Poll

What angle do you prefer?

45 degree angle (1:1 slope)
As steep as possible while still walker-friendly (6:1 slope)
Other

Author Topic: [Discussion][Player] New skill: Laserer  (Read 12519 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion][Player] New skill: Laser Blaster (Potential)
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2020, 01:26:42 AM »
- The tradeoff for an infinite-range laser blaster being accepted would be wrap is ruled out

Couldn't it simply stop at the edge of the level proper, i.e. not continue into wrap-world?

So, the rule would be that the Laser Blast continues until it reaches the edge of the level, steel, or a wrap point.

I'm aware that this could look a bit odd if someone has infinite-scroll-mode engaged (rather than glowing-edge wrap, which would be my personal preference).

If the answer to this is basically "no", then I'd be in favour of a very long length limit, something like 1000px or even more.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2020, 03:15:31 AM »
- The tradeoff for an infinite-range laser blaster being accepted would be wrap is ruled out

Couldn't it simply stop at the edge of the level proper, i.e. not continue into wrap-world?

So, the rule would be that the Laser Blast continues until it reaches the edge of the level, steel, or a wrap point.

I'm aware that this could look a bit odd if someone has infinite-scroll-mode engaged (rather than glowing-edge wrap, which would be my personal preference).

If the answer to this is basically "no", then I'd be in favour of a very long length limit, something like 1000px or even more.

No. Any wrap will be "everything wraps", not "some things wrap, some don't".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Discussion][Player] New skill: Laserer
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »
The name "Laser Blaster" (or even "Laserblaster") will cause issues with the skill panel (or rather, the text above it) due to its length, so a shorter name is needed.

For the experimental phase, the name will be "Laserer". Permanent name will be discussed if / when the skill is chosen as one that makes it in.

Also - this doesn't have to have a final decision right now as such but, where would Laserer go on the skill panel? Two possibilities come up that make sense to me - between Digger and Cloner; or between <Stacker / Spearer / Grenader> and Basher. Any thoughts, or any other suggestions?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2020, 08:51:52 AM »
I would place it closer to the Digger in general, because that's the historical origin of the Laser Blaster.

Where exactly does the Fencer go right now?

Because logically, the following order would make sense to me (from left to right):

Basher, Fencer, Miner, Laser Blaster, Digger

So always the analogous upward skill first. I'm not sure whether this alligns with the current skill panel setup though.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
The current order is (including one skill either side) Stacker*, Basher, Fencer, Miner, Digger, Cloner.

* Grenader if it makes it in. Spearer if it makes it in but Grenader doesn't.

A directly-upwards laserer might be an upwards analog of the digger, and perhaps one could extent that argument to a 6:1 laserer, but a 45 degree laserer is not.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2020, 12:45:52 AM »
That's why I'd put it in between the Miner and the Digger, because it's still diagonal :P . 45° should still be steeper than a Miner, right? Thus, the angle would get continuously steeper from Basher (flat) to Digger (maximum).

Alternatively, it could also go between Fencer and Miner, I guess.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2020, 12:51:40 AM »
No. Any wrap will be "everything wraps", not "some things wrap, some don't".

In that case, I'd be in favour of a very long length limit, something like 1000px or even more :lemcat:

The name "Laser Blaster" (or even "Laserblaster") will cause issues... so a shorter name is needed.

What about "Blaster"?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2020, 02:35:51 AM »
In that case, I'd be in favour of a very long length limit, something like 1000px or even more :lemcat:

That is one option - have a limit that's so high that it's "unlimited in practice, in most scenarios", while still meaning there is ultimately a limit, thus preventing the technical issues for wrap levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
What about "Blaster"?

I remember proposing "Blaster" as a name for one of my joke skills: A lemming that makes other lemmings he touches turn into Bombers. :evil: But of course, that ultimately doesn't matter because it won't ever be introduced, so except for people who have read that thread, there won't be any confusion with regards to what a Blaster does.

I agree that both "Laserer" and "Spearer" sound a little weird.
If neither "Laser Blaster" nor "Spear Thrower" fit on the panel, the equivalent of "Blaster" would be just "Thrower" for the Spear Thrower.

Although that might be confusing, because the Grenadier also throws his grenade, and most likely, that skill will be introduced alongside the Spear Thrower.
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2020, 05:53:38 PM »
Just to be very clear about this: The names will remain as is (Grenader, Spearer, Slider, Laserer) for as long as the skills remain in experimental status. You're all free to discuss your preferences on names, I might weigh in, but don't expect any actual change until if/when the skills get confirmed to make it in - at which point we'll decide on final names before any RC release.

Same goes for graphics, unless there's a really good argument that current ones interfere or mislead with regards to the functionality of the skill. Basically - only the physics are really up for discussion at this time.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2020, 03:04:51 AM »
Finally got to the point where I can show something. It's a very early implementation, and in particular, is lacking most of the graphics at this stage... but it's something!

https://youtu.be/6EUmwuNxs5E

EDIT: Newer, better one, which now does have graphics: https://youtu.be/4ek29MxpOIM
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:44:30 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2020, 07:16:13 AM »
EDIT: Newer, better one, which now does have graphics: https://youtu.be/4ek29MxpOIM

Great music! ;P

This is looking fantastic! Without the graphics, it did look a bit slow. But it's more clear that the laser is instant through air and then slow through terrain with the animation included. I'd probably vote for it to be a shade faster through the terrain, but otherwise it's looking awesome as it is.