Author Topic: Trigger area of frog trap too small? (Spoiler heavy)  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
Trigger area of frog trap too small? (Spoiler heavy)
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »
I don't know if it is intended or if it is an intended part of a solution to an official level. But somehow the mechanic bugs me and doesn't seem intentional to me. It seems rather that the trigger area of the frog is too small, at least downwards.
I will accept if it is deemed ok, but wanted to bring it up since it happens when the frog is placed graphically perfect on the ground.

Replay to demonstrate attached.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Trigger area of frog trap too small? (Spoiler heavy)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »

Frog y-3 is friendly to walkers. The other frogs (y-2, y-1, normal) are all deadly. Do you find this strange, too?

In particlar, y-2 has a a one-pixel air gap between belly and floor, yet is deadly. >_>;;

This image is from your replay, with a hack of Lix that shows trigger areas during play (important missing feature). The miners produce a gap, and the walking lix survives the upwards slope. In this light, do you think that the trigger is too short vertically? Too narrow? Or both? Or fine after seeing this?

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 08:41:16 PM »
The frog has one pixel less downwards trigger compared to the other traps . I think the trigger area is too small vertically compared.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:49:14 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Yeah, from this comparison I agree that the frog trigger should extend downwards for 1 extra pixel, for consistency with other traps.

I believe: The lix in (my post's second image from your replay) would still survive even if the frog's trigger extended downwards by that 1 extra pixel, and thus wouldn't fix your original concern.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »
Yeah you are right. If it is acceptable that way, then I accept that. It just seemed odd to me.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
I'm most surprised about the horizontally-narrow area. The frog is so wide and yet it has the most narrow trigger. Widening the trigger would suit the frog, but that's more intrusive than the downwards trigger extension. I'd have to test replays.

-- Simon