Author Topic: Negative mass?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
Negative mass?
« on: November 24, 2006, 04:40:53 PM »
I was in a restaurant, and I was thinking about random stuff. Then, my mind reached out and plucked something, I presume, out of my subconscious. I started thinking about black holes, and then a thought came in: "could there have ever been anything that had negative mass? And if there ever was, why isn't it in plain sight now?" Then I realized that if there was negative mass, then the gravitational effect would also be reversed, because of how gravity works (still no idea why it works.) Then, I thought about Einsteins theory with the space fabric and came back around to black holes. If this is a black hole,

_____     _______
        |   |

and it sucks everything in, then would something with infinitely negative mass be like this?

_______|   |______________

(mind that you think of this on a 3D type way)

and push everything away? Then I got to thinking about how two negatives would attract and stuff like that. I got home, and decided to look this up and see if anyone else had thought along the same lines as me.

Einstein and Newton beat me to it.(I should've known, it seems sometimes, like they both had time-travel/thought-reading machines)

Antigravity and conventional physics

In both Newton's law of gravitation and the general theory of relativity (Einstein's theory of gravitation), a requirement for antigravity to be possible is the existence of negative mass. Most scientists regard negative mass as a purely hypothetical concept with no basis in reality. However, there is nothing in physics to say that it is actually impossible. A related idea that has been discussed by theoretical physicists involves gravitational shielding.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/antigravity.html

"Antigravity and conventional physics

In both Newton's law of gravitation and the general theory of relativity (Einstein's theory of gravitation), a requirement for antigravity(my earlier, depending on what you mean by earlier, idea that negative mass would go away from positive mass) to be possible is the existence of negative mass."

Share your thoughts on this matter :tongue: please.

Negative inertia- How might this work? Things that want to slow down if they're moving and vice versa?

Negative infinitely (un?)dense mass- white holes hills(in the generic stuff we label as space fabric)?

Negative mass through gravitational shielding- Possible? or not?

What would happen if you had a cup of negative water and positive mass water, and you mixed them.

Is that last question possible, or would you have different elements on the periodic table that go back past hydrogen that are negative.

This would make my science teacher's head hurt, everything else seems to, but I think she just says that without meaning it. Not making any conclusions about that though. anyways, I think it'll be interesting to see what you think on this matter.

BTW: Just wondered what these looked like:  ;D  :D  :-*  :-[  :-X  :embarassed:
                                                       EDIT: ???     ^

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: Negative mass?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »
What would happen if you had a cup of negative water and positive mass water, and you mixed them.

Is that last question possible, or would you have different elements on the periodic table that go back past hydrogen that are negative.

Hmm, I think an element with an atomic number of 0 would be called a proton, and then an element with an atomic number of minus 1 would probably be (-)Hydrogen, keep going like this and you end up with compounds such as (-)H2O for negative water and (-)CO2 for negative Carbon Dioxide. Carry on this madness and chemical reactions involving negative compounds would end up a bit like (-)C6H12O6 + 6O2, which would just be the same as taking C6H12O6 from 6O2. But that isn't possible, is it?
No, actually, that would be theoretically possible, since you can theoretically have negative compounds. And since it's possible have negative of everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if Antimatter did exist somewhere.

Negative infinity is just a number, I don't think anything can actually have a value of Negative infinity, come to think of it, I don't think anything actually has a negative value, not realistically, a negative value just implies something taken away, so nothing can be negative not even matter.

This probably doesn't help, because I'm just as confused as you are. :sick:

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »
My science teacher's head is going to hurt on monday  :P.

What do you mean by negative hydrogen? When I say negative mass, the message I attempt to convey is an object or particle with positive amounts of volume, but negative weight. or, if you've ever seen a picture of a planet making a 'depression in space fabric', could you have something that has the opposite effect on this generic fabric stuff?

Also, isn't hydrogen already just a proton? Really, wouldn't the Zero mass element simply be nothing, and the -1 per atom atomic weight atom be one negative proton with one positive proton? Or it could be a nothing attached to a neutron... Or two neutrons attached to nothing... Interesting, isotopes of nothing.

I think that to figure this out, you would have to break this down further than the proton and neutron, and look into what actually gives a neutron its weight. As far as modern physics suggests, as a part of string theory, that would be the sparticle. How the heck does that work then? Is this the end? Is this the point where you say that it is because IT IS? or can you break the sparticle and string down even further. Also, the gravitron that you attach to both of those, if you took IT out but left everything in, (People will be able to do this with their solar phones in the year 3450 I'll bet) you would have the weight, and inertia would act on the object, but gravity wouldn't, correct? Another interesting thing to think about, but to the point:
-What makes a sparticle have weight?

elementary school math question:

If you have two apples and you take away one, how many do you have?

Elementary school is misguiding because it doesn't ask the kid WHAT HAPPENS TO THE APPLE AFTER THAT!?

It has been agreed upon that all particles can be divided into fermions and bosons. A fermion makes matter and can't have more than one in the same place. A boson can have infinite of them in the same place, and transmits energy. Does anyone have any information regarding the way the two of them interact? I think i might have an (billion too many) idea(s).

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:07:34 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter

Not even antimatter has negative mass.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:24:50 AM »
If there is no true negative, does that reflect a flaw in the way the current math system(s) are currently commonly viewed?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
Is it even possible for something to have negative mass? If I'm understanding this in any way possible, you are saying that the mass of something can be less than zero in pretty much any way of measuring mass.

Isn't mass WEIGHT? How could that equal a number less than zero? If that's possible, explain!

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 01:08:02 AM »
I got this idea but I'm not really sure if it's possible or not, so that's kind of why I made this thread *shock, awe* =P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:15:14 AM »
???

Very confusing... :P

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
Isn't mass WEIGHT?

That's where a lot of people get confused - mass and weight are two separate things.

Mass is the amount of matter present in a body meaning that the mass of an object remains the same anywhere in the universe. Mass is normally measured in Kilograms.

Weight is the force that a given mass feels due to the gravity at its place. Weight is measured in Newton.

So, on Earth, if your mass is 75kg, then your weight is approximately 750N. This is due to Newton's second law - Force = Mass x Acceleration. Therefore Weight = Mass x Acceleration due to Gravity. Acceleration due to Gravity on earth is approximately 10 m/s2

On the Moon, Acceleration due to Gravity is about 1/6th of what it is on Earth, so your weight would be 125N.

It is possible to have a weight of zero, but it isn't possible to have a mass of zero.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »
Oh...

I still don't get this...

This is way more interesting than what I'm learning in science class.

AND WHY IS THERE A PICTURE OF SOMETHING THAT THERE PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE A PICTURE OF ON PAGE 482 OF THE TEXTBOOK?!

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:14 AM »
The pictures in Science Textbooks never make any sense. They're just there to make the book thicker, and cost more.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
Science textbooks with diagrams of private parts?  THAT'S what was on page 482.