Author Topic: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER][IMPLEMENTED] no auto replay on reverse or restart  (Read 7518 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION][PLAYER] no auto replay on reverse or restart
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 02:36:44 AM »
right- I wasn't thinking about that.

I think I change my request/suggestion to mainly focus on just avoiding replaying during timeskip backtrack and Save States.

An example, though I don't know if it argues any point, many emulators have save states but don't have this replay feature, work just fine for me. Maybe this is why it feels so unnatural to me.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
I think that dividing the postview screen options into Replay, Restart and Exit is a sensible idea (this may require the addition of mouse support on non-game screens to be convenient, though... but that shouldn't be very hard).

In regards to in-play, is it safe to say then that having an option as to whether or not to go into replay mode after a backwards skip is sufficient?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »
I sent out a test version to a few people with the change of having an option to not enter replay mode upon backwards framestepping. This includes any kind of backwards step that doesn't exit gameplay - whether it's backwards skip by a set amount (eg: B - <), loading a saved state (Backspace), or restarting the level(R).

For the most part feedback has been good, but people have mentioned now that they don't like it cancelling the replay upon pressing R. >_>
Is there anyone who does want it to cancel the replay when doing that? Depending on the responses, I may either simply change it so R is exempt from the auto-cancel, or add the possibility to configure a "restart and clear replay" hotkey.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
I'd rather go with the "restart and clear replay" hotkey. I always press the replay hotkey when I restart my levels and for me find it convenient when the level is replayed.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
Since I'm beginning to feel like there are beginning to be too many buttons/options anyway; I'd rather go with just keeping restart/replay as it currently is [auto replay] Like I said, my main issue was with backtracking and save state. When it comes down to it; I think having two hotkeys for replay and restart wouldn't be much different from the current system of press a button, replay, press once more to cancel the replay but the current system is simpler.

So yeah, my vote is for "change it so R is exempt from the auto-cancel"

This, while I might have been a tad annoyed by it at times, at least feels expected to me, while the backtracking/save state thing did not at all. This is the simplest solution anyway, I think.

I'd rather go with the "restart and clear replay" hotkey. I always press the replay hotkey when I restart my levels and for me find it convenient when the level is replayed.

If you mainly like replaying, I'll assume you're not annoyed by any of these issues then I'd assume not having more buttons would be better. And to be clear; if this option is not checked the game plays exactly as it did before for everyone else?

EDIT: I also just noticed that you enabled auto-replay when you retry from exiting the level to the end screen, awesome! thanks :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:15:25 AM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 12:24:51 AM »
EDIT: I also just noticed that you enabled auto-replay when you retry from exiting the level to the end screen, awesome! thanks

That's nothing new. It was (IIRC) V1.38n-B where this change was first introduced. I've made that part exempt from the "no automatic replay mode", though I can change that if people would prefer.

EDIT: Or not, since I'm more leaning towards having seperate "Replay" and "Restart" options here anyway, regardless of settings.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:50:30 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects