Author Topic: Lemmings at a higher resolution  (Read 11167 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
Re: Lemmings at a higher resolution
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
Cheers for that covox. I'll probably pick your brains the further I go along.

You're right, a few of the ideas I listed are duplicates so I guess I could integrate them into one class.

And, I've got to keep on checking what each Lemming is doing in every frame? O_o Here's me thinking that's inefficient, and its' the way to do it all the time. xD Well, I suppose it has the potential to be inefficient, but I'll see how I go.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 04:32:45 AM »
Sorry to nitpick, but...

- Technically a lemming can jump up to 5 pixels in height, however you need to set an intermediate state called a bounder which advances up 2 pixels/frame so it doesn't look weird.
- Anything higher than 5, turn him around. Anything lower than -2, set him as a faller (which drop at a constant rate of 3 pixels/frame).

They can jump up to 6 pixels. You don't give those guys enough credit ;)
And they don't fall when the difference is -3.

Of course, you're free to change these if you want.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »
Always true (though Epic Lemmings Game will not have any physics changes).

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »
I'll have to make up my own values of course, since everything will be at higher resolution :P
I've already started learning SDL.net, which seems to compile my app nicely under .NET 3.5 on Windows and equally as well on Mono under Linux (though, having major issues under OS X). I'm targeting Mono, so Linux users can breathe a sigh of relief as I intend to target Linux and OS X primarily. Windows support will just come as a part of the bundle by coincidence (because Mono's great like that).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 05:12:27 AM »
Good.  Windows crashes so much you probably wouldn't get past a clone of Just Dig!

"Windows has not detected any viruses.  To make up for this issue, Windows will crash constantly."

Probably something it wouldn't do, but then again...  wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 05:59:08 AM »
Not that I see how third party software is the reason why an operating system should be of poor quality, but moving on...

I'll have a mock up of my proposed Just Dig tomorrow, using the Excavation Mine style. Tomorrow or the day after. It'll only be a drawing mind.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
If I run Lemmix under WINE, it doesn't seem to crash upon closing.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 02:23:57 AM »
I haven't really followed this thread much even before the forum move, but I think it's good to keep in mind that a lot of how Lemmings was originally written likely reflected hardware limitations at the time.  For example, instead of doing full bitmap-bitmap collision checks, they basically treat a lot of things as single-pixel points and designed a lot of the game physics around that.

With much faster CPUs today, you should feel free to not follow the original game physics too closely.  It would be best to think more in terms of gameplay to see what aspects of the game physics you should keep and what to change/update.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 02:52:22 AM »
According to Mr. K, DOSBox should be able to support 100 lemmings in a level.
Supposedly it was cut down to 80 because computers of the day wouldn't run it.

So mechanics are effected by computer speed!  If you're feeling bold, maybe you could see if 1,000 lemmings works on modern computers!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
I haven't really followed this thread much even before the forum move

It wasn't around before the forum move. That was GuyPerfect's thread.

Quote from: Dullstar
If you're feeling bold, maybe you could see if 1,000 lemmings works on modern computers!

Probably could work just fine. But I don't know that I could be bothered. :P

I'm still not quite sure how I should go about implementing this. I'm still learning SdlDotNet, though. I don't want to say "it'll be done ... some time" because another project we were all rather anxious has still not come about (by the way, has anyone had contact with Peter Spada recently?). I also don't want to say "it will be done by x date" because I'm still learning how to figure this all out.

I wish I could look at Lemmini's source code, because it's Java and very similar to C#, Okay, maybe not identical, but I could guess my way around at least. I can't get my head around Python, so looking at Tundra's source code is like looking at Greek to me. Looking at something in Java would at least be like looking at Modern English in Shakespeare's day or something (you know, it's the same but no it's not the same).