Author Topic: 1984 in the making?  (Read 10583 times)

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
Re: 1984 in the making?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »
Yeah, I guess you're right. For them to work, there needs to be a defined dividing line between social crimes and actual illegal stuff. The only concern I have is that people will begin punishing people based on the cameras. After this happens, because of their all pervasive-ness, the idea ill evolve that 'the camera doesn't lie'. And if it doesn't lie, it's never wrong. Then, the social crimes people are 'commiting' will be punishable by law.  :scared:

drum

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 04:00:13 PM »
We had a similar program to NetOp / NetStar, though for some reason I can't remember the name of it. NetSomethingorother...

Anyway, for some reason the install file was left on the public network at school, so I installed it on to one of the computer in the ICT room, and it allowed me, a user with almost guest-esque privledges, to control this program with the power of an admin. Very insecure!

I'd ammassed a crowd of people behind me, kind of like when you're doing well on a coin-op game in an arcade, and they were all egging me on to do something crazy, so I highlighted every computer in the school and reset them. I don't condone this by the way! It was really easy, but it didn't stop me from becoming a school legend, lol :D.

It messed up the Business Studies students' coursework, which is a bit of a bummer. In every school report that year, the Business Studies students all got fairly good reports because the school had to apologise for losing coursework.

Ahh the good old days, that was 6 years ago now...

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 11:30:55 PM »
Interesting...I just convinced five out of ten people that 2+2 can equal ten. Not 4 year olds, the youngest person I tried to convince was 14 years old.  :shocked:

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 12:57:51 AM »
That's really interesting about reseting all the computers... :shocked:

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 01:17:06 AM »
I read a magazine article about someone who reset all of the school computers somewhere about 6 years ago. It said 3 years ago, but I read it 3 years ago too. could that have been you? :laugh:

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 03:51:39 AM »
..interesting, 1984 in videogame form.̆ This makes me wonder what the original syndicate game was about. Also, why did you make your post say "KEEP MOVING"?

Whoever has time, and feels like doing it, please try to convince people that 2+2 can equal 5, the results can be interesting.

how's Brown doing? Isn't he the guy who suggested this in the first place? Are the cameras even still there? What's the status on them? Are there more of them? It's been awhile now since we first heard about them.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 05:52:54 AM »
The Syndicate series models the domination of the global economy by a single corporation (known as Eurocorp). You control four cyborgs, which are given mission goals like blow up a building, get a VIP etc.

In Syndicate Wars it's gotten to the point where Eurocorp has complete control over the populace, to the extent that citizens are fitted with mind control chips. In the game, citizens wander about mostly oblivious to your cyborgs blowing things up, "recruiting" people with the Persuadatron,  and shooting "unguided" cultists from the Church of the New Epoch. "KEEP MOVING" is one of the things periodically shouted out of giant loudspeakers at the comatose population.

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 01:20:19 PM »
Ok, thanks I didn'thave time to read the whole thing in depth earlier. :tongue:

kyevan

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2007, 02:31:46 PM »
If people can actually believe in something so nonsensical as doublethink, then I think it may actually be possible to create Oceania in the real world...spooky.
While reading a fantasy, you 'know' that that world is real, that magic works, etc, but at the same time, you 'know' that you're just reading a story.

Wait a sec... when hearing a report on the chocolate ration being reduced, you 'know' you were warned about this, but at the same time, you 'know' that the paper said it wouldn't be...

The only difference between doublethink and suspension of disbelief is how far you take it.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »
Indeed.