Author Topic: Graphic set not found/All folders are empty  (Read 11144 times)

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
Graphic set not found/All folders are empty
« on: February 24, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »
I don't know if this has been answered or not (didn't feel like sorting through all of the comments), but I'm still having trouble getting Superlemmini to work on my desktop (extracting the files and all that). For one thing I think I keep getting an error message that says "The graphic set .dat could not be found" or something like that. I use Windows 7, I do know how to use NeoLemmix and I do have the Windows CD. Is there any way I can get detailed step-by-step installation instructions on how to install Lemmini and/or Superlemmini? The actual Lemmini website doesn't seem to do that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:09:15 AM by Simon »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: Error: Graphic set .dat could not be found
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:02:57 AM »
Before you can set up SuperLemmini, you need the Windows version of Lemmings. If you don't have it, then you can either get it through sites like eBay or find the files somewhere (sorry, I can't tell you where).

Once you have it, you need to follow these steps:
  • If the game files are in a ZIP file or some other kind of archive, extract them somewhere, preferably to a folder called WINLEMM. You should now have a folder named WINLEMM that at least contains folders named GFX, LEVEL, MUSIC, SOUND, and STYLES.
  • Run SuperLemmini.
  • You should eventually be prompted to enter two paths. For the "Lemmings for Windows (WINLEMM) Path," enter the folder that contains the five folders that I mentioned earlier. For the "Destination Path," enter where you want to install the SuperLemmini files. (If SuperLemmini is not already installed, this should be a folder that either is empty or only contains superlemmini.jar.
  • Click the Extract button.

If you still get an error, please tell me the exact error message so that I can figure out what's going wrong.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:01:17 AM »
As I said before, I have the CD, but after I try to extract them to the WINLEMM folder (which already existed with the CD with the other five folders you mentioned), it spits out my CD tray and tells me to "please insert a (writable) disc into drive E:."

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 02:39:12 AM »
What exactly do you mean by "extract them to the WINLEMM folder"? If you're entering the WINLEMM folder into the "Destination Path" field, then please read and follow my previous post carefully. When SuperLemmini asks for paths, the "Lemmings for Windows (WINLEMM) Path" needs to be the WINLEMM folder, and the "Destination Path" needs to be a separate folder specifically for SuperLemmini (not the WINLEMM folder!).

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
First off, by the "game files" I'm assuming you're referring to the ones on the Windows CD rather than SuperLemmini. By "extract them to the WINLEMM folder" I'm referring to what you said in step 1, not step 5. Attempting to complete that step is where it spits out the tray and tells me to insert the disc, and I therefore don't get to step 2 (run SuperLemmini) or step 3 (entering the two paths). It appears that I already have the WINLEMM folder with the five subfolders that came with the game, so it seems like I ought to just go right to step 2. Do I have to create a new folder with the same name? I'm sorry I'm so confused.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
Step 1 applies only if you downloaded the Lemmings for Windows files. Since you have the CD, you can just skip that step and work directly from the CD.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
Oh ok...but I'm still getting either the "graphic set .dat could not be found" error message or another one that says "Unable to open file gfx\icons.bmp, Error Code=ffffffff" instead of being prompted to enter the two paths. I'm attempting to open it with either the Windows game or NeoLemmix. Is there a different program I need to open it with? Windows Explorer perhaps?

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:08:07 AM »
Yeah, you seem to be doing it wrong. SuperLemmini is an application, not a mod or patch; you're supposed to open it by double-clicking superlemmini.jar, not with the Lemmings for Windows program, and certainly not with NeoLemmix! After you do that, you should see a disclaimer, followed by a prompt for two paths. (If double-clicking superlemmini.jar only produces an "open with" dialog or a window showing its contents (as though you opened a ZIP file), then make sure the latest version of Java is installed.)

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
I think I was aware that SuperLemmini was an application. Also, I may have gotten a step further; it turns out I didn't have the latest version of Java installed, so I went ahead and did that with no problem. But I still don't seem to be getting a prompt for two paths. I am double-clicking superlemmini.jar (though I've been opening the initial download with Windows Explorer first in order to do that), but it still appears to be producing an "open with" window instead of the two paths prompt.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
Sounds like the Java installer failed to associate JAR files with the Java Runtime Environment, which sometimes happens. Try restarting your computer to see if that fixes anything. If it doesn't, follow these steps:
  • In Add/Remove Programs, uninstall Java. (If multiple versions are listed, uninstall all of them.)
  • Restart your computer. (I doubt this is necessary, but it doesn't hurt to try.)
  • Install the latest version of Java.
  • Restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, follow those steps again, except run the installer by right-clicking it and clicking "Run as administrator" instead of just double-clicking it. If that still doesn't help, you will need to associate JAR files manually; I will try to provide instructions in that case.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
Well...I tried everything, but nothing worked. I Googled instructions on associating the files manually, but can you provide them anyway just to be sure?

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 02:02:02 AM »
Try performing those steps again, but with an administrator account and with your antivirus disabled (at the same time, not one at a time).

If that doesn't work and you don't run other JAR files, then you can create a batch file that opens the JAR file with Java. Here's how to do it:
  • In the same folder as superlemmini.jar, right-click an empty area, then click New -> Text Document.
  • Name the file superlemmini.bat. (If you don't see the ".txt" extension, you will need to show file extensions, then name the file. Otherwise, you'll end up naming it "superlemmini.bat.txt", which you don't want.)
  • Open the file by right-clicking it and clicking Edit, or by opening it in any text editor.
  • Add this line to the file: javaw.exe -jar superlemmini.jar
  • Save the file, making sure you actually overwrite the original rather than making a new file.
  • Double-click the newly created batch file, and SuperLemmini should start.

If that's not satisfactory, then you will have to associate JAR files manually. I don't currently know of a good way to do this without messing with the registry; you can't simply tell Windows to open the file with javaw.exe, because then Windows will not use the "-jar" parameter that Java needs.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Gah, nothing. All that happens when I double-click the batch file is a message that pops up for a fraction of a second that I'm unable to read. (The same thing or something similar has been happening when I try to run superlemmini.jar.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:32:52 PM by chrisleec728 »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »
Open the batch file again (as you did in step 3) and add the word "pause" (without quotes) to a new line. This won't fix the problem, but it should at least let you read the message.

Offline chrisleec728

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 08:39:22 PM »
I don't know if this makes a difference, but I was unable to create a new text document within the same folder as superlemmini.jar; I had to do it outside the folder instead. But I'm pretty sure I overwrote the original even though I was expecting it to clarify it somehow.

I wasn't sure how to mess with the registry either, but when I double-clicked the batch file it gave me this message: "Error: Unable to access jarfile superlemmini.jar".

At this point I wish this was as simple and easy to run as NeoLemmix was. It's as if I need to be an expert computer programmer in order to know how to do so.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:10:21 PM by chrisleec728 »