Author Topic: How to download styles from style database by hand? [STYLES] [ONLINE-DATABASE]  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
I figured that the most up-to-date versions of styles are in namida's style database, which is used for the online feature. So (because I am way too lazy to hunt for the correct style thread) I wanted to download the style from the database. However there seems to be no way to do so by hand ???
And I cannot find a thread listing all styles with links to the corresponding discussion threads; very likely because it doesn't exist.

I know about the following possibilities:
- One can get a list of all styles that are in the style database, via a link in the first post of the "Submissions for graphic sets" thread.
- If I already have a single level using the style, I can delete my own style file, enable the online feature, start the level in the player to trigger the online feature and then search where the style was saved now.
- I can search for the commands to access the database in the NL source code and write a script myself.

...or I can nicely ask namida to provide an easy way to download styles from his database. I even say pretty, pretty please. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
If you find them on the list, you can simply download them by pointing your browser to http://online.neolemmix.com/<insert style filename here>
These are always all-lowercase.

EG: If you wanted lpv_abstract, the first one on the list, you'd go to http://online.neolemmix.com/lpv_abstract.dat

Otherwise, the Editor and Flexi Toolkit in their latest versions also support manually downloading. (Tools > Download Styles in the editor; "Graphic Sets" tab > Download in Flexi). Note that in both cases, one won't show up in the list if you already have a copy; it doesn't perform any check as to whether the copy may be out of date. This is something that should be improved for all three parts.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Added the ability to update styles from within the player for the next update.

This comes in two forms:

1. Automatic update (disabled by default, must be turned on in the config menu)
When NeoLemmix is started up (currently, only if running an NXP, maybe this should be changed?), updated verisons of styles are checked for, and downloaded if they exist. This is done silently.

2. Manual update
Accessible on the Config menu > "Online Options" tab, this will run a one-off check for updated styles, and inform the user how many (and which) styles were updated.

Currently, this only functions for styles in the user's "styles" folder, and not any in the NXP. While of course the NXP files themself shouldn't be modified, perhaps I should modify this check function to check for newer versions of the styles in the NXP too...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:15:27 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Nice to hear that there is already a simple way to get the styles.
I would nevertheless suggest adding this information both to the thread "Submissions for auto-downloadable graphic sets" and to the NeoLemmix homepage. Both places are easy to find and places where people may look to answers to my problem (at least I looked there before opening this thread). This thread on the other hand will soon be lost among all the other threads and people may not even know about the existance of it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I don't think the submissions thread is appropriate. I have, however, added a note on the NeoLemmix Editor page of the website. It's already covered in the Flexi Toolkit tutorial.
My Lemmings projects