Author Topic: Rather dead, eh?  (Read 21165 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Rather dead, eh?
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
I don't really like Drupal and e107, and with Joomla I can't integrated it with SMF due to some recent license changes that make SMF's Joomla bridge illegal.

I'm kinda trapped with doing TinyPortal because I want forum integration.  I can't count how many sites have annoyed me with having a seperate account for the site and the forum.

I'm going to see what I can find that works with SMF, cause there might be some others.  But, if anything is to be done, I probably have to start working on the site part within the next two or three days.

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
Where can I find that license change?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:29 PM »

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
I see. that's too bad.

Well, I found that Mambo can still be bridged with SMF... If I like it, I will make it happen on http://lemmings.vaarties.nl

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2007, 01:00:13 PM »
I've had concerned messages from a couple people asking whether the URL will change if a site is added... so if you're making something on Mambo there, I don't think a community shift will happen.

However, I've actually taken a look at sites using the Mambo bridge and I like how they make it happen.  I think I may seriously consider it as a base for the site.

EDIT: Well, I mostly like it.  A couple things I'm still looking at.  I still kinda like TinyPortal since it was made for SMF in the first place, but I just sound stubborn.

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
You got a point not changing the url... I don't know how stable this host is?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
This host I'm on is very stable.  I've been on here for more than a year and not experienced too much trouble.  A friend of mine pays for it and lets me freeload.  The only time we've had a huge outage was when it was down for ~a month due to a combination of several events that made my friend unable to pay the bill immediately.  (Obviously, it was sorted out just fine, though!)

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
That's nice to know.

PS I managed to bridge Mambo with SMF:

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
Looks like it works, but my last concern with Mambo+SMF is that it's not really true integration... The links and stuff for forum things like Profile and etc don't show up on Mambo unless you're in the forum.

Additionally, the themes probably won't match because nobody makes themes that are identical for both SMF and Mambo.

There was something else that bothered me but I can't remember what it is right now.