Author Topic: Lemmings 2, Lemmings 3 etc  (Read 8222 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Lemmings 2, Lemmings 3 etc
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:55:07 PM »
I downloaded Lemmings 2 and 3 and can't get them to work; help! I think it may be to do with me running XP. How might I get them to work?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings 2, Lemmings 3 etc
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:17:16 PM »
You might want to try running these games in DOSBox instead.  I know that at least Lemmings 2 will work in DOSBox.

Also, make sure you download from abandonia.com.  I found there are other downloads out there elsewhere on the Internet that doesn't seem to work properly.  I have no issues with downloads from abandonia so far.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »
Now, how do you get the sounds to work and the game to go on to the next level? Seriously, it won't go past the first level in each set.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:41:57 PM »
I never encountered this problem with Lemmings 2 on my machine.  Make sure you used the most recent version of DOSBox (should be v0.63).  This version has been out for a long time so you probably have it correct.

I don't know much about Lemmings 3 as I've never tried it yet.

Before you can use Lemmings 2 you also need to run the installation program it contains, to specify the settings for sound/music and so forth.  I'm not at my home machine now so I can't provide details yet.

Conway

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »
When I downloaded Tribes, it came with two versions of the game, L2.EXE and L2-FIX.COM. The latter is presumably a patched release, since L2.EXE has the problems you are describing. Do you have the patched version?

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 12:28:45 AM »
Ah, I see, I'll try that then. But if it doesn't work..... I'll probably go to bed :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 02:08:03 AM »
That's probably it, you should be using L2-FIX.COM

As you can see, it's been so long since I've gotten it to work, I don't even remember all the details anymore. ;P Hopefully you'll get to that state yourself soon enough.  ;)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 10:43:30 AM »
Hehe... I did get it to work in the end, yes. I also got the mac version of dosbox and that works pretty well too, if quite slow...
Lemmings 3 is weeird, though.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 06:25:05 PM »
Quote from: finlay  link=1128030907/0#7 date=1128077010
Hehe... I did get it to work in the end, yes. I also got the mac version of dosbox and that works pretty well too, if quite slow...
Lemmings 3 is weeird, though.

I've had my fair share of problems with Lemmings 3, too. &#A0;Fortunately, I have it running now (but only on a 13-year-old machine).

What exactly is your problem with Lemmings 3? &#A0;If you still have an old machine (Pre-Windows 95), I may be able to help, but I'll need more details explaining what is going wrong. &#A0;If you're using a newer machine, I'm afraid you might be out of luck. &#A0;I've never gotten it to work on any computer that runs under Windows 95 or later.

I don't know anything about running the game in DOSBox. &#A0;My 13-year-old computer has the real DOS, so I have no need for DOSBox.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 09:13:49 PM »
Trouble with Lemmings 3 in DOSBox happens to me too.  Some versions of the game work fine, while others (like mine) have the crazy bugs.

Checking the DOSBox website.  L3 is only "runable" not playable, unless you have version 1.53, and it is fully supported.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 07:22:34 PM »
Oh no, I just meant it's a weird game. It's very very different from the previous games.
It worked on my XP with dosbox.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 05:10:48 AM »
Lemmings 2 should work well under Dosbox 0.63 using L2-FIX.COM. I've never got trouble (but maybe rare crashes). For Lemmings 3, this is more difficult.

Lemmings 3 works well under Dosbox ONLY if you put a Music CD into your CD-ROM drive that contains some tracks (more than 8). You can also play Lemmings 3 without any sounds.

But you explained to me that the Installer doesn't work well and when corrected, the game should work.

I discussed this problem on the Dosbox forum too.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...