Poll

Do we want to be able to replay UI actions?

Yes, the replay should (if the user wants) include actions like skill selection, highlighting lemmings, scrolling, etc
1 (14.3%)
No, the replay should just contain the actual game actions (ie: skill assignments, RR changes, nuking)
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: [PLAYER] Do we want to keep UI actions in the replay?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[PLAYER] Do we want to keep UI actions in the replay?
« on: July 06, 2016, 02:06:15 AM »
Currently, NL always saves skill selection (but no other purely-UI actions) to the replay, but nothing else. There is a user-side option as to whether or not to actually show these when playing back a replay.

Let's compare this to other engines:
> Lemmix: Works the same way as NL does, minus the option to hide skill selections when viewing a replay.
> Lemmini / SuperLemmini: These save all UI actions in the replay. For example, the replay includes screen scrolling. I think SuperLemmini now has an option to not display these things when playing it back, however (Lemmini does not).
> Lix: No UI stuff is saved, as far as I'm aware. If it is, it doesn't get played back.

In the past, requests to go more towards the Lix route have lead to the introduction of a user-side option for showing these; the replay file always includes the data on them. But do we need to keep this?

If we are going to keep this - I think it should be expanded so that all UI actions are saved to the replay file and can be played back. The other option is to only record the actual gameplay, and discard purely-UI actions when saving a replay. I don't want to keep the current middle ground either way; I want to go with one or the other. If we do include all UI stuff in the replay, the option to not show it when replaying will remain available. If we discard it, of course, there won't be any need for an option, as we can't replay something we don't have information on.

Even though I was one of the people who wanted to keep the UI stuff, over time I've found myself leaning more towards that it doesn't need to be replayed. And, of course, it's easier to code this way.

The reason I ask is because I'm working on the new replay format (and associated code) at the moment.

On that note, here's an example of a new replay file. Note that the extra info like lemming position and direction isn't currently used; it's just saved so that in future, code can be added to try and recover replays that have been broken by physics changes etc.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:54:11 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [PLAYER] Do we want to keep UI actions in the replay?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
It seems votes are mostly in favor of excluding these from the replay.

To the person who voted yes (and anyone else who may agree with them): Would you mind expanding on why you'd like these to be included?
To those who voted no: Do any of you have an opinion explicitly of "no, it should not exist", or would you consider your view more along the lines of "I don't care if there's support for it, as long as it can be turned off"?

I would still say at this stage it's most likely support for such things is going to be dropped, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:41:06 PM »
I personally can't think of any good reason/ benefit of this, and I've always wondered why it existed in the first place.
Ususally it just annoys me, for instance, I'll be getting ready to take over/end the replay and make a move when the skill gets changed right before and I make a mistake, then have to back up or replay again.

I don't care if there's support for it, as long as it can be turned off :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »
It's really not looking like there's much demand for it, so I won't bother to add support.
My Lemmings projects