Author Topic: Lem3D CD Letter Drive Problem  (Read 11247 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Lem3D CD Letter Drive Problem
« on: June 02, 2007, 05:49:40 AM »
Ok, I don't have the original Lem3D CD but I did get the CD soundtracks and put them into an image CD file and running it using Daemon Tools. The problem is that Lemmings3D considers the drive D as the CD drive. But the drive D is a partition of the hard disk and it's on that drive I put Lem3D! How can I tell Lemmings3D to use drive K instead (I know, I have a lot of drives ;P)? Is it possible though?
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Lem3D CD Letter Drive Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:45:46 AM »
Apart from hacking the game, I don't think there's any way... I've never had trouble using a different drive though. Not for CD Audio anyway.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:50:17 AM »
Ok, I don't have the original Lem3D CD but I did get the CD soundtracks and put them into an image CD file and running it using Daemon Tools. The problem is that Lemmings3D considers the drive D as the CD drive. But the drive D is a partition of the hard disk and it's on that drive I put Lem3D! How can I tell Lemmings3D to use drive K instead (I know, I have a lot of drives ;P)? Is it possible though?

Just wondering, are you running Lem3D directly or in DOSBox?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
If you're running it in DosBox, I'd advise against that... although you could also then set your CD drive letter properly that way if you want...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »
If you're running it in DosBox, I'd advise against that... although you could also then set your CD drive letter properly that way if you want...

Lem3D runs fine under DOSBox on my machine, although I'm not using the version with the audio CD.  DOSBox also lets you mount any path as a drive and assign it any drive letter, so you can easily do something like mount d k:\ -t cdrom to map your k: CD-ROM drive to drive letter D for DOSBox.

I kinda doubt that Lem3D really only looks at a fixed drive letter for the audio CD, it's possible maybe it's because you're using Daemon Tools to emulate a CD-ROM drive and maybe DOS programs like Lem3D won't see such emulated drives when run directly.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 01:41:51 AM »
I don't run 3D Lemmings under Dosbox because it's very slow. I run it directly because it's more playable this way. I'm using Win98SE (of course, this is always the common problem! :angry:).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 02:37:21 AM »
I'm using Win98SE (of course, this is always the common problem! :angry:).

Yeah, I don't think Daemon Tools is going to work for you in that case.  Win98 still uses mostly DOS drivers for running DOS programs so they're probably not going to see the emulated CD ROM (although, I haven't used Daemon Tools myself so you might want to check to see if there's some settings that can help you out).

Can't you just burn the image to a real CD?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:58:49 AM »
Even burning the image on a CD, the problem will not be solved as the game will still detect my hard disk (D:) as a CD Drive. Well, I think... I need to test that.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 06:52:32 PM »
I'm assuming that when you said "the game still detect my hard disk D: as a CD drive", you mean you're seeing the following text when the program starts up:

MSCDEX Version 2.95 detected
CD-ROM drive - D: utilised
MCGA/VGA adapter detected
<truncated... >

Let's look and see your system's configuration for the CD-ROM.  Go to Window's Start Menu and select "Run...", then type "sysedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.  A window should open with a bunch of files open in windows.  Click the one for autoexec.bat, and find a line that contains "MSCDEX" somewhere.  Let me know exactly what that line reads, and we'll continue from that point.  (Close sysedit when you're done and click NO if it asks you to save changes.)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »
There's a line with MSCDEX, but there's a REM at the start of it:

Code: [Select]
REM - BY WINDOWS SETUP - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASUSCD01 /V

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »
Hmm interesting.  Do you think you can send me a copy of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files?  They should be found in c:\.

Also, we need to determine the manufacturer/model of your CD-ROM drive.  Go to "My Computer" (I think you can find it either on the desktop or at the Start Menu).  It should list icons for your floppy disk drives, hard disks, and the CD-ROM drive.  Right-click (ie. click with the right mouse button) the CD-ROM drive icon and select "Properties".  A window should pop up, and at the top portion of the window should be several tabs that might read something like "General", "Hardware", "Sharing" etc.  Click on "Hardware", and then write down any information that shows up in the window that would indicate the manufacturer and/or model of your CD-ROM drive (you can send a screenshot too).

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
Oh... I found in Config.sys this line:

Code: [Select]
DEVICE=C:\ASUS_CD\ASUSCD.SYS /D:ASUSCD01
I you want a copy of both files, here are they:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330  T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

REM - BY WINDOWS SETUP - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ASUSCD01 /V

MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=850
KEYB CF,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\KEYBRD2.SYS

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\ASUS_CD\ASUSCD.SYS /D:ASUSCD01
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
COUNTRY=002,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\COUNTRY.SYS
BUFFERS=10,0
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /p
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF /Q
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE I=B000-B7FF RAM D=256 AUTO

The name of the CD Drives are:

LG CD-RW CED-8120B 2.00 as drive F:
LITEON CD-ROM LTN525 as drive E:
Generic DVD-ROM mounted by Daemon Tools as drive K:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »
That's kinda odd.  The CD drives Windows report are LITEON and LG, but the DOS drivers mentioned in config.sys is for an ASUS CD drive.  What's the history of your machine?  Did it use to have a different CD drive or something?

In any case, so far I'm unable to find DOS drivers on the web for either of the 2 CD drives Windows report for you machine.  It's possible maybe they are new enough hardware that the vendors never actually wrote a DOS driver, in which case you wouldn't be able to use those drives in DOS.

As a test, try this:  insert a data CD (not audio CD, data, meaning there are actual files on the CD) into either your E: or F: drive.  Then run the command prompt in Windows (if you can't find it, go to Start Menu, select "Run..." and enter "command", without the quotes and click OK).  In the command prompt, type the command "dir E:\" (without quotes, and change to F:\ if that's the drive you're testing) and press ENTER to execute the command.  This attempts to list the files in the root directory of your data CD.  I'm trying to test whether that works or not.  I'm guessing it doesn't work, but I could be wrong.

[Exit the command prompt when you're done by entering the EXIT command]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 11:18:44 PM »
In any case, so far I'm unable to find DOS drivers on the web for either of the 2 CD drives Windows report for you machine.

You may be in luck.  If the test I mentioned in the post above failed, you could try installing the DOS driver for the LITEON drive.  I found it at driverguide.com and uploaded it here to save you from the barrage of ads:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/liteon-all-dos.zip

Unzip it somewhere on your machine, then run the install.exe to try installing the driver, then reboot the machine.  Then try the test in the post above again to see if E:\ shows up for DOS.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 03:16:13 AM »
That's kinda odd.  The CD drives Windows report are LITEON and LG, but the DOS drivers mentioned in config.sys is for an ASUS CD drive.  What's the history of your machine?  Did it use to have a different CD drive or something?

Maybe at the very very start, there was only the drive C: as the hard disk and drive D: as the CD-ROM drive. But it's toooooo far! But few months ago, instead of the LITEON, I got a DVD drive.

As a test, try this:  insert a data CD (not audio CD, data, meaning there are actual files on the CD) into either your E: or F: drive.  Then run the command prompt in Windows (if you can't find it, go to Start Menu, select "Run..." and enter "command", without the quotes and click OK).  In the command prompt, type the command "dir E:\" (without quotes, and change to F:\ if that's the drive you're testing) and press ENTER to execute the command.  This attempts to list the files in the root directory of your data CD.  I'm trying to test whether that works or not.  I'm guessing it doesn't work, but I could be wrong.

When inserting a CD in drive E:, it works under Dos.
When inserting a CD in drive F:, it works too under Dos.
When mounting a CD Image under Daemon Tools with drive K:, it works as well under Dos.

And I know the main DOS commands, don't worry! ;)