Would you like to see this feature?

Yes please!
2 (33.3%)
I'm not bothered either way.
3 (50%)
No, I prefer the current behaviour.
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Colour-coding clear physics mode  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG][PLAYER] Colour-coding clear physics mode
« on: September 06, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »
The current psychedelic CPM is pretty hard on the eyes. Even having a single constant colour for objects, clearly distinct from the grey of terrain, would be an improvement on this.

But how about going one step further? We could give all the major types of object their own colour -- e.g. red for fire, blue for water, purple for traps, green for exit (maybe green for both hatch and exit since they are usually easy to distinguish from each other) and yellow for miscellaneous stuff like splitters, teleporters....

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Colour-coding clear physics mode
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 08:28:37 PM »
I'm willing to consider this if enough people are in support of it. It should be easy enough to implement.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
I must admit, I like the current colors and that they are changing.

But the idea of giving major object types their own color sounds like a nice feature. :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »
With regards to it being "hard on the eyes" - an alternate option here could simply be to darken the color a bit, while keeping the shifting effect.

I recall now - the reason I made them shift color is to avoid any possibility of their color permanently overlapping with that of any kind of lemming - taking into account not just individual states (selected, athlete, zombie, in the future neutral) but also various combinations thereof. The concern of course, more being that a lemming overlapping the object might end up becoming invisible.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:01:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
I've slightly darkened the color objects are drawn during CPM in commit 74E8AE8.

I'm happy to implement the overall color-coding idea if there's support (and ideas on what the color coding should actually look like), but at this point it will need to wait for V12.8 - but feel free to keep discussing it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 11:04:51 PM »
It looks like there isn't really much support for this idea. I've put up a poll just in case there's a lot of silent support.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 05:02:33 PM »
Looks like I haven't seen this thread properly yet. I think this idea is useful. I personally think the objects (or their trigger areas) should be coloured three different types: red for traps and water, green for exits and yellow for other objects like teleporters and splitters.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 02:44:19 AM »
Looks like more people are in favor than opposed, but more again don't care either way... to me, that basically translates to "do this eventually". Maybe that'll still be before V12.8, we'll see.

But may as well plan what will be done:

We could give all the major types of object their own colour -- e.g. red for fire, blue for water, purple for traps, green for exit (maybe green for both hatch and exit since they are usually easy to distinguish from each other) and yellow for miscellaneous stuff like splitters, teleporters....

This is Proxima's proposal in the first post. No one has offered any further input on the "how", just on "yes or no". Any further suggestions here? I think there should be another distinct color for one-way arrows (or even better, replace them altogether with a "standard" one-way-arrow graphic).
My Lemmings projects