Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Portal animation appearance and length  (Read 3649 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Portal animation appearance and length
« on: December 10, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
Currently, the portal has a kind of "twinkle" effect over the lemming for 3 frames before, and 3 frames after, he moves to the receiving portal. The lemming himself is invisible on the last frame before moving, and the first frame after moving.

I'm not particularly opposed to keeping this design itself to be honest, but if anyone has other ideas, let's hear them.

Since the public exp is not out yet, here's a video of the current effect in action: https://youtu.be/vTJvH0AbZgo
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:43:53 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Portal animation appearance and length
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 06:12:46 PM »
Everyone's happy with the current settings, then?

The visual effect can be tweaked later if there's strong preference for it, but once we go to RC, the timing will be locked in.

* RC is not imminent at this stage, to be clear
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 09:35:55 PM »
The timing seems fine. Instant would look a bit odd, with no visual indication that anything has happened other than the lem disappearing suddenly. A few frames with a flashing star seems the best way, for sure.

Just one question: is the flashing star graphic baked into the object, the portal code itself, or is it a lem state?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 10:16:12 PM »
Just one question: is the flashing star graphic baked into the object, the portal code itself, or is it a lem state?

It's globally-fixed, much like the Stoner graphic. This could be changed, but won't be changed until the Portal is confirmed for inclusion. You can find the graphic in gfx/mask/ if you wanted to experiment with modifying it; it's not possible (without altering the code and recompiling NL) to change the number of frames.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 01:30:36 AM »
Doesn't seem anyone has much to say on this, so I think we can assume the current setup is fine. The graphic could still be changed during the RC phase if we feel it's necessary.
My Lemmings projects