Author Topic: [Suggestion][Player] Custom Music for the Level Clear/Fail screens  (Read 3000 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
I like having a theme of victory whenever I clear a level, but I want the choice to customize it.
Like have a different stage clear to fit the theme of a level pack

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Suggestion][Player] Custom Music for the Level Clear/Fail screens
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 03:44:43 AM »
This was possible for a while, but no one used it so I didn't bother to support it for the stable releases with the new sound code. If there's interest, Ill support this in the new formats; it may be tricky to support while still on the old ones.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:02:58 AM »
I've actually thought about this too, and think it would be neat. I'd be down for this feature, certainly. :)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
Gonna be honest, I thought it wasn't possible yet, I was willing to use it for a upcoming level pack of mine

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
I've managed to put this back into the old-formats versions even.

To put a custom jingle, include it as a custom data file and call them "success.ogg" or "failure.ogg" (or any other suitable extension; please note that only waveform based formats (OGG, WAV, etc) can be used, not module-based ones (MOD, IT, etc), and OGG specifically is recommended).

This will not work on the current versions of NL, but will not cause any problems on them either. For all future versions, it will work.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
I've been waiting a while for this feature as well, wanted my victory jingle to be the battle victory music from Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door and my failure music to be the Game Over from the same game.

I was never aware this feature was ever implemented in older formats otherwise I would have used it.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
I've managed to put this back into the old-formats versions even.

To put a custom jingle, include it as a custom data file and call them "success.ogg" or "failure.ogg" (or any other suitable extension; please note that only waveform based formats (OGG, WAV, etc) can be used, not module-based ones (MOD, IT, etc), and OGG specifically is recommended).

This will not work on the current versions of NL, but will not cause any problems on them either. For all future versions, it will work.

Unless its possible to do it in the next version already, Can we have it so you can have the custom Victory theme plays if have the file in the "music" folder?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »
That will be possible. However, if you have one that you intend to use with your pack, please build it in as a custom data file rather than asking people to put it in the "music" folder. Putting in the "music" folder would be more for people who want to have their own custom one for anything they play.

Also - once again - I'll point out that you really need to work on updating your old packs (except those that won't work on post-V1.43n-F versions due to using removed features) before you start thinking about making new ones. GigaLems in particular still runs on V1.29n, which has been obsolete for a very long time now, and I even sent you some stuff to help you with updating it to the newer versions. For your more recent packs, this would usually be as simple as "open and rebuild with the newest Flexi toolkit, and run a mass replay test to ensure all the levels are still solvable".
My Lemmings projects

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23:44 AM »
Just gave it a try and as you said, it doesn't do anything yet. But at least I have the .ogg files I want to use on hand now. Music and sound is a big part of the game for me, so I wonder how many of my custom tracks people will know the original sources of.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 04:34:47 AM »
Just gave it a try and as you said, it doesn't do anything yet.

Yeah, I didn't see this as being worth releasing an update for alone. Usually if I release an update, there's either a major improvement, lots of minor improvements, or fixes to fairly significant bugs. But this will be included in the next update. (It should actually work with V10.12.12-C if anyone's still using that, now that I think about it. It might only work on this version if it's OGG specifically, and I could be remembering wrong.)
My Lemmings projects