Author Topic: Game glitches  (Read 11585 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Game glitches
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
Anyway, did you try to change Zorn's lemming to require you to get up higher already? And another thing, in the old forum I found a not-working link from you to a 'Hard.zip', is it possible to get that anyway? Finally, if you need any help on whatever, feel free to ask me whenever you want and I'll try to help.
I've been too busy with my dissertation and Repton 3 lately to have much time for Lemmings this last month... now the dissertation is done I should get back to Zorn's Lemming, that one had the potential to be a nice level.

"Hard.zip" was an early collection of ten levels: Have a bash at this!, Rockabye Baby, Bound for Lemming Heaven, The Crystal Maze, Down Among the Dead Lemmings, Lemming Dilemma, Up on the roof, It's all about survival, The Simultaneous Display, Lemmy out of here! They were my first efforts, and naturally ccexplore and Insane Steve found tons of backroutes, so when I did my new styles I set about converting the easiest-to-de-backroute ones first, which is why some of those have since turned up in my later sets while the others are still on the drawing board.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »
Do you not think there are enough levels for your skill level? You can get DOSBox on your Mac, right? Then CustLemm should be open to you, with tons of easy/medium/hard/ridiculous levels. Gareth's (Garjen), Conway's, and Insane Steve's packs are all very good, and that's over 200 levels just with those three authors. Of course there are harder packs in tseug's, geoo's and some others, but there are also easier packs from other authors.

Ah... the trouble is Cheapo has kind of spoilt me, it's difficult to go back to not having the replay feature available, buggy though it was. You're right though.... maybe now I have more free time I should give it a go.

I'm not sure what Lemmini and Lemmix have to do with the point of your staying on here, unless you meant that you want more Cheapo-type levels rather than CustLemm-type.

I meant that since people are going off Cheapo, no-one appreciates my styles, so I don't even have that excuse for staying  :tongue:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
Instead, I've been getting the feeling more and more that this place is about the good people designing levels that only they can solve.

Hmm...well to be fair, no one has really tried designing any levels recently with the exception of geoo89 and tseug.

Although I think this is a natural progression that started way back with I don't know, Shvegait and Conway and Insane Steve and even Steaver (who mainly did Cheapo levels), and probably those before them.̆ There has always been a steady progression towards harder levels and even more glitches, I guess we've just reached a point where perhaps this is getting a little out of balance.

I guess we need more people designing a better variety of levels.

It is a shame that Cheapo has lost popularity throughout the years, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure why (and you know that I'm a little "bah" on the attitude of some people that seems to think Cheapo is not as good because it doesn't feel as much like the original game).̆ I still like Cheapo for its better customizability, such as ability to define your own styles--and you have definitely showcased some very good use of that I might add.̆ Perhaps with further development on the Lemmix project we can come up with something that becomes the best of both worlds.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 09:08:41 PM »
Ah... the trouble is Cheapo has kind of spoilt me, it's difficult to go back to not having the replay feature available, buggy though it was.

Sounds like you want to download Lemmix:

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/lemmix.htm

It will support original DOS Lemmings, DOS ONML, and CustLemm, but with both replay and fast forward supported.  And certainly less buggy then Cheapo's.

Admittedly it is still in alpha stage and no doubt you'll find some annoyances here and there, but at least EricLang is much more active and continually working on Lemmix compare with Peter Spada. :tongue:

I meant that since people are going off Cheapo, no-one appreciates my styles, so I don't even have that excuse for stayinğ :tongue:

Yeah, I'm quite sorry to hear that (after all, I do have a minor stake on that as I worked on some of the MIDIs used in the styles...); on the other hand, I can tell you most sincerely that I will always appreciate your levels.̆ The few that you have released, are already highlighting your gift of combining interesting to solve levels with interesting to look at visuals.