Author Topic: Flopsy visits the Lemmings statues in Dundee  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Flopsy visits the Lemmings statues in Dundee
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »

On a early Saturday morning (5th Nov) in Dundee, I visited these Lemmings statues. Thanks to Prob Lem for her earlier topic on this, it was a great help with finding these statues. It was so difficult to find these statues because all I had to go on was Perth Road in Dundee but that is such a long road and it turns out that these statues are at the very end of Perth Road before it becomes Nethergate and the DMA offices are on Nethergate at the edge of the city centre.

What annoys me here is that there are other statues in Dundee like Desperate Dan and Minnie the Minx from the Dandy and Beano comics (also made in Dundee) and they are marked as a place of interest on Google maps. The Lemmings statues however are not marked on Google maps, I have put in a request for them to be added but have not heard anything yet. I will update this thread if Google respond to this request.

On the way back to the car when walking out of town, we did walk past the old DMA offices and they have again changed ownership since Prob Lem's visit. It was a Thai restaurant according to Google maps in 2014 and I believe it was that when Prob Lem visited but it is now a Mexican restaurant and it appears the upstairs of the office is now used to store food and supplies from said restaurant which is a sad way for such an iconic building to go.
I didn't spend long at the DMA office because there really is not much to see, there is no trace of Lemmingness here anymore, unless you're a long time fan and know what happened in that building, you're not to know what that building means to us.

EDIT: Video is now up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crz_G59bCHg&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:34:12 PM by Flopsy »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Flopsy visits the Lemmings statues in Dundee
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
Those are really great statues! :thumbsup:

It's super nice that they kept those despite the DMA offices no longer being around. They look really cute! Especially the one at the top, he seems to be really enjoying the view.

Glad you got to visit this landmark, you've managed to give this place your lemmings spirit! :thumbsup:
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:16 AM »
Seems strange at these random statues being there with seemingly little info to guide you and no other Lemming paraphernalia around that area.  A quick look at Wikipedia reveals pics of the Desperate Dan and Minnie the Minx statues, but not the Lemmings. They clearly all look to be done by the same people.

But I guess I should admit at seeing scenarios like that in my area. For instance; if you drive around the town directly south of me you'll see these bear statues in different sorts of apparel randomly scattered throughout the town. A passerby wouldn't be able to tell that the bears represent the "Boyertown Bears" football team.

It hits me just now how the Lemmings, as seen in these statues, but also in old artwork manuals and such sort of resemble hobbits or some of the creatures from Jim Henson's stuff like the Dark Crystal.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »
Video of the visit to both the statues and the DMA office is now up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crz_G59bCHg&feature=youtu.be

It's not the best quality given the windy weather on the day but it's pretty good considering.