Author Topic: Lemmix, Lemming Level Editor, alpha release  (Read 11919 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix, Lemming Level Editor, alpha release
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 06:57:30 AM »
The boxes can be hidden be pressing "h" if the imageeditor is focused.
Working on the next version, which will be able to create dos-levelpacks. Should be ready in 2 weeks.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »
A couple things I'd really like to see (in relative order of importance):

1) A right-click box that appears when you click on a terrain piece or object. Similar to LemEdit, it would have a "copy" and "delete" and "change terrain" function. I just find it annoying to have to use the top window to add new terrain. Also, if you right click in the map where there's no terrain or objects or steel areas, you should have an "add terrain/object/steel" option.
2) Precision keyboard control. Maybe use the arrows on the number-pad to move the terrain up or down one pixel per click? I find it a bit hard to place terrain precisely with this editor.
3) A box which pops up when you want to add a new piece, similar to what you get when you click the "..." in the terrain inspector, that allows you to select which terrain piece you want to place before it is placed. I do not particularly like having to click "add piece" and then using the level inspector to change the terrain, because I am lazy.
4) An option to place the terrain inspector and list and the level properties window underneath the level map instead in different windows.

Overall, though, this is a nice alternative to LemEdit and having to go through DOSBox to make levels. Nice work.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 07:19:17 AM »
A right-click box that appears when you click on a terrain piece or object
It's on my list.
Similar to LemEdit, it would have a "copy" and "delete" and "change terrain" function.
Copy = Ctrl + C (or main menu edit/copy)
Paste = Ctrl + V (or main menu edit/paste)
Delete = Delete
For changing the terrain I will add a keyboard shortcut for a direct popup. When you know the number of the object and you are working in the level-editor then you can type the number and press <enter>.
The number you type is in the statusbar.
So inserting any new terrain is 3 or 4 keyboard strokes: "Insert, 2, Return" and when youre doing a Marble Level you get the terrain triangle number 2.
Also, if you right click in the map where there's no terrain or objects or steel areas, you should have an "add terrain/object/steel" option.
On my list...
Precision keyboard control. Maybe use the arrows on the number-pad to move the terrain up or down one pixel per click? I find it a bit hard to place terrain precisely with this editor.
Dragging the terrains pixel-precise is not ok yet. When holding the Control key the arrow keys move the objects per pixel instead of 8 pixels.
A box which pops up when you want to add a new piece, similar to what you get when you click the "..." in the terrain inspector, that allows you to select which terrain piece you want to place before it is placed. I do not particularly like having to click "add piece" and then using the level inspector to change the terrain, because I am lazy.
I will add the pop-up it (optional I think).
Maybe try Lemmix's "number typing system" in combination with Copy/Paste. And Copy/Paste Special, which I think is very handy.
An option to place the terrain inspector and list and the level properties window underneath the level map instead in different windows.
Good idea I think. On the list...

I am currently working on 0.0.3 so the things you mentioned will not be in it yet. I will try to put them in 0.0.4 :)

There are some hints on the Lemmix site about mouse/keyboard usage.
I saw some levelpacks you made (got them from the Garjen site).
Nice work, close to art :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 07:09:42 PM »
Alpha version 0.0.3 downloadable.

Make a clean install please.

New things:
* native support for dos, win en Lemmini (+ compiler for speed)
* editing dos-levelpacks
* vgaspec-viewer
* vgaspec-creator
* displaying of dos extended graphics
* dos-file-decompression

Have fun!

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 11:56:16 PM »
Just a few things...
* "Open" doesn't want to do anything if "All Files (*.*)" is the filetype.  Shouldn't Lemmix be able to auto-detect the filetype based on its extension?
* The style compiler interface is clunky because (unless I'm missing something) it requires the user to edit the INI file to select the correct directory for the different versions of Lemmings; the user should be able to do this from the UI.  Also, it should show which styles I've already compiled so that I don't waste my time compiling styles I've already compiled.
* Capitalization of "Volker Oth, Ccexplore and MindLess" should be "Volker Oth, ccexplore and Mindless" ;D

I haven't even gotten around to testing all the new functions yet... :P  I really like the "Preview" mode for DAT decompression.

/me gives big thumbs up  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »
"Open" doesn't want to do anything if "All Files (*.*)" is the filetype.  Shouldn't Lemmix be able to auto-detect the filetype based on its extension?
Yeah I know. Autodetection is not built in yet. Have to think about that. Don't even know if it's possible.

The style compiler interface is clunky because (unless I'm missing something) it requires the user to edit the INI file to select the correct directory for the different versions of Lemmings; the user should be able to do this from the UI.
You're right. Next version.

Also, it should show which styles I've already compiled so that I don't waste my time compiling styles I've already compiled.
Also right. Next version.

Capitalization of "Volker Oth, Ccexplore and MindLess" should be "Volker Oth, ccexplore and Mindless
Unfixable :)

There is a bug when saving a Lemmini file as LVL. No coordinate mapping is done. Next version too.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
Quote from: EricLang link=1145086543/15#17 date=1149059957
I saw some levelpacks you made (got them from the Garjen site).
Nice work, close to art :)

Thanks!

Anyways, after you told me about the site and the keyboard commands, I'm really starting to like Lemmix, now that I'm learning how to use the program better. I've altered a few of my old levels using the program, but I've yet to create a level from scratch in Lemmix because I can't think of any new ideas.  :-/

I'll show you what I come up with when I do.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano