Author Topic: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the new Lemmings Forums
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 03:44:20 AM »
Well at least we have found a decent site address that is easy to remember. Hail to Mr K! Hopefully this place will be permanent. It looks good too :)

Shame we couldnt get all of the data transfered, but with the old location on read-only we may be able to do it a different way...

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »
Weeeeeeee, we're back.

*updates bookmark to "Lemmings Forums 7"  :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »
Hey. SGB (or was it sb687? I can't remember) here under a different name. I've not posted for what must be at least a couple of years so no worries if no one recognises the name. ;)

I've just seen the email about this place getting a new home so I thought I'd come and check it out. It's given me a bit of a Lemmings itch again - I may even get round to finally finishing the level pack that I started several years ago!

Offline MR_OJR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
Cheers for sorting out a permanent home Adam! I look forward to occasionally contributing to it :-P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:12 PM »
[...]
I managed to pick up a database backup from the admin panel.  Additionally, the previous server's owner let me know he does have a backup and will probably send it to me, so we'll have both of those.
I don't have plans to kill of the old Lemmings Community, but instead just make it view only and have it sit until it eventually disappears.  Grab the info and repost it here, though, to make sure it's safe.
Now that you've finally got the data of the old forum, and considering that the new forum hasn't got much content up to now so that not much would be lost, is there a chance to still set up the forum with a software compatible with the database format of the old forum, or don't you intend to do this? If possible, that would be a decent option to still preserve the old data and keep the continuation of the threads.

Also/alternatively, could you provide a downloadable version of the forum data (threads & posts) like you did last time? I'd be very grateful for this, as that would ensure that the data won't get lost for anyone who decides to save it.

Anyway, thanks Adam/Ksoft that a new lemmings forum is up and running again so quickly.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 08:05:49 PM »
We're on the same software as before, actually.  The big issue with restoring the database to the old one is that I don't have direct access to a MySQL admin software and also only a single database anyway.  Additionally, over the years the thing has become bogged down from server change after server change and there's a lot of mix mashed data in it from old stuff like the switch from phpBB to SMF, and the addition of that crappy portal.
I'll see if I can setup an archival version on here, possibly in text-only mode or something.  Otherwise, I'll take the database backups and remove anything that isn't the post array and put it up and maybe someone can make a nice page for it, kinda like the older Lemmings Forums.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
No, that's not his problem.  He offered hosting for Lemmings Forums.

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 11:23:40 PM »
Damn, There is another Mr. Here... Umm.... How about sir... Can I be a Sir Kiwi?

I did not post much on the other forums, although, some of you know me as the chap with the huge lemmings collection.

It never sold, so eh.... I keep my grubby little hands on if for now...
In the mean time, the issue at hand; I am glad this place happened... It was well needed.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:14 PM »
You chose that name.  You wanted Sir Kiwi, you should of used that username.

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 11:46:25 PM »
How about this...
Hello, I am glad the forum is back...

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 11:51:54 PM »
Hey Mr Kiwi, welcome to the forums!

If you click here, you'll see the page where you can change your display name... I think it can be anything as long as it's not taken!

Adam :)

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I was kidding about the name.  :)

I guess the sarcasm didn't translate as well as I thought.
I wanna keep this name. =D

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 12:05:06 AM »
Sarcasm doesn't really come across that well on forums! It's a useful bit of info to keep if you ever decide to change your name though!

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 12:55:54 AM »
Damn, There is another Mr. Here... Umm.... How about sir... Can I be a Sir Kiwi?

I did not post much on the other forums, although, some of you know me as the chap with the huge lemmings collection.

It never sold, so eh.... I keep my grubby little hands on if for now...
In the mean time, the issue at hand; I am glad this place happened... It was well needed.
Welcome back!  I remember I was going to buy some stuff off you but I never followed through with my offer because I had some unexpected expenses pop up and couldn't afford it any more.

Mr Kiwi

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »
Hehe, no worries... in retrospect; I am kinda glad to still have my collection... Might even add some more to it...

I remember a few years ago me, you and lemmings universe guy were looking into something... I think it was like a lemmings portal; for some reason it never happened.

I am glad this finally came to fruition.

:thumbsup:

Now I have to find a use for all my content... =(