Author Topic: User file  (Read 6911 times)

Paul Dickens

User file
« on: May 18, 2005, 08:09:18 AM »
Hi,
I'm running the original Win 95 version of Lemmings and Oh No not more Lemmings on two networked computers (running XP) and I want to synchronise the files on the computers so that the user info and "level reached" by each user is the same on each computer.
Does anyone know where Lemmings stores the user info and the level reached by each user? None of the files on my installation seems to have been modified since installation of the game.
Paul

Re: User file
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 09:05:23 AM »
I don't even have the Windows version of lemmings, but being a Windows 95 program, it would probably store its settings in the system registry.  Unfortunately you'll have to figure out on your own where within that vast database of settings (pretty much every Windows program store their settings there, or is supposed to) the lemmings stuff are stored.

Of course, if push comes to shove, you can always export the entire system registry and re-import the whole thing in your other computer.  However, it means transferring every single settings for every program and device of your one computer to your other, probably slightly (or very) different computer.  So something's likely going to end up broken on the target computer if you try to do that, though perhaps Lemmings would still run.

Paul Dickens

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 11:26:42 AM »
Brilliant - thanks. You're quite right. The relevant info is all in the Registry. I'm certainly not going to copy the Registry from one computer to another. That would be a disaster.
I'll look to see if there's some way of synchronising particular Registry entries, but even if there is I doubt if I'll take the risk.
Thanks again
Paul

Conway

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 06:01:05 PM »
In XP, the settings are sorted in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Visual Sciences\Windows\Lemmings].

Andi

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »
Just export the key you need via regedit.