Evidence is a NOUN, NOT A VERB >=E

Started by Liebatron, March 14, 2009, 02:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liebatron

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/evidence

It's not fair... It's a noun, not a verb. You can't just go change it because people feel like using it as a verb. X_X

If it's supposedly a verb used with an object, then what's the Present tense form? Evidence? It just doesn't work as a verb..

Please tell me I'm not insane, that someone other than me cares about this injustice. That someone else knows what 'corroborated' means. And the dictionary.com definition there skews it a bit I think. They say both meanings, but they put emphasis on the 'confirm' part of the meaning. I've never seen corroborate used in a way that means anything but 'prove.' >_<

Sorry for making a poll with a predetermined set of results, but I saw the poll option as I was making the thread and thought "Why not..." So anyway Proven by or Corroborated by would both work depending on the situation.

Adam

Evidenced doesn't make sense. Like you said, 'evidence' is a noun, not a verb. I haven't heard corroborate used to say something is confirmed - only when something is proven.

If evidence is a verb, what would you evidence? - "He evidenced the evidence from the crime scene." doesn't really make sense.

Dullstar

Quote from: Adders on March 15, 2009, 03:35:26 AM
Evidenced doesn't make sense. Like you said, 'evidence' is a noun, not a verb. I haven't heard corroborate used to say something is confirmed - only when something is proven.

If evidence is a verb, what would you evidence? - "He evidenced the evidence from the crime scene." doesn't really make sense.

I LOVE that sentence joke.

Hey, this needs to become a forum game!

Mr. K

No it doesn't.  Dumb idea.

Now honestly, I never remember hearing evidence used as a verb... weird.

Adam

I guess it could be worse...

"Evidently, the evidence we evidenced we did was not enough, so we decided to go back to evidence more evidence."

Dullstar, I love your avatar.

Chmera

"The snail evidenced highly unusual behaviour."

It works in this context, but not in the one presented in the poll. =P

Dullstar

MWAHAHAHAHA!

It's funny seeing words used improperly just because the sentences they make are so stupid-sounding.