Author Topic: Lemmings For Windows (1995)  (Read 8150 times)

BBP

Lemmings For Windows (1995)
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
At the moment I'm playing ONML through Lemmings For Windows, and it's quite buggy. While it has action replay (replay the game in the way you did, and resume normal play from any point in AR), a selecting cursor so you can select a Lem by the direction it's walking, and a fast-forward button, I'm having enough problems with it to ask you:

Is there a patch??

(Bugs: Lems can walk over the top of the playfield, so there's no "ceiling". The cursor will often select a Lem that's not actually in the cursor. And the game jams often, closing itself down and not saving any progress you made in that session.)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings For Windows (1995)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:42:28 AM »
Lemmings95 = Crap! :winktounge:

My suggestion : stop playing and play Dos version or Amiga version instead (if you have an Amiga emulator). I even did an improved Dos version of Lemmings too (which use Amiga levels. The only difference is that instead of 100 Lemmings max, it's 80).
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

BBP

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »
Don't have either one of those versions... I'm pretty happy I've found this version already.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »
The crashes just happen on newer operating systems. Play it on Windows 95 or Windows 98 and it won't crash.

The walking over the top, I consider this more of a version difference (each different system version of lemmings works slightly differently) than a bug.

As for selecting outside the cursor - it just doesn't always select the one nearest to the middle. It's probably picking up one right at the edge.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:50:05 AM »
I disagree about the walking over the top - I'd call it a bug since it doesn't happen on other versions.

I never had any trouble with crashes, though I haven't played this version recently. However, IIRC it saves your progress when you complete each level (evidently yours doesn't).

But yeah, basically what DragonsLover said - get the Dos or Amiga version.

(off topic) I found myself a picture. I hope you all recognise this guy!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »
Personally I'd recommend EricLang's Lemmings Clones for playing:
http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/lemmix.htm

The engine works pretty much exactly like the DOS one, but the advantage is that you can use Fast Forward (pressing 'f') and the Replay feature.
It has its own code system iirc, but there are 'special' codes you can easily access any level you want with.

Quite like your avatar, ClamSpammer, reminds me that I should continue working on the Level Editor for Lemmings II. OTOH, I also have to learn for my upcoming exams...

BBP

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
Well JiHoon: it will even select a Lem outside the edge of the square, and you can see it when there's only one of them.

...I'll continue playing this one... I'm way too happy I solved Cascade. Besides I'm nearly there. And there's nothing you can't work around yet. But it's not very pleasant to shut down the game in order to save it, then restart it. Just to prevent it shutting down by itself and losing all the levels you worked so hard on.

...Thanks for your help, anyway...

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »
You must also note that in Lemmings95, you have less levels and less musics as well. You don't even have the special ones (A Beast of a Level, Menacing...).

But if you're happy with it, good for you. You'll just miss some levels...
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

BBP

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:44 PM »
Yeah... I thought there were replacing levels for them, but I may be wrong.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:05:40 AM »
Nope.

The removed levels are just removed full stop.

This isn't all of them, but the ones I can remember off the top of my head:

Fun: We All Fall Down, A Beast Of A Level
Tricky: Menacing, All The 6s
Taxing: What An Awesome Level
Mayhem: A BeastII Of A Level

Tame: 4 of the levels, not sure which ones
Crazy: don't remember any
Wild: don't remember any
Wicked: Introducing Superlemming
Havoc: don't remember any