think, of the type of level the Genesis game is justly famous for -- only a few skills, but they add up to an efficient, effective and well-concealed solution.
Bad: I'm not keen on the Japanese titles, as I said in my review of 24 Fun. I admit it's a bit more excusable when it's clearly being used as a running theme.
Better than DOS Tricky 29? Wipes the floor with it; there's absolutely no comparison.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 11, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
4 builders, 2 diggers??? (according to Planet Lemmings, but surely this is wrong?)

It surely is wrong. Well spotted. ;) It is, in fact, 4 builders and 2 miners.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
Genesis Tricky 30: Don't Follow Me.

Save 10/10, RR 1, 2 minutes.
3 miners

Good: I like the level layout. That's it really.
Bad: This level is insultingly easy for a last Tricky level; there's really no challenge in finding a solution.
Better than Tricky 30 Amiga (The Crankshaft)?: Not even close. That level was an interesting challenge, a good warmup for the types of puzzles in the final two sets. This is just a joke.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano