Author Topic: garjen forum members-only?!?!?  (Read 6026 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
garjen forum members-only?!?!?
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:00:03 PM »
During the past few days when the forum was down due to upgrading, I made a brief visit to the garjen forum.

Very brief in fact, since apparently they made it members-only at some point!!!!!!

I'm shocked.  When did this happen, and why?  Surely they could simply disallow guest postings without also banning guests from merely viewing the forum?!?!?  :o

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Re: garjen forum members-only?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »
There hasn't been a post from any of the garjen admins for quite a while... it's pretty dead around there.

Quote from: morse link=0=0 date=11/02/05 at 22:11:40
When we had traffic, we also had spammers.

Presumably Gareth made the decision to make spam-able areas members only.

It is a free registration... no entries on bugmenot yet!

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 12:06:03 AM »
Actually, and this is unrelated, but on my Warcraft III clan's forums, there was a security loophole in phpBB (I know they don't use phpBB, which is why it's unrelated) that allowed anyone, if they knew what to do, to gain access to any recent poster's password. Here, we disabled guests from even viewing the forum in order to solve the problem (until it was later fixed with a phpBB patch).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:10:50 AM »
Oh ok, I guess that could possibly be why garjen did the same

Anyhow, because of the font size investigation, I had ended up registering anyway, with username "ihategaarjen". ;D (That's only for testing purposes of course, I don't intend to actually post anything there with that username.)

JM

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »
Members only are probably allowed on Garjen's forum because abuse has been posted on the forum. When I went on the site the shoutbox and the forum had abuse posted. It's so far been removed.