Author Topic: myvgaspec:  (Read 25340 times)

Leviathan

Re: myvgaspec:
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2005, 11:50:20 PM »
You said there are 4 browns and 3 reds in Menacing...

However the only colors I'm allowed to use for vgaspec.dat files are red,orange,green,yellow,blue,cyan and purple...

I tried making a vgaspec.dat file with white pixels,it didn't work.I tried doing the same in orange and it didn't work either.
I use the example from myvgaspec.zip and it works.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2005, 12:12:04 AM »
Here's a useful hint for those who are not clear on how to get the bitmap you want to convert to be in the format acceptable by myvgaspec.

Simply make a copy of the included example.bmp file.  Note I say to copy the file itself, not just the graphics.  Then in your copy, inside a suitable graphics program like MS Paint or Photoshop or what-not, erase all graphics and start copy-and-pasting in your own graphics, and optionally do some additional drawing as necessary.  Then just save the copy.  Since the copy started off in the correct file format, it should end up being saved in the correct format as well.

That should ensure you won't run into any errors with myvgaspec, unless there is really a bug in the program.

Leviathan

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2005, 06:57:07 AM »
I don't get any error messages but when I play the level,it looks completely messed up and when fading in or out,the level behaves really strange.

I respected the dimensions...but I think I forgot the 24-bit thing.

I'll try again later today,I hae to go to school now :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2005, 02:21:30 PM »
Hmm, maybe it's a bug in myvgaspec then.  Or not.

E-mail me the bitmap that's causing your problem and I'll take a look.  Thanks.

Leviathan

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2005, 04:41:27 PM »
I uploaded it at the lemmings file portal...I checked the dimensions and it is 24-bit.
It's merely a test o see if it works,and it doesn't.

The file is called "lem.bpm".

JM

Re: myvgaspec:  create your own VGASPECx.DAT!
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »
Is it used in any levels?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »
Interesting, I just looked at the BMP.  Since there are almost no large areas of the same color, it looks like the graphics will not be compressed too well.  That could cause the size of the resulting vgaspec to be too large (unfortunately, I haven't figured out yet what the size limit would be) and consequently lead to problems in CustLemm.

Can you tell me how large the resulting vgaspec file is?

I'll probably have to take some time to fix the compression in myvgaspec so that it compresses better.  In the meanwhile, talk with Mindless.  He has a program that can recompress DAT files, and generally results in smaller sizes than even the compression used by Psynosis.  That might allow your vgaspec to work.

That being said, I don't think that particular graphics of yours will work too well as an actual level anyway, even if there are no issues.

Leviathan

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2005, 06:25:02 PM »
I made that bmp just for testing purposes...I'll make another,actual level graphics and see if that works :)

JM

Re: myvgaspec:  create your own VGASPECx.DAT!
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2005, 07:01:35 PM »
Geoo's own VGSAPECx.dat is awesome  ;D ;D ;D ;D