Author Topic: Extracting levels from console versions  (Read 16231 times)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
Re: Extracting levels from console versions
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »
Reading my post back I didn't really word it that well. It was more of an afterthought than anything anyway. Basically Eric created an empty template that he was going to insert the created levels in to if they ever got decided on.

Just thinking the same could be done with the Mega Drive levels. It of course wouldn't be a proper remake, and I hadn't considered the gameplay differences at all. Never mind it then. Here's hoping Eric can add proper compatability for Lemmix instead. :)

I'll start cracking on with the levels anyway.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »
Okay, I've now finished going through the levels. It's the set with the max 100 lems and edited pallette that I've used.

Can you PM your email address ccexplore so I can send them? Or recommend somewhere to upload (Lems File Portal maybe?).

Cheers.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »
Can anyone (ie cc :P) tell me how to get the special graphics levels to work in Lemmix? (I'm assuming it's possible to do so...)

Keeps coming up with an error (it can't find a certain graphics set or something) and I'm out of ideas.

Is there some special place I have to put the new vgaspecx.dat files or something??

Cheers.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 09:04:09 PM »
Can anyone (ie cc :P) tell me how to get the special graphics levels to work in Lemmix? (I'm assuming it's possible to do so...)

Yeah, Lemmix requires you to specify essentially a new graphics style for each special graphics you want to use.  Notice for example how under the "DOS Original Lemmings" styles, in addition to the standard 5, there are 4 styles each corresponding to one of the 4 VGASPEC in DOS Lemmings.

To use the Genesis VGASPECs you'd basically need to do the same thing.  Since I'm at work right now I can't just tell you what to add to LemmixStyles.ini (since I don't have the file with me), but if you look at that file you should be able to find the relevant sections that describes DOS Lemming's VGASPECs.  Copy those sections and adapt them for Genesis, hopefully you can figure it out.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Okay I'll take a look, thanks.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 10:03:36 AM »
Yeah, Lemmix requires you to specify essentially a new graphics style for each special graphics you want to use.

Here's an example of how Lemmix specifies a style for DOS Lemming's VGASPEC0 in its LemmixStyles.ini file:

[DosOrig_5]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC0.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=1
GraphicSetName=Spec0
MetaInfoFile=GROUND0O.DAT

It's similar to the normal styles, the main difference for VGASPEC is the additional specification of a GraphicExtFile and a GraphicSetIdExt.  The GraphicExtFile specifies the filename of the file to use for the VGASPEC graphics.  The directory is already specified as part of the CommonPath property in the [style_N] section that describes the DosOrig style (for Lemmix's "DOS Original Lemmings" style, see section [style_0] where it specifies the CommonPath).

The GraphicSetId and GraphicSetIdExt together identifies the criteria for using this style.  In other words, when you open a level file and you select to use the DosOrig style, if the level's LVL data specifies 0 for the normal graphics set and 1 for the extended graphics set, then Lemmix will use this Spec0 style specified in this section.

=======================

I'm assuming that you've created a "Sega Genesis/Megadrive" style as I've instructed Lemmix users to do earlier in this thread.  In that case, you would want to add the following new sections:

[Genesis_5]
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC4.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=5
GraphicSetName=Beast
MetaInfoFile=GROUND0G.DAT

[Genesis_6]
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC5.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=6
GraphicSetName=Menace

[Genesis_7]
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC6.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=7
GraphicSetName=BeastII

[Genesis_8]
BrickColor=4289761296
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC7.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=8
GraphicSetName=Awesome

[Genesis_9]
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=VGASPEC8.DAT
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=9
GraphicSetName=SunsoftSpecial

(Replace GROUND0G.DAT with GROUND0H.dat if you're using the "H" version of the ground files.)  You'll also need to place the Genesis VGASPECx files into the same CommonPath directory you set in your LemmixStyles.ini for the Genesis style.

If you want to use Lemmix's "DOS Original Lemmings" style instead for playing the Genesis levels, simply add the above sections to LemmixStyles.ini but rename the section as [DOSOrig_N], where N starts off from 1 + the last number used for the existing "DOSOrig_N" sections in the file.  And make sure to place the Genesis VGASPECx files into DOSOrig's CommonPath directory.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
I'd just got it to work as you posted that and was about to post what I'd done myself. :winktounge:

Excellent, thank you.