Author Topic: new levelpack database  (Read 11749 times)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
new levelpack database
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:00:43 AM »
here's my unfinished levelpack downloads section meant to give ksoft a run for his money :P
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/levelpacks.php  (it looks pretty lame right now, since there are no levelpacks uploaded)

register and upload your level packs :)
it is currently missing delete and update features (and many others), but I think it's useable (just don't make any mistakes yet  :devil:)

Mr Kiwi

Re: new levelpack database
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:48 PM »
Looks Good =)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
Just wondering, how to deal with levelpacks requiring a special VGASpecX.dat for some levels to be playable?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »
Just wondering, how to deal with levelpacks requiring a special VGASpecX.dat for some levels to be playable?
hmm... I'll put that on my TODO list

edit: I've figured out how I'll handle vgaspec files, but it may be a week before I get time to implement it (and editing will be implemented then as well)

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »
alright, second launch since nobody uploaded anything on the first x_x

editing should work, as well as support for vgaspec should work

let me know if anything is broken (aside from deleting and vgaspec screenshots)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
Weird, even after a week of delay I'm the first one to enter my packs, which is sort of sad. At least my packs got the IDs 1 and 2. :D
Heck, this is awesome, and considering the possibilities once some more levelpacks have been entered...just thinking of level details, stats, searching...
Nice work, Mindless!
Just wondering, the level pictures are newly created everytime one views the pack info page, aren't they? As it always takes some time to load them even though they are only about 2-3kB.

As for the large collection of levels you had there previously, I guess some of them will never be entered by their author due to (sometimes only temporary) inactivity (just thinking of the levels from the VTM site)...I feel those should be added as well somehow, and if the original author happens to re-appear unexpectedly, they could still be replaced.

Oh, just a little nit-pick: the description field doesn't accept line breaks. Or perhaps there could be a short description for the level pack overview and an additional notes field for the levelpack info.

Hey, I'm Medieval Lemming now! The silver username looks much better...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
apparently internet explorer's caching mechanism sucks, so you can't download packs with it :(

Just wondering, the level pictures are newly created everytime one views the pack info page, aren't they? As it always takes some time to load them even though they are only about 2-3kB.
nope, they're cached (or at least, should be).  I guess it's the overhead of PHP and making multiple requests
edit: it didn't help that user-side caching wasn't working properly ;)

As for the large collection of levels you had there previously, I guess some of them will never be entered by their author due to (sometimes only temporary) inactivity (just thinking of the levels from the VTM site)...I feel those should be added as well somehow, and if the original author happens to re-appear unexpectedly, they could still be replaced.
yeah, I'll probably add them in the future

Oh, just a little nit-pick: the description field doesn't accept line breaks. Or perhaps there could be a short description for the level pack overview and an additional notes field for the levelpack info.
that should be simple to fix

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:49 AM »
Anyone that has my packs that wants to add them can do so; I'm too lazy to do it myself though >_<
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Anatol

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 05:36:05 AM »
My (only) level pack is loaded now. That's very cool how it automatically generates pics!!! Great work! :laugh:

Offline Eymerich

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
I was expecting some feedback on my levelpack... but I guess I'll upload there anyways. Enjoy!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »
As for me, it's been a while I didn't create new levels. All my levelpacks are on Garjen's website. So, if you want to add them there, you can do so. Like Insane Steve, I'm too lazy too.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
alright, I've added DragonsLover's and Insane Steve's packs

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »
Whenever I try to download ISteve06 or ISteve09, I get an error saying "vgaspec not found." In fact, it seems nobody has been able to download these. These packs use vgaspec files from the original Lemmings. Could you fix your site to allow these packs to be downloaded?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 02:04:18 AM »
oh... oops, didn't think about that

edit: fixed

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »
Someone has posted a new level pack which uses a missing vgaspec file, so it can't be downloaded.

I think it would be a good idea to require the user to submit the necessary vgaspec files along with the pack. Otherwise, more packs like this may appear on the site, and nobody would be able to download them.

Edit: Also, inform the user of what to do if any levels use vgaspec files from the original Lemmings. This may help with some potential confusion. (Sorry if this stuff has already been implemented; I have never uploaded any packs.)