Author Topic: Lemmings 2: Possible to save ALL lemmings of ALL tribes?  (Read 12817 times)

PIGSgrame

Lemmings 2: Possible to save ALL lemmings of ALL tribes?
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
After a very long time, I installed Lemmings 2 again (glad to see it finally works with DOSBox). As most of you know, you only get "Gold" after solving a level if all remaining Lemmings were rescued, which makes me believe that it must be somehow possible to save 60 Lemmings in EVERY level.

Looking at my notes from around 1998, I saw that I managed to rescue the Shadow, Cave, Outdoor, Beach, and Egyptian tribe completely. My question is: Is it generally possible to pull all Lemmings through in the other tribes? If not, this would mean that there are levels where achieving Gold is impossible at all, which would be kind of unfair.

DrLemmingsham

Re: Lemmings 2: Possible to save ALL lemmings of ALL tribes?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
After a very long time, I installed Lemmings 2 again (glad to see it finally works with DOSBox). As most of you know, you only get "Gold" after solving a level if all remaining Lemmings were rescued, which makes me believe that it must be somehow possible to save 60 Lemmings in EVERY level.

Looking at my notes from around 1998, I saw that I managed to rescue the Shadow, Cave, Outdoor, Beach, and Egyptian tribe completely. My question is: Is it generally possible to pull all Lemmings through in the other tribes? If not, this would mean that there are levels where achieving Gold is impossible at all, which would be kind of unfair.
You don't have to save EVERY Lemming to get a gold. Let's say it's impossible to save every Lemming in a level. If you save the maximum amount possible, you get a gold. (Sorry if that was unclear...)

PIGSgrame

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »
Ah I see, thanks for clearing this up! I didn't remember that, must have been too long ;)

I'm going to play the game again during the following days (or weeks?), let's see if I manage to get Gold everywhere. I just tried Sport1 ("Ceci n'est pas une pipe") a couple of times and finished it with 58 Lemmings. Wasn't aware before that this is possible...

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 01:39:19 AM »
Ah I see, thanks for clearing this up! I didn't remember that, must have been too long ;)

I'm going to play the game again during the following days (or weeks?), let's see if I manage to get Gold everywhere. I just tried Sport1 ("Ceci n'est pas une pipe") a couple of times and finished it with 58 Lemmings. Wasn't aware before that this is possible...
I think there is a glitch or somthing in my version. All you have to do is fence through the wall on the right, and then fence through the big land mass on the left. In my version, the Lemmings actually survive the sheer drop without splatting, even if they're not sliders. You try it. If it doesn't work, go to Gamefaqs.com. They have an entire walkthrough for the game. It says "For the Mega Drive," but I assume the levels are built like that in every version. In case you can't find it, click on "Contribute," click on "Contributer Recignition," look in "G," and look for the name, "GavluvsGA." He wrote it. Click on his name, go to "Walkthroughs," and look under "Mega Drive," (Or Genesis) and look for "Lemmings 2: The Tribes."

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 02:34:02 AM »
You don't have to save ALL lemmings for EVERY levels. Sometimes, you have to kill one lemming or two and you get a Gold medal anyway. I did complete all the levels with a gold medal for each one, so if I'm able, you should be able too.

If you go on The Lemmings Solution website and that you look for some levels, it is shown how many max lemmings you can kill. For example, level 4 of Classic tribe, you can kill one lemming max to get a gold medal. If you kill more, you get a silver medal and then an iron one.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

PIGSgrame

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 09:01:53 AM »
I think there is a glitch or somthing in my version. All you have to do is fence through the wall on the right, and then fence through the big land mass on the left. In my version, the Lemmings actually survive the sheer drop without splatting, even if they're not sliders.
Maybe there are different versions, but my version (PC-DOS CD) only has three flame throwers and one bomber, but no fencers. I tried a bit, but there was no change to make them directly go to the exit.

If you go on The Lemmings Solution website and that you look for some levels, it is shown how many max lemmings you can kill. For example, level 4 of Classic tribe, you can kill one lemming max to get a gold medal. If you kill more, you get a silver medal and then an iron one.
Now that's interesting - in his solution, he says that 3 Lemmings will die in Sports1. I reproduced this and still got Gold, although it's possible to save 58 Lemmings here (I got this yesterday, but maybe this was just a big piece of luck).

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »
I think there is a glitch or somthing in my version. All you have to do is fence through the wall on the right, and then fence through the big land mass on the left. In my version, the Lemmings actually survive the sheer drop without splatting, even if they're not sliders.
Maybe there are different versions, but my version (PC-DOS CD) only has three flame throwers and one bomber, but no fencers. I tried a bit, but there was no change to make them directly go to the exit.

I mean in Sports 1: Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

PIGSgrame

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 04:56:01 PM »
So do I... In my version, Sports1 has 3 flame throwers and 1 bomber, but no fencers. This is true for my original PC DOS CD version as well as for the copy I downloaded from Abandonia. Where did you get your version from?

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
So do I... In my version, Sports1 has 3 flame throwers and 1 bomber, but no fencers. This is true for my original PC DOS CD version as well as for the copy I downloaded from Abandonia. Where did you get your version from?
Gamefabrique.com. It's the Sega Genesis version. You have to use the arrow keys to move the mouse and use the Contol key to click on stuff.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
They have an entire walkthrough for the game. It says "For the Mega Drive," but I assume the levels are built like that in every version.

Actually, no.  There are quite a few differences amongst the different ports of Lemmings 2, so sometimes solutions that work in one version may not work in the other.  Sometimes the level may also be completely different--the SNES port for example has almost every level dumbed down and/or modified in some fashion.

For example, for the Genesis port, one unique thing about it is that on some levels, walls that are supposed to go all the way up to the ceiling of the level actually stops short just one or two pixels, which sometimes allow a lemming to get past the wall directly instead of having to dig/bash/bomb through it.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 10:20:24 PM »
Yeah, Lemmings 2 under Dos and Lemmings 2 under Genesis, Mega Drive or SNES are not the same version. :laugh:

Quote from: PIGSgrame
Now that's interesting - in his solution, he says that 3 Lemmings will die in Sports1. I reproduced this and still got Gold, although it's possible to save 58 Lemmings here (I got this yesterday, but maybe this was just a big piece of luck).

He doesn't say that 3 lemmings will die! He just says how many lemmings can die and having a gold medal anyway. So, if 2 lemmings die, good for you. But if 4 or 5 lemmings die, you will get a silver medal. Do you understand now? If he says that no lemmings can die then you'll have to save ALL lemmings to get a gold medal. If you kill one: silver medal. Anyway, tell me if I'm wrong because I understand it this way.

PIGSgrame

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »
I didn't read it this way, because he hasn't written it as "Lemmings may die to still get Gold", which would be clearer. But you may as well be right, since he hasn't written "Lemmings will die" either. ;)

[edit]Ok, now I know for sure that I am right: He tells how many Lemmings died in his solution! In Sports7 ("The Sun Sign Selection"), he says that no Lemming dies. I solved this level completely different from him and lost 1 Lemming, but still got a gold medal.[/edit]

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 02:51:43 AM »
Ok then. So, when he says how many lemmings die, this is just indicative. This is just for his solution.

Something nice would be to test every level and specify how many lemmings can die to have a gold medal and also, specify if it's possible to save all of them.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 08:43:15 AM »
Regarding the latter, according to this old thread, there are only four EDIT: three levels in the PC/DOS version that are not 100%-able (if I'm not mistaken):

Classic 5 (The Magnificent Severn): lose 1
Classic 7 (So close but so far away): lose 1 - I just tried, it's 100%-able. Solution on request.
Sports 1 (Ceci n'est pas une pipe):  lose 2
Polar 7 (Snowed In!): lose 2

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
Regarding the latter, according to this old thread, there are only four EDIT: three levels in the PC/DOS version that are not 100%-able (if I'm not mistaken):

Classic 5 (The Magnificent Severn): lose 1
Classic 7 (So close but so far away): lose 1 - I just tried, it's 100%-able. Solution on request.
Sports 1 (Ceci n'est pas une pipe):  lose 2
Polar 7 (Snowed In!): lose 2
I just looked it up on "The Lemmings Solution," and my version of Sports 1 looks WAYYYYYYYYYY different. All the other levels look the same though. Except for one thing. In one of the sports levels, there is this thing that looks like a chain that DOESN'T appear in my version. Plus, in my version the Skiier skill doesn't work. What's up with that?
EDIT: Here is a screenshot from my version of Sports 1: