Author Topic: Lemmings Challenges  (Read 13742 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Challenges
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »
That's exactly the solution I used.

tseug

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2006, 04:53:19 AM »
I tried 100% Crazy 19 and ended up going through the ceiling...

It only uses 5 builders btw.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
Check out the Lemmings solutions topic... using Lemmix you can view solutions to levels that people have uploaded.
Does it work on Mac OS?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 08:17:07 PM »
Check out the Lemmings solutions topic... using Lemmix you can view solutions to levels that people have uploaded.

Does it work on Mac OS?

Sorry, it only works under Windows.̆ Moreover, Lemmix emulates only the DOS version of Lemmings and ONML, so some solutions aren't guaranteed to work (ie. might require slight modifications, or just totally won't work) on the Mac version of Lemmings.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 06:58:22 AM »
I am thinking about using FreePascal (instead of Delphi) which, I believe, supports a lot of platforms. So maybe in the future Lemmix will be more or less platform independent.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »

Does it work on Mac OS?

Sorry, it only works under Windows.̆ Moreover, Lemmix emulates only the DOS version of Lemmings and ONML, so some solutions aren't guaranteed to work (ie. might require slight modifications, or just totally won't work) on the Mac version of Lemmings.
More to the point, then, should I happen to bother to download it onto a windows machine, do these solutions all, or mostly, make heavy exploitative use of strange glitches in the game engine? I hardly think that's fair, and also for those who have no idea what these are or could be. :(

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
Some of them do, some of them don't.

Craig3410

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »
Not really a "challenge" per se, but I beat Mayhem 11 ("We All Fall Down") at a 99 release rate.

I don't know how, but I did; thank you frenetic clicking. :D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »
More to the point, then, should I happen to bother to download it onto a windows machine, do these solutions all,

I guess it depends on how strong your curiosity is.

or mostly, make heavy exploitative use of strange glitches in the game engine? I hardly think that's fair, and also for those who have no idea what these are or could be. :(

Do note that most if not all of the glitches have been verified to work on the Mac also.̆ Instead, with the Mac it is often other, usually non-glitch things, that gets in the way.̆ Things like pixel-differences in the mining mask (ie. which pixels gets taken out), difference in steel detection, difference in which pixels the game checks to determine if there's more terrain to bash, etc.̆ And of course, the occasional terrain differences, as Nuntar can tell you all about Mayhem 26 on the Mac......

The challenge thread on the old board can still be viewed here, and for some levels I had outlined differences on the Mac that gets in the way, but also often how to modify the solution so it still works on the Mac.

At least with the Mac you can still change the release rate while the game is paused.̆ Some versions such as the Amiga doesn't allow that, and that difference alone will wreck more challenge solutions than the Mac-PC mechanics differences.

tseug

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2006, 11:24:22 PM »
Not really a "challenge" per se, but I beat Mayhem 11 ("We All Fall Down") at a 99 release rate.

I do all the "We All Fall Down" at 99. It's way easier for me than clicking slowly and constantly.

Craig3410

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2006, 01:37:36 AM »

I do all the "We All Fall Down" at 99. It's way easier for me than clicking slowly and constantly.

Yeah; but miss one lemming and you have to restart. I normally do it at RR 31 or so.

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »
I always do them with RR set to 73, so that you only need to make every third lemming dig (the other two will survive the fall).

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2006, 03:52:39 AM »
I would go backwards at RR 99. Start with the last lemming and go forward. I think you have enough room to make them all dig on Mayhem.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 09:33:47 PM »
More to the point, then, should I happen to bother to download it onto a windows machine, do these solutions all,

I guess it depends on how strong your curiosity is.

or mostly, make heavy exploitative use of strange glitches in the game engine? I hardly think that's fair, and also for those who have no idea what these are or could be. :(

Do note that most if not all of the glitches have been verified to work on the Mac also.  Instead, with the Mac it is often other, usually non-glitch things, that gets in the way.  Things like pixel-differences in the mining mask (ie. which pixels gets taken out), difference in steel detection, difference in which pixels the game checks to determine if there's more terrain to bash, etc.  And of course, the occasional terrain differences, as Nuntar can tell you all about Mayhem 26 on the Mac......

The challenge thread on the old board can still be viewed here, and for some levels I had outlined differences on the Mac that gets in the way, but also often how to modify the solution so it still works on the Mac.

At least with the Mac you can still change the release rate while the game is paused.  Some versions such as the Amiga doesn't allow that, and that difference alone will wreck more challenge solutions than the Mac-PC mechanics differences.
Man, I used to hate Mayhem 26, since it's fairly self-evident, also, that it should have a goal of 70/80 rather than 72/80 (90%). Nuntar once told me a way to complete it for definite, although it still doesn't answer the question of how the hell I managed to complete it the first time I tried it (which I do remember doing after some long, hard hours...).

tseug

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2006, 10:17:57 PM »
What is the terrain difference in Mayhem 26 anyways? I think it's a root that's slightly taller but I don't know where.