Author Topic: The graphic set .dat could not be found  (Read 5719 times)

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
The graphic set .dat could not be found
« on: November 19, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
I've managed to "almost" run my project in order to test. But that's it, it was just almost, because when I was about to play the level, some error like this appeared:

"The graphic set .dat could not be found"

I mean what is it this time?

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: The graphic set .dat could not be found
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 01:14:50 PM »
The player thinks that your level uses a graphic style called ".dat", i.e. just an empty name and then the file extension.
Without further info it is pretty hard to pin down the exact cause. So could you please post or PM me
- the file SYSTEM.DAT for the level pack you created, which should be present in the folder you selected when you clicked "Save as..." in the Flexi Toolkit
- and the level file you tried to play.

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 01:24:15 PM »
The player thinks that your level uses a graphic style called ".dat", i.e. just an empty name and then the file extension.
Without further info it is pretty hard to pin down the exact cause. So could you please post or PM me
- the file SYSTEM.DAT for the level pack you created
, which should be present in the folder you selected when you clicked "Save as..." in the Flexi Toolkit
- and the level file you tried to play.

Due to the question you're pointing to this subject, I suppose I have to tell you this. 'Cause this is what happened actually...I have overwrited the system.dat that came with the original NeoLemmix folder because if I did not do that the software wasn't allowing me to go further dunno how, so what I mean is, that the system.dat that I have is a customized one. Maybe this is not the best thing to do, but that was the only possible "EXIT" for me.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 01:35:40 PM »
The NeoLemmix player itself doesn't care about any SYSTEM.DAT files and does not produce them. They are only used to some meta infos that are needed to put the level pack files together. So overwriting them with a custom one should be fine, and I am still interested in seeing yours ;).

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
The NeoLemmix player itself doesn't care about any SYSTEM.DAT files and does not produce them. They are only used to some meta infos that are needed to put the level pack files together. So overwriting them with a custom one should be fine, and I am still interested in seeing yours ;).

It is already available (I mean the custom SYSTEM.dat file) for download.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
Oops, sorry, I totally missed the attachments :-[.

There are two problems:
1) The level file uses some unusual names for styles, namely "levelpack1", "LEVELPACK1" and "LEVELPACK2". The L2 space pieces get displayed correctly, but the L1 pieces don't. Can you load your level correctly into your editor? Which editor version do you use, as displayed in "Help -> About"?

2) You have no ranks, no levels and no graphic styles included in your level pack. Load your SYSTEM.DAT into the FlexiToolit again, add your levels again and then use "Save" or "Save as..". You always have to save your current settings before clicking on "Build NXP", otherwise your latest changes get ignored.

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

There are two problems:
1) The level file uses some unusual names for styles, namely "levelpack1", "LEVELPACK1" and "LEVELPACK2". The L2 space pieces get displayed correctly, but the L1 pieces don't. Can you load your level correctly into your editor? Which editor version do you use, as displayed in "Help -> About"?

2) You have no ranks, no levels and no graphic styles included in your level pack. Load your SYSTEM.DAT into the FlexiToolit again, add your levels again and then use "Save" or "Save as..". You always have to save your current settings before clicking on "Build NXP", otherwise your latest changes get ignored.

I don't get it...I swear I edited everything including the rank in my System.dat on FlexiToolkit. The second problem doesn't really make sense to me. As I really did everything. About the first problem? I'll check it out.

Offline alexis9000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »

There are two problems:

I don't get it...I swear I edited everything including the rank in my System.dat on FlexiToolkit. The second problem doesn't really make sense to me. As I really did everything. About the first problem? I'll check it out.

EDIT: I managed to finally discover that I forgot to Export the .dat file, I thought I had to SAVE the .dat file instead of exporting it. But no I really had to export it, so here it is. Hope it works this time.

EDIT 2: Nope, still got the same error. I know that I am doing something wrong but I don't know what! lol.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
I think the problem might lay in the level creation itself and maybe misunderstanding about single levels, packs and tilesets.

I try to explain it from scratch to avoid talking around each others.

A level is created by the NeoLemmix editor in a .lvl file. In the level tilesets are used that are stored in the NeoLemmixEditor styles folder in .dat files.

The NeoLemmix Player can load these .lvl files directly, but it needs these .dat tilesets in it's styles folder as well.

If you have a lot of levels you can put them together in a pack using the FlexiToolkit. You have to give it all the .lvl levels, .dat tilesets and music you used (+ optional music and logos). Then you can save your entire configuration ("Save as") in a SYSTEM.dat file (do not rename it!). You can also load this configuration again then after closing the program. At last it can build an nxp file which you can name properly (+ optinal music pack) which the NeoLemmix player can load.

All in all:

The player loads packs (.nxp) and levels (.lvl). It needs the tilesets (.dat) in a styles folder (+ optional music in the musics folder). It can save replays of levels (.nxrpl).

The editor creates levels (.lvl) using tilesets (.dat) in the styles folder (+ optional music). It can also testplay levels directly by placing a NeoLemmix player in it's folder.

The FelxiToolkit creates and loads pack configurations (SYSTEM.dat) using levels (.lvl) + tilesets (.dat) + (optional music and logos in .png). It can then build these configurations into packs (.nxp) and optional music packs which the player can load in.

Maybe join our IRC live chat #neolemmix for quicker investigation. Or give me all your loadable .lvl files and I try building a pack from scratch and I see if the levels are created wrong or if sth you did in the toolkit is fishy.

EDIT: Ok wrote this before you wrote your last message, but I think it is still worthwhile posting :P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
Sorry, this new file doesn't help much. Please save/export the file again using the default name "SYSTEM.DAT". Otherwise I (any you) cannot load it into the Toolkit again and the file is pretty useless.