Author Topic: trying to attach too large causes error and text loss  (Read 202 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
trying to attach too large causes error and text loss
« on: March 26, 2024, 01:27:49 AM »
I could've sworn we discussed this in the past and it was addressed but I did a quick search and can't find anything and this is still happening to me.

problem: if you're writing a PM then you attach a file that is larger than the limit then press post or preview the page will load forever or take very long then reload the same page and delete all your text but give no error message or indication of what went wrong. Since I figured this out long ago I could avoid it but it's been a while and I forgot about it; luckily I managed to copy/paste my text away before it got 'eaten' by the forum. The site should give you some warning about the problem; especially to newcomers who might not see the size limit (which is written quite small underneath the message box). and it shouldn't remove all your text. Especially troubling if you've written quite a lot, then lose it all and don't know why.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: trying to attach too large causes error and text loss
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 06:17:29 AM »
I need to update to the latest version of SMF (there's 2.0.19, as well as the 2.1.x line which is a more significant project to upgrade due to potential compatibility issues with mods like PM attachments). If it's still broken after that, I may need to look into what can be done.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)