Author Topic: [BUG][PLAYER]volume slider acting weird  (Read 2830 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[BUG][PLAYER]volume slider acting weird
« on: September 19, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »
sometimes, I think after I've used the player and then use play test mode later?* the volume slider gets changed on it's own. Graphically, the slider disappears but the setting goes to highest volume.

*sometimes it seems to do it just when I exit the player/editor and open them up later and playtest. I've only encountered this using playtest, but I haven't use the player on it's own a lot recently.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER]volume slider acting weird
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Does this affect both sound and music, or only one or the other?
Next time you notice this happening, could you let me know what the "MusicVolume" and "SoundVolume" values in the NeoLemmixSettings147.ini file are?

Could you also confirm which version of the player you're getting this on? (I assume V1.47n based on your other bug report?) Editor version should not matter.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 10:34:35 PM »
It happens on 1.47n. It does not appear to effect the sound at all.

I discovered it happens when I press the M key to turn on/off the music as well, however, it seems that when this happens initially;
it seems to happen every time I open the (experimental) editor a new, then play test. The music is switched to off and when I press M to turn it on it's at full volume. I can go and open the player separate to adjust the volume and it'll work for a while but it will happen again.

When it happens the setting in the file goes to 0. I had the sound volume at 31, and music at 19. When it resets it goes to 0, yet is actually playing at full volume.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Can you confirm whether this issue is still occuring for you on V1.47n-D and/or recent V1.48n experimentals?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:03 PM »
in version 1.48-B this still occurs although the slider doesn't go to 100% it goes to 50%.

This happens if you playtest; turn music off. Exit, playtest again, turn music on.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
in version 1.48-B this still occurs although the slider doesn't go to 100% it goes to 50%.

This happens if you playtest; turn music off. Exit, playtest again, turn music on.

Ah, I didn't realise you were actually exiting NeoLemmix between turning it off and then turning it on again. Even in the new versions, it doesn't remember the volume (after turning music off) between sessions; only if you turn it back on in the same run, it'll change. If this is a problem, it shouldn't be too much work to fix this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:54 PM »

Ah, I didn't realise you were actually exiting NeoLemmix between turning it off and then turning it on again. Even in the new versions, it doesn't remember the volume (after turning music off) between sessions; only if you turn it back on in the same run, it'll change. If this is a problem, it shouldn't be too much work to fix this.

So if I leave the music on all the time this won't happen? It's not a big deal then, but rather inconsistent.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 03:03:04 AM »
So if I leave the music on all the time this won't happen? It's not a big deal then, but rather inconsistent.

Even if you do turn it off, but turn it on again before exiting the player, it won't happen.

Basically, why this happens is - when music or sound is turned off via the in-game hotkey, it sets the volume to zero. It also remembers the volume you had it at before. If you use the key again, it sets it back to what it was before. However, this "what was the volume before" is not remembered after exiting NeoLemmix, so it defaults to 100 or 50 (depending on which version you're using - older versions use 100, newer versions use 50) if you turn it on via the hotkey after starting a new session.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:01:44 PM »
Okay, made the change for the next update: When sound or music is turned off altogether, the previous volume setting is remembered even between sessions of NeoLemmix.
My Lemmings projects