Author Topic: Level Idea  (Read 64957 times)

tumble_weed

Re: Level Idea
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2005, 08:24:58 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1119907802/60#73 date=1120867489
TW, what I'm more concerned about is that the only change you've made to the solution is covering the water by the door. The only other changes seem to be small and aesthetic. That's cool as well, I guess . . .

yeah pretty much

I couldn't do much else to the solution it was all already pretty much intricately planned out.

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2005, 11:11:20 AM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1119907802/75#75 date=1120897498
I couldn't do much else to the solution it was all already pretty much intricately planned out.

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who feel that the solution/level is way too completed at this point.  Someone clearly ignored what I said about leaving room for the next person.

Heck, even the exit's placed with no room for expansion.  That's the thing, the level feels too constricted already, seeming to leave little room for anything other than minor aesthetic expansions.  And it leaves you with the dilemma of whether to just plow over the neat solution concept it requires right now so you can actually put something besides decorations to the level, or to spend the extra time figuring out how to augment the level without changing the solution too much.

I suppose though I should reserve judgment until I see what Insane Steve and Shvegait will do to the level.  I suppose the level can always use a second entrance or something. :)

Conway

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2005, 02:11:14 PM »
Oh, sorry about that! I guess I'm just used to closing levels ready for press. I'm not used to leaving a level half-done. If you like, Tumble Weed, I'll start fresh from Timbalisto's base and post a more open level.

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2005, 02:33:08 PM »
Nah, don't worry about it, we can always start a second group level later.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2005, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what a second level would bring.  

I'm sorry about the exit space thing.  I tried to go as far as I could to give a little space, and, I did.  But it apparently wasn't enough.  Next time I'll try harder to stretch it out - I think I was forgetting that aesthetics could be implemented later by everyone else.

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2005, 09:11:38 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1119907802/75#79 date=1120920515
I tried to go as far as I could to give a little space, and, I did.

Well on second thought, I guess there might be some room for expansion between the one-way wall and the exit.  Though one needs to be careful to preserve the concept of what you're currently supposed to do in that section.

Conway

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2005, 11:59:44 PM »
Don't worry about the concept. I was being selfish by making the solution so specific. Fell free to destroy it completely as you see fit, Steve!

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2005, 03:57:47 AM »
Quote from: Conway  link=1119907802/75#81 date=1120953584
Don't worry about the concept. I was being selfish by making the solution so specific. Fell free to destroy it completely as you see fit, Steve!

But you see, the concept is so good I like it and would hate to throw it away just like that.   :-/

...Well, unless if the replacement is better I guess, hehe.

Anyway, with 2 more person before my turn, I guess I really have to wait and see.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2005, 04:21:16 AM »
I have an idea for how to add something to the level without messing with its current solution too badly, but it'll take some working.

What's the maximum number of skills I can add to the level?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2005, 03:17:09 PM »
You can add five.

Oh, and if you like the solution then you can just keep the level in its current form and use it.  I mean, that is one of the reasons we upload each version right?  (I know the obvious reason but that can be one too).

JM

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2005, 04:56:05 PM »
This level will be amazing when it is complete.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2005, 11:48:27 PM »
Hrm.  You think so?  I don't know.  It could really change in the next steps.  I sure hope it's good though.  Right now it's pretty good.

tumble_weed

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2005, 04:08:59 PM »
well dont worry its our first try...maybe the first person shouldn't add any terrain to start with...

that way it would take more turns to make a complete level...also maybe the entrace and exit could be placed on either side of the level

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2005, 07:01:55 PM »
Quote from: tumble_weed  link=1119907802/75#87 date=1121098139
also maybe the entrace and exit could be placed on either side of the level

That would make the level a bit too big.  Most levels don't utilize (ie. for purposes other than decoration) anywhere near that much space.

What would've been really nice to have, but is missing in CustLemm, is a teleport object.  With a teleport object you have much more freedom in stitching various parts of the level together.  I guess we could try that when (if) we do a Cheapo version of group levels.

Offline Isu

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »
I was hoping that the second group level would be cheapo, because using lemedit gives me much more hassle, and I do want to participate to a group level too ya know... :D