Author Topic: Lemmings Revolution  (Read 11914 times)

Rec_rm

Re: Lemmings Revolution
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
A few points that I think should be thrown in, as I really want to get this working. The sound and font issues, as stated in the opening, are purly vista problems. The game works perfectly in xp, I'm trying to find a way around this at the moment. Sadly without much success so far.

As for the patch issue, I have never seen a patch for this game dated later then 2000. The most common that I can find is a 8,533,284 byte patch.box modified june 26 2000. This comes bundled with an 852,042 byte exe modified the same day. This is the patch that came bundled with my version of revolution and was downloaded from a few test servers. To my knowledge this patch does absolutely nothing except increase the patch.box file size from 5,233,255 bytes (what my version is shipped with) and change the exe modified date. Therefore The high dive doesn't work. I can't test the height issue because I haven't gotten to those levels yet.

I have no idea where you got the patch that was uploaded. I would love to run a few tests but to do that I need a copy of the 2004 patch file and preferably the exe that comes with it if it's a different size then the one I mentioned above. Also a copy of the SavedGame.dat would be nice just so I don't have to walk through the levels up to the problem ones. Also simply for curiosity's sake how big is the patch.box file that comes with a clean install on your version?

Although I do feel that unless someone with hacking experience shows up the only real option is to find out what each patch does exactly and switch files depending on the circumstances necessary.

BBP

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:03 AM »
The patch I uploaded is from a slightly later date and is also larger, my High Dive works.
The patch is the one that is on my 2004 reissue CD-Rom (a combination pack with Holiday Lemmings). It's just a zipped version of the executable.
This reissue is suitable for XP.

What re-issue do you have?

I suggest you just keep on playing as all levels except High Dive should work, and there are only 2 levels with fall height issues (Tanks A Lot and My Finest Moment), so don't install the patch I uploaded until you finished those 2. (As My Finest Moment is in the last series at the level selection tree, it should take a while).

Have fun!

Rec_rm

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 10:29:34 PM »
Ok the version I have is a lot older. I don't know too much about the release history of the game but the label says it's designed for windows 98/98 se.

I'm a bit confused because the patch you have linked too in a previous reply is ridiculously tiny (21k as opposed to 8megs) and it doesn't fix the high dive glitch. I wonder if I can get the whole error down.

Fatal application error.
Textures\Cylinder\e14_kf_1\OUT_e14_kf_1_7_0Hi.bmp

It seams to me that this file is either missing or corrupt, but seeing as the whole game installs in .box form it's impossible to get access to the individual file. Unless of coarse anybody knows how to decompress .box files. Oh and I get this with every patch.box file I've tried so far. Methinks it may be the exe file that is the important one. The patch that came on my cd changes the patch.box file but only replaces the exe with the same sized exe. It's possible that they released the wrong exe with the original patch.

edit: If anyone has any ideas about getting the sound and fonts to work right in vista though please join in. I'm actually more interested getting that working then getting one level working. It's not even that late in the game and is more then likely ridiculously easy.

BBP

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »
Have you played "Lock Out" yet? Took me hours getting the timing right.
(There's a film of it on YouTube. Looks like anyone can do without the pesky music...)
But High Dive is indeed ridiculously easy. It's just having to get used to the idea of water lemmings.

Said patch showed up in the Lemmings Revolution directory. There's also a patch-box file on the disk, that dates from 2004. I'm not sure what it contains.
The patch I put online is the one that appears in the install directory, and it dates from 2000. If this patch doesn't work I don't know what else I can do except burning my copy.

BBP

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »
PS I checked my version of Lemmings Revolution, it turns out my CD has v1.01 out of the box. So only thing we need to find out, is the version you have. Could you upload your "out-of-the-box" Lemmings Revolution.exe  and the 2004-dated-patch?
Just discovered the EXE file in unpacked version of the Rom. Just goes to show it took me months just to get used to the Vista Explorer.

Also the AVI files just will not play, not even outside the game. (Some do, but they have only sound) I'm not sure what's wrong with them, perhaps they're outdated. Which seems silly as I possess older games with AVI files that will play on this PC.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
The AVIs always played fine out of the game on my old Windows 98 box that I played Rev on.  I've no clue where the disc is, though, so I can't check here on XP.

You might be missing some older codec or something that is implemented in software for the game.

Rec_rm

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:54 PM »
AvI's work fine for me. Sounds just like a codex issues as mr. k said. I don't know if I've played that level yet though, not to far in revolution myself. Personally I prefer lemmings one better (I know the version sucks but I started playing and still play on the windows 95 one.) I do intend on finishing revolution eventually but seeing as I only got like 10 levels left to go before wrapping oh no, I think I'll stick to that for now.

BBP

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 06:52:09 AM »
Hey! I'm in the same position, Rec! I'm now in Wicked 20 of ONML...  on Lems For Windows... I'm not quitting anymore...

You may be right, Mr K. It's the old-software-discontinuation Windows is pulling off. For instance I can't read the older Windows Help files (like on Lemmings For Windows).