Author Topic: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums  (Read 13374 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
Thanks to the generosity of Lemmings Forums member Adam, the forums have finally gained a real home.  He has supplied a domain name as well as hosting that should not be going anywhere.

Unfortunately, due to the fiasco with the previous hosting, the forums had to be started over.  Since isamedia.org melted I had no access to the FTP or the MySQL database, with no sign of access appearing in the future.  The previous location of the site will be kept up as long as possible as an archive of the last site, so if there's anything interesting, copy it over to here or save it or something.  I'll see if I can procure a database backup to put on this webspace, though.

I've also done away with that silly portal, as I'd intended to actually make a website but never did, and in the end only a few level downloads were put up since there were far better places to upload them.  Now the forums are the main focus just like they used to be.  I've even put up a theme that's just like the forums were before the portal, and even in the original Lemmings Forums from before I took over.

I'm still working on setting up the Lemmings smileys, Lemmings-specific images in the theme, and some other things, but they'll be up soon.

Enjoy!  Everything works again!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
Re: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:04:29 AM »
Ah, it looks great! Cheers to you and Adam (who I knew was gonna do this anyway :P)

I particularly like the 'Lemmings forums' text in the header. PSP-one. Lovely :D
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »
Hey everyone! We do have a new home!

I'll let everyone know if there's any planned downtime, and I'm happy to see the forums with a new home! Thanks for putting up with my mistakes this afternoon, Mr K!

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:10:15 AM »
Haha, no problem.
I'm just happy to see that the Lemmings community has a working home again.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:11:48 AM »
 :o

Whoa... one minute I'm spamming the old place, and next thing I know I've gotta start all over again. Time to get to work on rebuilding my profile...

It's great to have a (hopefully permanent) home at last. Thanks Adam!

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »
I've registered the Domain name for 12 months with it automatically renewing every 12 months, so we shouldn't be going anywhere quickly!

Clam Spammer... I hope you keep your old avatar! It was amazing!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:29:54 AM »
I was thinking of changing it... but I don't know what to. So the old one it is :D

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 02:34:27 AM »
Nice :) hopefully this should mitigate all of the uncertainty surrounding the old forum.

Mr. K, please keep at your efforts to get a SQL dump of the old forum. Some of the stuff on there (such as file format information, dialogue from Mike Dailly, etc) is far too valuable to lose. Failing that, let us know in advance if you plan to kill the old one off permanently so we can run a quick-n-dirty HTML page-save effort. We're counting on you  8)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:35:09 AM »
The look of this forum sure brings back memories...! I know I don't post often anymore, but it's great to see the community is still around.

Thanks, Adam! :)

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 02:40:33 AM »
Nice :) hopefully this should mitigate all of the uncertainty surrounding the old forum.

Mr. K, please keep at your efforts to get a SQL dump of the old forum. Some of the stuff on there (such as file format information, dialogue from Mike Dailly, etc) is far too valuable to lose. Failing that, let us know in advance if you plan to kill the old one off permanently so we can run a quick-n-dirty HTML page-save effort. We're counting on you  8)
I managed to pick up a database backup from the admin panel.  Additionally, the previous server's owner let me know he does have a backup and will probably send it to me, so we'll have both of those.
I don't have plans to kill of the old Lemmings Community, but instead just make it view only and have it sit until it eventually disappears.  Grab the info and repost it here, though, to make sure it's safe.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:09 AM »
An Error Has Occurred!
Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (size)

I gather there's a 65x65 pixel limit on avatars. I shrunk mine to make it fit and now I get this error.  ???

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 02:47:12 AM »
Oops.  I forgot to change the size limit, and as usual on new forums I set up, there are some problems with uploading stuff.  I'll have both fixed in a sec.

edit: Fixed now.  It is a bug in the forum version, but nothing a little tweak couldn't solve.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 03:00:23 AM »
UPDATE: Old Lemmings Community has already been dismantled by previous host.
He's sending the data tomorrow, so nothing's been lost.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 03:05:01 AM »
That was quick... what a rush :XD:

Avatar problem's fixed now. Thanks!

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 03:06:44 AM »
Looks like the board is up in a read only form at http://henriwatson.com/lemmings/index.php