Author Topic: Problems with Lemedit2  (Read 8517 times)

MarkW

Problems with Lemedit2
« on: August 10, 2005, 04:26:48 PM »
I am trying to get LemEdit running on my home computer which runs under Windows XP so looking at some of the advice on this site I have downloaded Lemedit2.  I have also downloaded DosBox version 0.63.

When I try to run LemEdit2 it gets to initializing the hardware clock driver and then fails with the message "Lemedit requires the on-board timer to be set properly".

I thought this problem was fixed with Lemedit2.  Are there more things I need to do like stopping screensavers etc.  I haven't played around with any of the default DosBox settings.

the guest

Re: Problems with Lemedit2
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:27:41 PM »
Unfortunately that does still happen from time to time even with LemEdit2, but you can usually get it to work if you press Ctrl-F11 to slow the "Cycles" number displayed on the title bar down to somewhere below 3000.  3000 is the default emulation speed, I believe a a speed of 2000 or 2500 should be enough to make LemEdit2 happy.  Just be sure to press Ctrl+F12 to bring it back up once LemEdit2 got past the timer test.  Hope this helps.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 12:09:32 AM »
Decrease the cycles to 20 before executing the program (I know, this is very low, but do it!). Wait some seconds, it shouldn't be so long... LemEdit2 will now start perfectly! All you have to do is to increase the cycles as normal!

No problem in advance! :D
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

MarkW

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 04:23:23 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, it didn't solve the problem but it got me thinking the right way.  I guess there are a lot of different Windows XP setups.

I tried lowering the cycles all the way down to 8 and it wasn't going to work, then I tried increasing the frame skip parameter Ctrl+F8, when I set this to 2 I got into Lemedit2 with the cycles still up at 3000.  I then reduced the frame skip back to 0 and the editor has worked since without problems.

Cheers
Mark

JM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 05:16:53 PM »
I did that when I had problems with Lemedit2 and I got the problem solved.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 11:21:28 PM »
Interesting! I'll try!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 04:24:50 AM »
I thought it is worth mentioning that, if I recalled correctly, the main purpose of LemEdit2 is to not so much to get past the timer test, but to make it work afterwards.  If I remember right, before with plain LemEdit + WinXP or DOSBox, the mouse doesn't work at all even if you manage to get past the timer test.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:51:57 PM »
This is because you don't have LemEdit 2! This is the hacked version of LemEdit where the mouse work!

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 04:40:34 PM »
Yes he does, he hacked it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1123691208/0#7 date=1124200317
This is because you don't have LemEdit 2! This is the hacked version of LemEdit where the mouse work!

:???: I can only conclude that you can't read English properly.  ;)

I was explaining to MarkW that the timer test problem is not really the problem that LemEdit2 addresses, rather it's the larger problem with the non-working mouse which LemEdit2 addressed.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 07:39:33 PM »
Oops! :-[