Author Topic: Rather dead, eh?  (Read 21167 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Rather dead, eh?
« on: March 05, 2007, 01:09:06 AM »
Yeah, I've noticed the forums are getting a lot less posts than they used to.

So what's up with that?  Something wrong with the forum?  Is Lemmings going dead again?

If there's anything I can do to make the forums better/more user friendly/prettier, let me know.

We need more TALK!

*smacks random people with megaphone*

Ice_Eagle

Re: Rather dead, eh?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 02:26:49 AM »
Don't smack me!  :mikeembarassed: I'm still around!

And not just more talk, but we need more levels! Why has everyone stopped making levels? Why is nobody reviewing each others' levels?

It's like an abandoned city...

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:59:30 AM »
I think that publicity is a problem; the current Lemmings community is far too fragmented. Searching for "lemmings" in Google brings up... well 2 copies of that DHTML game, the Wikipedia entry, Deinonych, a handful of irrelevant sites and several links to the PlayStation publicity pages.

Someone needs to build on the Lemmings Solution and Mindless' Lemmings File Archive by starting a wiki. It would have level descriptions, solutions to levels, breakdowns about the different platform releases of Lemmings, current level packs + reviews, information on working downloads etc.

It would, essentially, be a complete repository of all known Lemmings information, which would last until the sun runs out of hydrogen to power the internet.

Sure, most of this information is stored loosely as forum posts, but the lemmingswelt.de outage managed to severely curtail the retrievability of this information.

Hopefully a group wiki effort would unite the members, entice a stream of new punters and serve as an identifiable nucleus for promoting the Lemmings community. Does anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:38:48 AM »
Sounds great! I would definitely be interested in contributing to something like that.

Oh, and I am still here, but I am busy with school and other stuff for the time being.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »
Covox, you, sir, are a genius. I would start it myself, right now, were I not busy whacking my own head against the desk for not thinking of it myself.

And yes, I gotta agree the problem is publicity. We shall organise an advertising commitee! Or something. I'm too talkative right now because it's in a random sort of way and I always end up rambling endlessly while barely using commas or punctuation - Argh. There I go again.

Back on topic. If anyone here knows how, I'd start a Lemmings club on DeviantART if only they'd tell me.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:01 PM »
A Lemmings wiki is indeed a brilliant idea!

I had such an idea myself, but I never did anything with it because I first didn't have the server space for a wiki, and because I knew next to nothing about Wiki formatting (and I still don't).  But if someone else would head such an effort, it could come out awesomely.

We could also use it to store all those file format descriptions we've got all over the place.

You'd think we'd have more publicity.  I mean, we're even linked on the Wikipedia Lemmings page.  But meh, maybe not.  Mostly what we've had are people that come in and ask about a technical problem with DOSBox and then leave when they've got their answer.

It also doesn't help that several of the Lemmings sites still standing continue to link to the Lemmingswelt forums and even the old LUDB!  :XD:  (btw.  If anyone cares about archival crap.  I found that my link to LUDB that seems to have stayed in my favorites is still functional.  The place is completely frozen in time, except for a few spambots, with no images working.  I was amazed to read through all that old stuff.)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:55:56 PM »
(btw.  If anyone cares about archival crap.  I found that my link to LUDB that seems to have stayed in my favorites is still functional.  The place is completely frozen in time, except for a few spambots, with no images working.  I was amazed to read through all that old stuff.)
I'd take that. :)

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »
http://www.utahdesign.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi

Seriously still there.  Accessing just http://www.utahdesign.com/cgi-bin/forums/ gives a forbidden error but I seem to have accidentally gone around it.  Rather odd, eh?

Rather slow and broken though.  But the posts are still intact.

Oh, and btw I'm taking this forum and changing the graphics a bit.  We're still using the original generic icons and I'm going to give them a Lemmings spicing.

Also, the forum logo could be updated.  I got bored in PSP and made this:

Keeps the feel of the current logo, but it seems better to me.  Good or no?

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »
Hmmmm....

Yeah, it could work...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:58 AM »
Excellent.  We've got a start.

Not sure how to proceed, though...  I was thinking of copying templates from elsewhere onto the wiki as a base to get us started with making an organized way to see level stats and game info, but nothing I copy over looks right in previews or otherwise.  I suppose those wikis I am copying from employ some extra features.  >>

I'd make one myself but I'm a web/wiki/etc programming moron.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »
Yes sir, we seem to be in business. *Is proud of her quick level summaries*

Also, I'm liking the Forum's new look. Much... Shinier?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
Can we please get rid of those little Lemmings graphics on the sides and bottom of the page? They look weird and they aren't spaced properly (on Firefox). The ones on the left touch the left line, but the ones on the right are spaced farther out. But anyway I just think they are annoying  :XD:

Chmera, I like that template for the levels, but one more thing to add to Stats is Release Rate.

Also! For the levels, how are we going to handle different versions of Lemmings? I mean, I'm all for just doing the DOS version for that section, at least for now, but suppose we wanted to add information for other versions of levels. What do you think would be the most logical way to do that?

I like it so far.  :thumbsup: I have a spring break coming up next week, so maybe I'll flesh out as many level descriptions then as possible.

Edit: OK, this is annoying. Whenever I make ANY edit, I get this message and have to solve an elementary math problem: "Your edit includes new external links. To help protect against automated spam, ... "

Now I understand the purpose, however it is NOT TRUE that my edit includes new external links. All I did was add a line for release rate. Also, I thought logging in would be enough to get around this annoyance, but nope. Any help?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
Edit: OK, this is annoying. Whenever I make ANY edit, I get this message and have to solve an elementary math problem: "Your edit includes new external links. To help protect against automated spam, ... "

Now I understand the purpose, however it is NOT TRUE that my edit includes new external links. All I did was add a line for release rate. Also, I thought logging in would be enough to get around this annoyance, but nope. Any help?

Same problem here... I suppose mental math exercises never hurt anyone, but it does get irritating...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 09:35:51 PM »
I've seen something similar on a different board (it uses phpBB).  The anti-spam detection on web forums generally seem to be pretty lame and will easily declare problems when none exist (for example on the phpBB board, I've found that a post with the phrase "just finished" is always detected as spam ???).

I'm simply not observing a spam problem on this forum, so, is it really necessary to have anti-spam measures turned on?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:51 PM »
@ccexplore: I'm talking about the wiki: http://covox.is-a-chef.com:8080/lemmings/

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 10:45:40 PM »
I'm simply not observing a spam problem on this forum, so, is it really necessary to have anti-spam measures turned on?

Actually we were referring to the wiki.  ;)

On an unrelated note, I'm now redirecting the forums on my site to here, since mine are deader. :P

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 11:25:33 PM »
Ok, so I took off the little tiling Lemmings background I added to here to add a bit more depth.  It wasn't great anyway.

I'm still working on using Lemming animations to make new buttons and stuff for the theme.  And I need to fix the smilies, which don't seem to be all working.

On a more relevant note, the wiki seems to have gotten off to a decent start.  Nothing fancy, but fanciness can come as it pleases.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 12:15:04 AM »
Does the mental math exercise thing appear even when you've logged into an account? Oh dear. *fiddles with mediawiki config*

Also, does anyone want ops privleges?  :winktounge:

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 02:05:05 AM »
Does the mental math exercise thing appear even when you've logged into an account? Oh dear. *fiddles with mediawiki config*

Yes.

Also, does anyone want ops privleges?  :winktounge:

* Mindless raises hand :D

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 05:11:49 PM »
Er. I suppose I could be an op... I don't know.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »
It appears that the Lemmings Solution has died... I think I have an archived copy somewhere that I can put up...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »
I have a number of the solutions (I think Mayhem and most of ONML and Lemmings 2) somewhere.  I saved them onto my brother's hard drive since he couldn't use the internet.

I'll see if I can dig them up or whether they were lost when we moved stuff to his new computer.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 01:34:09 AM »
Edit: Odd... it's back.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 07:19:20 AM »
It appears that the Lemmings Solution has died... I think I have an archived copy somewhere that I can put up...

The Wayback Machine has archived copies of it, though I guess you don't need them anymore at this point.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
Okay. I haven't been editing the wiki as of recently as I happen to have a life to attend to. But what about all of you people? We're gonna need more than one person if we're going to put a description for every single level. And no one's made an edit for over a week! Seriously, I can't do everything around here... *grumblemumblerant*

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 10:03:58 PM »
I'm throwing in the "coursework too hard" towel. Those process engineering reports don't write themselves you know! :XD:

Ah well, give me until May (when my 3 parallel project schedules end) and I'll start micromanaging like a lunatic again.

(I know, I know, I shouldn't have started it if I couldn't see it through, however I grossly underestimated the amount of work I'd be assaulted with each week)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 02:13:09 AM »
I was planning on filling in a bunch more level descriptions over my break, but it didn't happen  :XD:

And now I'm busy with schoolwork again, but I will try to find some break time to just sit down and do some mass edits.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 03:34:41 AM »
I have a lull in schoolwork, so I may take up a few levels.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 02:42:27 AM »
Even if I don't come often, I'm still there.

Also, do you plan to add the link of your Lemmings Wiki on Wikipedia?
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 04:12:37 PM »
I'd do it if I knew how. I don't know how to add external links. :P

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:30 AM »
I did it! I even included the forums! Just delete them if you disagree.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:13 AM »
Somebody did.  They removed them with the comment "removed linkspam".

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:09 PM »
Probably because I'm not a member of Wikipedia. :sad:

I included these links as a "guest".

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
Wikipedia is pretty picky about what they have on theor entries. For some things, they're happy that anyone even put in an entry, but for more comonly known things, you have to be extremely elaborate in your explanation.

"Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit!*

*With advanced programming skills, moving diagrams and a Phd in the field." :tongue:

BTW:I've been gone forever due to excessive school stuff

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 05:47:57 AM »
Hello??? Is this forum still alive?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:43 AM »
Wikipedia is pretty picky about what they have on theor entries. For some things, they're happy that anyone even put in an entry, but for more comonly known things, you have to be extremely elaborate in your explanation.

I think it really depends on who else is watching the entry at the time and what their attitude is regarding what a "good" article is.  Some people in Wikipedia still holds to the notion (which frankly I think is a little delusional given the nature of Wikipedia) that it's trying to be a "real" encyclopedia, and so to them, articles should be informational and not trying to do everything like a fansite might.

From observations, current trend in Wikipedia tends to be wary of links to forums and blogs--many game forums tend to be either social (ie. mostly off-topic stuff) or Q&A (ie. help I can't solve this level), and blogs are often biased and opiniated.  Thus in that line of thinking, neither are particularly "informational enough" to warrant a link from Wikipedia.  No big loss really, given how dead this forum has been currently. :XD:  I do think that once covox's Lemmings wiki is in better shape, it'd be justified to add a link to it in Wikipedia.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »
Woooo.  I'm here.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »
Yay!

We seem to be in an activity upswing, so join in on the fun.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »
Yay. Happy funtimes.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
Okay :P

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 06:42:45 PM »
...It's died again. :-\

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »
But I'm still here...so I come and it dies?  grr...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »
It's not really that dead, is it?

I think we really need to find exposure though.  Several places are, IIRC, still linking to the Lemmingswelt boards or even the ancient *gasp* LUDB.

=/

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
Indeed. That ain't good.

EDIT: Methinks we should give the dude who runs LU a kick.
EDIT2: Kick administered.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 09:33:44 AM »
Hello all.

I'm the author of "The Lemmings Solution" and read here and there that people think the site is dead sometimes.

Here's an explanation:

- I host the site on wanadoo.nl (now orange.nl)
- It's a free host
- The host has a downloadlimit
- Regularly the downloadlimit will be reached, hence there are a lot of images and people just like to watch them (I know I do :D )

Well, If the site just redirects you to wanadoo.nl / orange.nl, just wait until midnight CET as that's the moment the counter is reset I think.

PS I added a link to this forum to increase publicity.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »
Thanks.

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2007, 02:12:30 PM »

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 10:41:14 PM »
Thanks indeed!

And personally, your site's never been down for me.

PS. my younger brother loves your site and has printed out most of it on paper for reference. =P

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
http://www.utahdesign.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi
It seems to have a lot of spam. I clicked on a link and it took me to what looked like a porn site. I'll never click on a link in old forums again.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »
It's a pretty obvious thing.

In the years since it passed on, it's still been running the same old forum software which is now ridiculously outdated.  Although back then it was really effective against preventing spam, its measures have long since been circumvented by newer spambots which can now easily get through and spam.

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
I hate spam!!!
:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2007, 02:18:09 PM »
Who doesn't?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »
The manufacturers of the food that goes by the same name.

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think they named spam (The junk kind) after that Monty Python spam skit. (Because of all the unwanted spam ["Well, we have spam, spam and eggs, spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam" etc])

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »
I've heard internet-spam defined as '(Stuff) Posing As Mail' and the meat-spam defined as '(Stuff) Posing As Meat'. So yeah, that's my explanation...

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2007, 03:29:09 PM »
Huh? :huh:

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2007, 07:28:12 PM »
What?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2007, 01:41:23 AM »
The silence here is starting to become depressing.  It seems we've lost the whole level making crowd somehow. :(

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »
Maybe it's because of the holiday season ?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »
I dunno about that.  I, personally, haven't left my house that much.

But yeah, it's getting ridiculous.  Maybe the Lemmings community is starting to dry up completely.  Is the site looking a bit dated?  Do we need a redesign?  Do we need something gimmicky to give people a reason to be here?  Anything?

Something must be done...

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »
Mmn, doubt we need gimmicks or whatever. Everyone's on holiday, as was I.

Either that or everyone got up and left because they just wanted to talk to me. Yay?

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
*double post due to dormancy*

Our problem is that we were niche before sony made Lemmings PSP and PS2, and now that has a level editor and is far more popular, we're getting even more niche. We need to contribute something special and unique, methinks. Maybe give Project Continent another go, people?

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »
Hey, just checkin in, I'm still alive.  :)

My laptop's hard drive died last month. It gave me a fair bit of warning, so I was able to get pretty much everything backed up. I forgot to back up my Firefox bookmarks though, and these forums were one of those "out of sight, out of mind" kind of things for me recently.

Late last year, I was working on a database for the Lemmings Remake, but then the server I was using to host that died. It's up and running now, but I had lost interest and was busy with school by that time. Maybe if I started that back up again some people would come back to contribute to the Lemmings Remake, but at this point I'm not sure...

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2007, 06:19:18 PM »
I think you should combine the forum, the solutions and the game info into one slick website. Where all Lemmings games are described.

And start with the playstation versions since those are hot at the moment.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »
Aye. This site and yours should pair up.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2007, 02:20:31 AM »
It is an interesting idea.  There is CMS software that neatly integrates with this forum software.  I could set up some prominent members to give them editing permission so they could help assemble the site and keep it as up to date as possible including news posts and stuff! Having several maintainers would keep the site from falling into nonupdateness like other Lemmings sites.  And it is all dynamic.

I would be game to do it, but I'd need some brainstorming for a name and also some graphics artists to Lemmingify the site more.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:29 PM »
I'm all up for both, sir.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2007, 06:37:28 PM »
I'm up to start installing the stuff now, but I'm going to wait for more community approval, just in case us few are the only people OK with it. =P

Also, anyone interested in being part of the site team, let me know now or when it's up and I will give you access.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 10:25:45 PM »
CMSs generally suck.  I'd go more for integrating with covox's wiki or something...

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »
I don't believe there is any developed SMF/Wiki integration thingy.  Plus, I don't think wikis should be used in place of actual websites.  It seems kind of annoying to me.

Also, I worked with this CMS (TinyPortal) about a year ago when it was still in alpha, and it worked pretty good then.  I was personally impressed.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »
...Anyone else have an opinion on this?  I'm running out of days of summer, and pretty soon I'll barely have time to set anything up.

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »
...Anyone else have an opinion on this?  I'm running out of days of summer, and pretty soon I'll barely have time to set anything up.
I like the idea of merging the sites.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2007, 12:15:08 AM »
Hi.  I remember this place from time to time.

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
I like the idea of merging the sites.

I reserved http://lemmings.vaarties.nl for a nice up-to-date site and if all goes well, http://games.lemmings.com will be forwarded to http://lemmings.vaarties.nl :D.

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26:35 AM »
I'm playing with http://drupal.org/ for the site.. looks nice :).

Am also playing with:

http://www.joomla.org/

and

http://e107.org/

Demo's:
Drupal
Joomla
e107

Note: you need to login on those sites.

Please tell me which one you like best.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2007, 12:02:33 PM »
I don't really like Drupal and e107, and with Joomla I can't integrated it with SMF due to some recent license changes that make SMF's Joomla bridge illegal.

I'm kinda trapped with doing TinyPortal because I want forum integration.  I can't count how many sites have annoyed me with having a seperate account for the site and the forum.

I'm going to see what I can find that works with SMF, cause there might be some others.  But, if anything is to be done, I probably have to start working on the site part within the next two or three days.

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
Where can I find that license change?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:29 PM »

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
I see. that's too bad.

Well, I found that Mambo can still be bridged with SMF... If I like it, I will make it happen on http://lemmings.vaarties.nl

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2007, 01:00:13 PM »
I've had concerned messages from a couple people asking whether the URL will change if a site is added... so if you're making something on Mambo there, I don't think a community shift will happen.

However, I've actually taken a look at sites using the Mambo bridge and I like how they make it happen.  I think I may seriously consider it as a base for the site.

EDIT: Well, I mostly like it.  A couple things I'm still looking at.  I still kinda like TinyPortal since it was made for SMF in the first place, but I just sound stubborn.

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
You got a point not changing the url... I don't know how stable this host is?

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
This host I'm on is very stable.  I've been on here for more than a year and not experienced too much trouble.  A friend of mine pays for it and lets me freeload.  The only time we've had a huge outage was when it was down for ~a month due to a combination of several events that made my friend unable to pay the bill immediately.  (Obviously, it was sorted out just fine, though!)

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
That's nice to know.

PS I managed to bridge Mambo with SMF:

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
Looks like it works, but my last concern with Mambo+SMF is that it's not really true integration... The links and stuff for forum things like Profile and etc don't show up on Mambo unless you're in the forum.

Additionally, the themes probably won't match because nobody makes themes that are identical for both SMF and Mambo.

There was something else that bothered me but I can't remember what it is right now.