Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Load level from replay  (Read 1296 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Load level from replay
« on: February 16, 2021, 01:30:55 AM »
The main essence of this suggestion is the ability to file-associate .nxrp with the player; clicking on the file would then open the player, load the level, and play the replay.

A "load replay" button in the F2 menu might also be good.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Load level from replay
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:50:44 PM »
Actually you can tell the operating system to always use neolemmix to open files with a certain extension.
I do not know if neolemmix can search the correct level from the replay. I added it in Lemmix and it works quite good.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:55:48 PM »
Actually you can tell the operating system to always use neolemmix to open files with a certain extension.
I do not know if neolemmix can search the correct level from the replay. I added it in Lemmix and it works quite good.

NeoLemmix does have ways of matching replays to levels, but it's designed for verification purposes, not for search purposes - basically, to test "does this replay match the level it was loaded on?".

Nonetheless, it can - albeit a bit slowly - be used for matching, as the Mass Replay Check relies on this. So it's not out of the question. There's extra metadata in the replays that could further help with the matching, though isn't 100% reliable (in particular, the metadata will be wrong - except for the level title and level ID number - if the replay was recorded in testplay mode rather than after the level was added to a pack).

You can associate NXRP files with NeoLemmix.exe, but it won't do anything. Only NXLV (level) files will.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:56:59 PM »
In the last replayversions of Lemmix I added the internal level hashkey. Together with de stored and cached hashkeys of all levels a very fast matching can be done using dictionaries.
I don't know the details of the current state of neolemmix file formats but I think this should be doable :-)