Author Topic: New Cheapo style: "Prince.sty"  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
New Cheapo style: "Prince.sty"
« on: September 29, 2005, 10:42:13 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Prince.zip

Enjoy!

NOTE: the level isn't too hard, as it's meant to go in the second difficulty category of my sets. However, if you find it too easy, you can always try saving 100%.......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: New Cheapo style: "Prince.sty"
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 12:59:42 PM »
Quite interesting how well the general layout of a Prince level works as a Lemmings level also, although it does take a tiny bit of time to get use to some things (like having to bash thru pillars that the Prince would've walked thru).

One suggestion:  It would be cool to replace the normal "Let's Go" sound effect (#12) or the "window opening" sound effect (#6) with that ominous "da-da-da da" chime sound that's played at the start of each P.o.P level.  There should be a few other opportunities for sound effect replacements, like falling deaths and certain trap sounds.

Oh, and although it's not a big deal and a bit of pain to do it, I personally would get rid of the words "Prince of Persia" in the background graphics of the level intro screen.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:12:09 PM »
I also think the MIDI is a little too short.  I just sit thru the entire intro screen of P.o.P. and notice that there's a little more music than the first 10 or so seconds the MIDI has.  Maybe when I'm done with the ONML MIDIs I can do something about the Prince MIDI too.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:10:24 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1127990533/0#1 date=1128344382
Oh, and although it's not a big deal and a bit of pain to do it, I personally would get rid of the words "Prince of Persia" in the background graphics of the level intro screen.

Done.

I'm not sure about the MIDI though; it was very kind of you to put the longer sequence together, but a lot of the middle bit, though it works well as an intro screen music, wouldn't really work as the music that gets repeated over and over during a level -- I think it might get annoying quite quickly. I would ask the others what they think, except that everyone else seems to be ignoring this topic.......

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:43:18 PM »
...Maybe.  I guess some of the middle parts might sound slightly weird out-of-context, especially to someone who hasn't heard the music before in the proper context of the game's intro sequence.

Although I think some editing could help with that.

My main concern with the overly short MIDI is that, as you know, Cheapo has a bug whereby if the game's paused, the music won't loop when it reaches the end of the MIDI, until you unpause the game.  With your current Prince MIDI, this is almost guarantee to happen for anyone who's figuring out the level.

Any thoughts about sound effects?  I can help with those too.  (Well, it's really just a matter of capturing to WAV via DOSBox.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:35:34 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore (not logged in)  link=1127990533/0#1 date=1128344382
One suggestion:  It would be cool to replace the normal "Let's Go" sound effect (#12) or the "window opening" sound effect (#6) with that ominous "da-da-da da" chime sound that's played at the start of each P.o.P level.

OK, now you've sent me that sound, I've tried putting it in place of both #6 and #12; it sounds better replacing #12 but still not quite right. I think the best would be to replace #12 with the chime and #6 with silence; do you know how I would do that?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:19:14 PM »
Well, you can create a very short WAV file consisting of silence.  It will take up very little space.  I can help you with that if necessary.

Also, I have recorded the sound effects for door opening (when you reach the end of a level in P.o.P.) and door slamming close (whenever you start off a level in P.o.P.).  I just need to trim them down to exclude extraneous sounds.  Maybe one of the two can be used together with the chime?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:26:35 PM »
Maybe; I have to go now but if you send me them, I'll test them as soon as I have a chance.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 11:55:23 PM »
Really cool looking level ahribar, but I haven't figured it out or anything. ;P I remember having the demo of Prince of Persia, or perhaps the full version--the first time I got past the first level it asked me for a code from the manual. X_X I did guess it once correctly and got onto level 2 but I didn't get very far...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 01:40:44 AM »
Yeah, it's a pretty hard game to beat.

I've only known about it about a year ago, and I think I lost interest (even with a walkthrough next to me) after a week or so.  It's certainly an interesting game, but I found myself more drawn to lemmings.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 03:13:36 AM »
I've never been able to pass Level 10 of it.* Great game though! Having the game timed instead of based on lives made it an interesting experience. Of course, dying at the very end of a level induces profanities...

*Without the cheat that warps you to Level 12 (final level) of course ;)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 10:51:30 AM »
I just found it buried on my hard drive. I was quite excited. But then I got to the damn potions level and couldn't get past because I don't have the manual.... I also just found a couple of hacks for it as well, but I remember them not working. I think we copied it from someone.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 11:10:27 AM »
I've updated the link with a new version of the style, including a few sound effects ccexplore got for me, taken from the original Prince of Persia game :)