Author Topic: Cornerstone, backroutes  (Read 2851 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Cornerstone, backroutes
« on: November 23, 2021, 11:01:57 PM »
I did just a quick search and didn't see any mention of the level cornerstone. I solved it pretty quickly and easily imho with builders left over. My solution is just a bit simpler than the solution from the proof archive, which also has builders leftover. Is this a backroute?? Level seems easy for it's place to me.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Cornerstone, backroutes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 11:44:54 PM »
is this the appropriate place to post this??

regarding Cornerstone and my previous post; I discovered a simple way to fix that backroute (if it is a backroute);

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 11:33:01 PM »
Your solution doesn't have builders left over, it has 3 bashers and 1 floater left over.:lix-grin: In total, it uses 3/3 imploders, 2/2 builders, 2/5 bashers and 0/1 floaters.

Today, I found exactly this backroute to Cornerstone myself. I can try to fix Cornerstone as you describe, but I don't know the intended route. Would you like to give it a shot yourself, and re-cover the new version with a solving replay?

I'll look at the intended route only when nobody else wants to fix it.

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 10:56:26 PM »
I assume then that all replays in the database are in fact intended? Just asking cause the replay is by Proxima and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Geoo hasn't commented yet.

If this is fine I can make the fix, yes.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 11:03:55 PM »
No, replays in the database aren't all guaranteed to be intended routes. Some can be re-coverings after a physics change. Only after a while, we started caring to have at least one intended route when covering.

The replays aren't judged to be backroutes or intended. Judging replays, and writing this into the replay itself, is an important long-term idea.

But I think you can implement your fix. As long as it removes this most surprising shortcut, it improves Cornerstone.

-- Simon