Author Topic: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-C | Flexi Toolkit V1.17 | GSTool V1.03  (Read 16956 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
The latest player update adds a mass-replay checker (accessible by pressing F7 on the title screen then selecting a replay; all replays in the same folder as the selected one will be tested), fixes a lot of bugs, and cleans up some inconsistencies with the climber, as well as a few other tweaks. The big change is that there's no more "Prevent Direct Drop" option; all new packs will have this option applied. There is a temporary backwards compatibility for older packs; but this will be removed a few versions down the line - it is simply there to give pack creators time to adjust their levels for it, if need be. As usual, the subsequent minor updates are mostly bugfixes, though V1.43n-C introduces a new format for the save file (it is capable of loading older save files, so your progress won't be lost; but will always use the new format when saving).

V1.43n
------
* Direct drop is now always disabled; however this is (for now) not applied to packs that do not
  require V1.42n or higher.
* Swimmer and Drowner no longer have the same sound effect.
* A sound now plays when a lemming falls out of the level.
* Multiple copies of the same sound will no longer play at the same time.
* Added functionality to mass-test replays. To do this, place all the replays you want to test in
  the same folder, press F7 at the title screen, and select any replay in that folder. Replays from
  as far back as V1.03n are supported, though those from versions older than V1.35n will only work
  if they were created in a dedicated player (not if they were loaded as single levels or played
  through testplay mode).
* Fixed the following bugs:
  > A climber can climb through an overhang 7 pixels above the ground, as long as the wall isn't
    exactly 7 pixels tall.
  > A climber can climb through overhangs at 8 pixels above the ground if the wall is exactly 9
    pixels tall.
  > Climbers who hit an overhang at the same height may fall at different times, depending on the
    height of the overhang and whether or not it's at the top of the wall.
  > Single levels don't usually play music unless they have a specific track specified.
  > It's possible to open a non-existant file, resulting in a blank level.
  > When loading a replay file, the game remains paused.
  > The entrance displayed wrong in-game in some graphic sets (primarily, but not exclusively,
    Cheapo or Lemmini conversions).
  > When "Ignore Replay Skill Selections" is on, assigning a skill to a highlit lemming neither
    gets recorded nor interrupts the replay if in replay mode at the time.

V1.43n-B
--------
* Direct drop backwards compatibility has been removed.
  > Level dumping fails in packs that use oddtabling.
  > Backwards framesteps may cause a desync between current state and replay.
  > Backwards framesteps may change the highlit lemming, sometimes only visually,
    sometimes functionally as well.
  > Saved replay text files have a blank space instead of the pack's name.

V1.43n-C
--------
* The score system has been removed.
* The save file format has been replaced. New save files can be identified by them
  having the ".nxsv" extension instead of ".sav".
* Fixes the following bugs:
  > Online options configured in the config menu aren't saved even though they display
    correctly.

V1.43n-D
--------
* Fixed a bug that caused errors if a player was to pause the game (before performing
  any action recorded in the replay), change the release rate, then perform a frame
  advance without first unpausing.

V1.43n-E
--------
* The default selected level when playing a rank that has been completed
  is now the first level, rather than the last one.
* Fixed a bug that caused auto-saved replays to sometimes be empty.

V1.43n-F
--------
* Adds an option to cancel the replay following a backwards frame skip.
* The Desert graphic set's quicksand trap now plays a sound when triggered.
  > Locked exits display in their locked state (but function as unlocked)
     in a level with no unlock buttons.
   > Backwards frameskips beyond the start of the level, when Ignore Replay
     Skill Selection is on, can reset the selected skill.
   > If music is turned off then on again before it starts playing, it will
     start, then restart when it should've started normally.

V1.43n-F-alt
------------
* Disables Windowed mode and removes some code relating to it.

Generally you will want to use V1.43n-F. However, (at the cost of disabling windowed mode), V1.43n-F-alt might have slightly less problems under WINE, or with certain recording software.

Download V1.43n-F: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/NeoLemmix143n-F.exe
Download V1.43n-F-alt: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/NeoLemmixAlt.exe
NXPs of Official Games: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2479.0
Source: V1.43n | V1.43n-B onwards

The Editor update implements a couple of recent suggestions and finally fixes a harmless but annoying bug that's been around for quite some time. The -B update likewise just implements a few suggestions and bugfixes, including one very long-awaited feature: Undo and Redo. :)

V1.43n
------
> Level List window has been remade from scratch. One advantage is that scrolling no longer interferes
  with selection.
> Added a "Lock Piece" selection. Locked pieces cannot be modified at all; they can still be copied.
  Lock data is preserved when saving / loading a level in either NeoLemmix or SuperLemmini format.
> Fixed the bug where one-way arrows get drawn onto objects as well as suitable terrain.

V1.43n-B
--------
> Added Undo and Redo functionality (via "Edit" on the menu bar, or Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Y respectively)
> Added an option for whether or not to set No Overwrite by default on most objects.
> Removed the hotkey "H" to toggle the highlighting of selected pieces.
> Added a horizontal scroll bar in the piece selection window.
> Fixed the following bugs:
  - Right-click popup menu only works when there is no piece underneath the cursor
   - Locked pieces cannot be unlocked
   - Locked pieces can be deleted
   - Some hotkeys stop working after resizing the split panels at the bottom
   - Some S / L value setting panels may be visible when they shouldn't when sub-windows are docked
   - One-Way arrows are rendered on steel piecel (semi-fixed; it still doesn't take into account
     manually placed steel areas)

V1.43n-C
--------
> Removed the panels at the bottom of the main window
> Various improvements to window ordering
> Fixes the following bugs:
  - Input in text boxes is discarded unless another text box is selected before saving
  - Screen jumps to screen start position when undoing / redoing

Download for new users: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixeditor143nc.zip

The V1.11 update to Flexi Toolkit is solely to remove the "Prevent Direct Drop" option. V1.12 adds quite a lot of nice fixes / improvements. V1.13 is just a bugfix update. V1.14 allows arbitrary filenames for levels instead of a strict system of names. V1.15 and V1.16 are just more bugfix updates. V1.17 adds the ability to track replays.

V1.11
> Removes the "Disable Direct Drop" option; direct drop is now always disabled.

V1.12
-----
> Added a checkbox on the Levels tab to indicate if a rank has a Rank Sign image or
  not; clicking it when it is unselected will allow selecting one.
> Default music rotation list for a new project is now the 17 Orig + 6 OhNo musics,
  rather than a blank list.
> Added an option to reset the music rotation to default.
> Added buttons to move levels to other ranks.
> System / lemming graphics can now be imported from GIF or BMP files as well as PNG,
  and selection of a transparent color can be done rather than having to create the
   images with transparency. Export is still PNG-only.
> Fixed a bug where deleted LVL files may remain in the output, and be re-added next
  time the project is loaded.

V1.13
-----
> Actually fixed the bug with deleted LVL files.

V1.14
-----
> Level filenames can now be arbitrary. The list of which level is which position is kept in the
  levels.ini file in the levels subfolder.

V1.15
-----
> Fixes a bug where an error may occur when attempting to open very old packs.

V1.16
-----
> Fixes a bug which may corrupt levelpacks that are saved after using the buttons to move levels
  to different ranks.

V1.17
-----
> Replays can now be tracked alongside levels.

Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/FlexiToolOld.zip
Source: V1.11 | V1.12 onwards
Tutorial: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/flexitutorial.html
Resource Packs: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neoflexi.html

There was no corresponding graphic set tool update here, but I'm putting the download link for the old (SuperLemmini- and NeoLemmix V1.43n-F- supporting version) so all of these can be found in one place.

Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/gstoolold.zip
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:08:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: Player V1.43n | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »
What is "Prevent Direct Drop"?

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:24:53 PM »
"Direct drop" is the mechanic, present in some versions of Original Lemmings (DOS and Genesis at least; not in Amiga and Mac), whereby lemmings can fall onto the exit from any height, and will exit instead of splatting. (Technically, the lemming is converted into a splatter, which then exits.)

"Prevent direct drop" was an option for designers who wished to remove this mechanic (so lemmings falling onto the exit from too great a height would splat). As namida said, after a previous discussion it was decided to always disable direct drop, so the option is no longer there.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 04:50:04 PM »
Since updating to V1.43, I haven't been able to change the music from the Amiga music while playing Lemmings Plus I whereas I was able to before updating.

I still have the .dat files for the Acorn,Dos,Genesis etc. which used to be on the NeoLemmix site and I've downloaded the newer .ogg files.

Just want to check that I'm not overlooking anything as I have put the files in a subfolder labelled "music" as stated on the NeoLemmix site.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
The "music" subfolder is a subfolder of where the EXE is, not where the NXPs are (if that's a different folder), right?

The DAT files aren't needed anymore. Just the OGG files, which should be in the "music" subfolder - the names should be left as-is in the ZIPs, not changed to "track_01" etc.

Do you have a recent version of Lemmings Plus I? It doesn't have to be the very latest, but it should be at least recent enough that no warning dialog pops up when loading it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
I think I've found out what's wrong. I was trying to use the Oh No music with Lemmings Plus I but I'm guessing that pack won't trigger with that level pack.

I wasn't able to get the Oh No music files to work with Lemmings plus I in V1.40 either but the others except Special of course all work.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 05:35:01 PM »
Ah. Packs won't use music outside the ones that are specified for them to use (in the case of LPI, it specifies only orig_01 through orig_17, also with 16 and 17's positions swapped). It will only use alternative versions of the same tracks.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
Can't seem to find any pack which uses the Oh No Dos music except for the Oh No More Lemmings .nxp itself.

Guess I just love the Oh No music a little too much :evil:

Oh Well, I did find something out while sussing out all of this. I learned how to turn the 00 skills into blank spaces which I prefer.

Thanks for your help namida :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »
Can't seem to find any pack which uses the Oh No Dos music except for the Oh No More Lemmings .nxp itself.

NeoLemmix Introduction pack in a few levels; Extra Official Levels NXP; Lemmings Plus II; Lemmings Plus Omega (note that this last one doesn't follow the track order you'd expect, and only two of the ONML tracks are used in it). GigaLems does theoretically, but in practice the most-updated version of it predates the current music system so it isn't possible to use custom versions of the tracks with it. (With that being said, I'm pretty sure this means it will revert to the default ordering, which would indeed mean a few levels get ONML musics.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:58:15 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
Player V1.43n-B has been released.

Note that it removes altogether the direct drop backwards compatibility (which it appears wasn't quite working properly anyway). That aside, it fixes the desync and highlight-lemming-change bugs associated with backwards framesteps.

For the avoidance of doubt, secret level and gimmick support has not been removed.

EDIT: First upload, I forgot to remove the "EXPERIMENTAL PLAYER VERSION" marker. If this bothers you, just redownload it now (there's no change between the reuploaded version and the previous one except that the reuploaded one hasn't got that message, so if it doens't bother you, no need to redownload).
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:16:41 AM »
I don't know if this is just me, but:

I double checked, Highlight Lemming is bound to right-mouse-click and in game it doesnt work for me, unless I activate One-click-Highlight.
Without this option I cannot manage to highlight a Lemming at all.
It may be already explained somewhere how to do it without it, but the fact that I cannot naturally manage highlighting without this option is not optimal.

EDIT: Maybe make it the deafault option could help aswell.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Sounds like a bug. The intended behaviour is:

- "One Click Highlight" on, Highlight assigned to RMB or MMB: Click the lemming with RMB or MMB to highlight it
- "One Click Highlight" off, Highlight assigned to RMB or MMB: Hold the RMB / MMB and left-click a lemming to highlight it
- Any setting for "One Click Highlight", Highlight assigned to a keyboard key: Hold the key and left-click a lemming to highlight it

Default settings should be One-Click Highlight on, and Highlight assigned to RMB.

I'll check that all combinations and defaults are still performing as intended, and fix them up if they're not.

EDIT: Just checked, and at least for me, everything is working as intended. If the above behaviours aren't working for you (as opposed to just misunderstanding how they should work, which would simply suggest better explanations is needed somewhere), can you come on #neolemmix?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 09:28:41 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-C | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »
Player V1.43n-C update released. Some futureproofing, removed the score system, and a minor bugfix.

V1.43n-C
--------
* The score system has been removed.
* The save file format has been replaced. New save files can be identified by them
  having the ".nxsv" extension instead of ".sav".
* Fixes the following bugs:
  > Online options configured in the config menu aren't saved even though they display
    correctly.

Unless there's bugs with any of the changes, this will probably be the last version in the V1.43n branch, and as such, the last version intended for general usage for a while.

For the record - it can load your old save files just fine. No need to start over again. :)

For the avoidance of doubt - gimmicks are still intact! However, the new save format doesn't save forced gimmick settings; I saw no reason to bother, since this is going to probably be the only release that supports forced gimmicks /and/ uses the new save format.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-D | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 05:49:08 AM »
An update to the player to fix a bug that occurs in very specific, but very surprising that it took so long to occur, circumstances:

V1.43n-D
--------
* Fixed a bug that caused errors if a player was to pause the game (before performing
  any action recorded in the replay), change the release rate, then perform a frame
  advance without first unpausing.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-D | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
(At least) V1.43n-D appears to have a bug that causes auto-saved replays to sometimes be empty. The exact cause isn't yet determined. Please do not rely on auto-saving of replays until I can investigate this; be sure to manually save any replay files you want to keep.

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2564.0

EDIT: After some investigation of the code (have not tested in-game), it would appear that this should only happen if one exits the postview screen directly to the main menu. If one instead goes to the next level's preview screen, the replay will save properly. This bug most likely affects all versions starting from when the change was made to not erase replay data if the user fails, views the postview screen, and immediately retries.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:29:21 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-E | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 02:56:59 AM »
V1.43n-E update released. Fixes the above bug, and implements one other very minor (but logical) suggestion that was made recently.

V1.43n-E
--------
* The default selected level when playing a rank that has been completed
  is now the first level, rather than the last one.
* Fixed a bug that caused auto-saved replays to sometimes be empty.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-E | Editor V1.42n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:55 AM »
Finally, an editor update! The Level List window has been completely remade from scratch; there's also a feature to lock pieces to prevent modification (of course, this can be undone; it's not a security feature, it's a mistake-protection feature). And, the one-way-arrows-get-drawn-on-objects bug is finally fixed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Player V1.43n-E | Editor V1.43n | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:23 AM »
a few questions about this new editor update:
In the inspector window [has changed quite a bit and looks great as does the list window :thumbsup: ] there is now a new thing far off to the right "movement direction" and a complex arrow symbol/form thing. What the heck is that for? ???

Also, note, I was only able to see this by setting the inspector window in the bottom panes and widening the pane so it extended quite a bit. You cannot resize the properties windows when floating.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 02:49:53 AM »
Also, note, I was only able to see this by setting the inspector window in the bottom panes and widening the pane so it extended quite a bit. You cannot resize the properties windows when floating.

If you've noticed the new panels for setting S/L value effects directly (without having to know the raw values, eg. you don't have to know that an L value of 9 gives a pre-placed lemming Climber and Glider status, you just have to tick the "Climber" and "Glider" boxes); it's one of those. They get moved out of the way when a relevant object isn't selected (for that matter, it should be hidden altogether, but I guess I overlooked something here), but I overlooked the possibility of revealing them by docking it and then resizing that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:33 AM »
^That's very cool btw. The editor is coming along very nice in terms of user friendliness imo. At least compared to what it was. :D

But I don't think you know what I meant. I was referring to this; see pic.

this doesn't seem to effect pre-placed lemmings in a level
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »
Yes, that is what I was talking about. Pre-placed lemming assignments is just one example. There's several different ones of them; the one you're seeing there is for moving background objects.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
EDIT: Ignore this post, I changed my mind about going to V1.44n now. However, keep it in mind anyway - while it doesn't affect this very next version, it will likely have effects in the future, so it may be worth planning ahead now to account for it.

At this point, I'm not going to further update the V1.43n branch.

Probably within the next few days, I'll be releasing V1.44n. It will include the removal of gimmicks (except zombies), secret level triggers, etc, but will not have any changes to physics outside of the culled features (in particular - it won't have the proposed changes to basher behaviour, for example).

At this point, I strongly urge people to consider updating their packs to change / replace / remove any levels using these features. For the playability of older content (including converted Cheapo content), V1.43n-E will remain available to download, but it will not be updated to implement any new features, bugfixes, etc, nor will any support for it generally be given.

As a reminder, the culled features are:
- Secret levels
- All gimmicks (including Cheapo Mode), except zombies
- The "Zombie" gimmick flag - all levels are now assumed to have this on (to have no zombies, simply do not place any zombies)
- Triggered exits (not sure if these have ever been used)
- Two-way teleporters
- Single-object teleporters

The following features are also deprecated at this point - the next update will still support them, but they probably won't be supported for much longer, and so you may want to get rid of them in your packs at the same time:
- Oddtabling (tip: use the "Import Layout" option in the editor for a similar effect)
- Invisible objects
- Fake objects

The following are currently under questioning, so it may be wise to avoid them; however they are not confirmed for removal yet (and very possibly may not get removed in the end):
- Objects (other than one-way-arrows) drawn only on terrain

While there's nothing stopping you from continuing to make and play levels for the older versions if that's what you want to do, I do highly discourage this as it's probably going to mean less people play your levels - and this will likely become more and more true as NeoLemmix improves over time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:15:12 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
How about naming it V2.00 instead of V1.44? Given that V1.43 will be the last stable release for a while and will be kept as a download option, it probably should stand out among all the releases and not vanish as just one out of several dozens of V1.xy releases.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
I was wanting to wait until some more significant changes for that - in particular, a proper pack/level browser, and the completion of changing to text / directory based formats (at the moment, the only thing that's been changed to such a format is the savegame files).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »
I decided not to go ahead with going to V1.44n now, instead releasing a V1.43n-F update to address the few non-physics bugs / suggestions that I've implemented recently.

However, except in the case of severe bugs (ie: game crashes, physics not matching V1.43n-E, gameplay / replay desyncs), there will be no further updates beyond this one, at all, for a while. This is to give time to tidy up a lot of the code, make as many as possible of the needed physics changes in one go (rather than repeatedly breaking things in successive releases), and perhaps overhaul the file formats at the same time, for the purposes of both user-friendliness and friendliness for the content database project.

V1.43n-F
--------
* Adds an option to cancel the replay following a backwards frame skip.
* The Desert graphic set's quicksand trap now plays a sound when triggered.
  > Locked exits display in their locked state (but function as unlocked)
     in a level with no unlock buttons.
   > Backwards frameskips beyond the start of the level, when Ignore Replay
     Skill Selection is on, can reset the selected skill.
   > If music is turned off then on again before it starts playing, it will
     start, then restart when it should've started normally.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n | Flexi Toolkit V1.11
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
I noticed that I accidentally removed a line responsible for displaying the saved lemming counts as relative. I've fixed that now and reuploaded.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n | Flexi Toolkit V1.12
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 04:27:36 AM »
V1.12 update for the Flexi Toolkit. Not a critical update, but it's got some nice additions / changes / fixes. :)

V1.12
-----
> Added a checkbox on the Levels tab to indicate if a rank has a Rank Sign image or
  not; clicking it when it is unselected will allow selecting one.
> Default music rotation list for a new project is now the 17 Orig + 6 OhNo musics,
  rather than a blank list.
> Added an option to reset the music rotation to default.
> Added buttons to move levels to other ranks.
> System / lemming graphics can now be imported from GIF or BMP files as well as PNG,
  and selection of a transparent color can be done rather than having to create the
   images with transparency. Export is still PNG-only.
> Fixed a bug where deleted LVL files may remain in the output, and be re-added next
  time the project is loaded.

EDIT: Tutorial has been updated to include V1.12 modifications.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:44:18 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.12
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 05:05:32 AM »
V1.43n-B update for the editor released.

V1.43n-B
--------
> Added Undo and Redo functionality (via "Edit" on the menu bar, or Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Y respectively)
> Added an option for whether or not to set No Overwrite by default on most objects.
> Removed the hotkey "H" to toggle the highlighting of selected pieces.
> Added a horizontal scroll bar in the piece selection window.
> Fixed the following bugs:
  - Right-click popup menu only works when there is no piece underneath the cursor
   - Locked pieces cannot be unlocked
   - Locked pieces can be deleted
   - Some hotkeys stop working after resizing the split panels at the bottom
   - Some S / L value setting panels may be visible when they shouldn't when sub-windows are docked
   - One-Way arrows are rendered on steel piecel (semi-fixed; it still doesn't take into account
     manually placed steel areas)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 07:10:04 PM »
Warning! A bug in the current editor version V1.43n-B regarding the panels:

If you put a winow into the panels and try to edit a value like lvl size, skill ammount or even level name.....the input is ignored!

Numbers will go into the 6th bracket of the bottom of the window (beside items selected). Outside of the panels, inputs into the windows will work normal.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »
Ugh. >_>
I'm 99% sure this will be related to the fix for hotkeys breaking after resizing the split panels. But I'm back to the "I have no idea" point in regards to how to fix both at the same time... I'll try to look into it sometime. Or, maybe it's time to just get rid of those damn panels, they cause nothing but problems...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.13
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
Flexi Toolkit update. This one *actually* fixes the deleted LVL bug.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:35 AM »
Are gimmicks still supposed to make gimmick music play automatically (provided the level doesn't specify any music)? Because that's not happening with NeoLemmix Player V1.43n-F.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
Are gimmicks still supposed to make gimmick music play automatically (provided the level doesn't specify any music)? Because that's not happening with NeoLemmix Player V1.43n-F.

No; this hasn't happened for a long time now. If you're wanting to make a level do so, you need to specify "frenzy" or "gimmick" as the music file; be aware that gimmicks are being removed altogether with the next major (ie: V1.44n) update. V1.43n-F will remain available for those who want to play older content that relies on to-be-removed features, though obviously this means any UI improvements / etc won't be available.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:11:30 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
I've uploaded an alternate verison of NeoLemmix V1.43n-F. This doesn't contain any new features or changes in mechanics from V1.43n-F; the only difference is that it disables windowed mode, and removes some of the behind-the-scenes code to support it. Hence, it is labelled V1.43n-F-alt, rather than V1.43n-G.

The reason for this is that the code that enables windowed mode can cause issues on WINE, and with certain recording software. This is not guaranteed to fix issues, but you can try it if you're having such problems. On Windows, in the absence of recording software, it makes no difference.

I have tried with Ubuntu and the LXDE desktop, and it does not help for me. Another user tried on Ubuntu with the Unity desktop, and said it fixed the problems they were having. Yet another user who uses Debian (I'm not sure what desktop) and an older version of WINE never had problems in the first place.

In regards to recording software, I haven't had any feedback as to what it does or doesn't improve. Open Broadcaster Software does not have issues with NeoLemmix in the first place, provided Screen Capture mode is used. XSplit seems to have issues, according to one streamer; I have no feedback yet as to whether or not this version helps. Another piece of software, which I can't remember the name of (but might've been a CyberLink product) also doesn't appear to have issues in the first place.

So - if you're having any such issues - feel free to try it. I can't promise it will fix anything, but it can't hurt to try.

The normal version of course still remains available, and I recommend you use the normal version unless you're specifically having any problems of those natures.

I'll continue to see if I can improve the de-windowing in this version, since most people say that V1.37n (the last version without windowed mode) or EXE-based standalone players (also lacking windowed mode) didn't have these problems.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.14
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Toolkit V1.14 update released.

V1.14
-----
> Level filenames can now be arbitrary. The list of which level is which position is kept in the
  levels.ini file in the levels subfolder.

Basically, like the changelog says, you can now call your project's level files anything you like, rather than having to follow a strict naming scheme. A "levels.ini" file is used to track the names.

To update old projects to this format, simply open them with the new version of the toolkit. Note that it may become impossible to load it in older versions after doing this. This does not affect which versions of NeoLemmix can play your pack; only which versions of Flexi Toolkit can edit it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.15
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
A minor, and long-overdue, update for Flexi to fix a bug which can occur when opening level packs created in very old versions of the toolkit.

V1.15
-----
> Fixes a bug where an error may occur when attempting to open very old packs.

(Specifically, this is the bug where you get an error about a "levels" folder not existing, when trying to open a pack that has LEVELxxx.DAT files.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-B | Flexi Toolkit V1.16
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 02:54:56 AM »
Uploaded Flexi Toolkit V1.16 update.

This update should be considered critical, as it fixes a bug that can otherwise lead to very significant data loss.

If you cannot update at the moment, then please check what version you have (Help > About on the menu bar). If it's V1.14 or V1.15, do NOT use the "Move To Prev. Rank" / "Move To Next Rank" buttons on the Levels tab, otherwise you may lose a LOT of data when trying to save the pack. (It is safe to use these in V1.12 or V1.13, and any version older than that doesn't have these buttons.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-C | Flexi Toolkit V1.16
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 04:12:24 AM »
Released an editor update V1.43n-C.

V1.43n-C
--------
> Removed the panels at the bottom of the main window
> Various improvements to window ordering
> Fixes the following bugs:
  - Input in text boxes is discarded unless another text box is selected before saving
  - Screen jumps to screen start position when undoing / redoing

Not too important, just a few fixes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-C | Flexi Toolkit V1.16
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 08:53:24 PM »
I've added a feature to Flexi that allows attaching a replay file to each level. If the level changes (even if the LVL file is modified directly, rather than being reimported), Flexi will mark the replay as out of date (this can be manually overridden in the case that the replay still works for the modified level). There's also a "Replay Check" that makes sure every level has an up-to-date replay. This won't be a full substitute for the mass replay checker, as it can't actually test that the replays work (it just relies on "Has the level been modified since the replay was attached / last confirmed as working?"), but it'll be a nice help, as well as a way to maintain the replay files in the proper order even if levels are reordered.

Once I've tested this some more, I'll release it, probably in the next few days.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.43n-F | Editor V1.43n-C | Flexi Toolkit V1.17
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
Well, it took a while, but here's the update with that feature!

I haven't updated the tutorial to explain it yet. In short:

- To attach a replay to a level, double-click the level on the "Levels" tab, then load from the popup menu.
- You can mass-export the replays via the menu bar. There's currently no mass-import feature.
- You can check that all levels have an up-to-date replay (defined as that the replay was either imported, or manually marked as up-to-date, since the last time the level was modified) on the Other tab, in the same place as the existing Issue Checker.
- Replays will remain attached to the correct level even if the level is moved in the ordering, including when moved to a different rank.
- Remember that this is not a full-fledged replacement for the mass replay checker. Before releasing your project, use the mass replay checker to confirm you have working replays for every level.
- Flexi does not in any way force you to have a replay file present for every level.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 02:57:40 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »
Equipping levels with replays as proof, that's extremely smart and is direly-needed tooling. The general principle is that there must be automation for level -> replay, not only, as before, for replay -> level.

I have 200 levels, 3 or 4 replays per level, and the replay checker tells me that 50 of the 800 replays fail. I don't care about any single replay in particular. I can throw away some replays and the pack is still OK.

But I care pedantically that every level remain solvable. The level is the central piece of data in our culture, therefore all tooling should treat the level as central. The tooling must make explicit when there are levels that lack a proof, that's more important than when a certain replay fails.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »
Currently, there's no support for multiple replays per level. This is definitely something I could consider adding in a near-future update to the toolkit if it's widely requested, though.

There is the downside that currently, Flexi Tool has no way of actually knowing "does the replay work" - hence why it instead simply detects "has the level been modified since the replay was last imported / flagged as okay". This part of the problem will probably need to wait for the new version of NL for a fix.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »
Well, I don't know if anyone else is making use of it, but I'm finding the replay feature really handy. So I thought, why not turbo-charge it? :)

I've been working on an update that now lets you attach more than one replay to each level. A note can be attached to each one, as can a general classification (and when exporting replays, you can choose which classifications to export or not). For example, you might want to keep track of backroute replays using this feature; you can export them seperately from intended solution replays.

So far, the feature seems to work pretty solidly, though as usual I'll want to test it a bit more before releasing. I also still need to add a way to modify the categories; currently it's only possible to add / rename categories by modifying the data files directly (though it is a plain text file, so at least it's relatively simple to do).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
After a little bit more work, the feature itself seems pretty stable; the only thing that's missing is a way to customize the classifications (by default, it has "Unclassified", "Intended", "Acceptable", "Backroute", "Attempt" and "Talisman").

But I figure some people would probably find it useful to get this feature as soon as possible, and I often tend to take a while to get these "one last thing" features actually implemented (and even more so to be satisfied with how tested something of this scale is), so here's an experimental version that includes the new replay manager (it's accessed via the menu bar):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvj2e7wxw71mcyg/FlexiToolkit.exe

If you want to edit the classifications for a project, you can do so by saving the project, exiting the Flexi Toolkit, and editing the "replays.ini" file in the "replays" folder. Everything before the first blank line is treated as a classification name, and there is no limit on how many of them you can have. I strongly advise against modifying anything after the first blank line, but if you want to experiment, that's your call.

I shouldn't need to remind you of this by now - this is an experimental version, so always keep backups or use some kind of revision control (such as git). In fact, that's a very good idea even when using a stable version.

It should be quite simple to use. If you're wondering "how do I choose which level to attach a replay to?!", the answer is you don't need to - Flexi auto detects it based on the level ID stored in the replay. (Indeed, attaching one level's replay to a different level - which Flexi won't allow you to do, but can be done manually by editing the files or when importing a project from an older version of Flexi - can cause weird stuff to happen, the most common symptom being a replay displays as out of date even when it isn't.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
I still haven't got around to getting it ready for a full release, but I updated the experimental version to fix a major bug - namely, that replay data was lost when a level is moved to a different rank (it's retained without problems when merely moving the level within the same rank).

Some known minor bugs remain, but the severity of these is pretty much limited to "sometimes the list doesn't update right away when you change something".

After using this feature quite extensively during work on LPV, I haven't encountered any severe bugs other than the one fixed here, so it's probably pretty safe to use this version. But just to be sure, keep backups!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »
I have updated the original post here with links that permanently link to these older versions; the reason being due to that some packs may need to be made for V1.43n-F rather than newer versions (although I hope that people only use this for purposes such as preserving Cheapo content, rather than clinging to old features that have been removed as design decisions) and that the older editor version supports SuperLemmini whereas newer ones do not.
My Lemmings projects