Author Topic: Cheapo music questions  (Read 19959 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo music questions
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2005, 08:52:10 AM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1115137024/30#43 date=1116570030
Then, if you've found few mistakes in my songs, then talk me much about that to see how could I correct them.

I only have one problem with your MIDIs, but it is quite a serious one. They don't sound too great when looped; the music "sticks" and comes to a stop before going back to the beginning. Obviously, since my main interest in these MIDIs is that I want to use them in Cheapo styles, that is going to matter.

However, other than that your versions are really great! Could you e-mail me the "Beast" one? You already have my address.

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2005, 10:31:02 AM »
I think the problem you have with looping is actually a Cheapo problem as well.  I've noticed from the very first time I start using Cheapo that whenever it reaches a loop point, it almost invariably always makes a gap of silence, even if you set the MIDI such that the loop point should transition with no gaps back to the beginning.  This happens on practically every MIDI including the ones included in default.sty, so it seems to be a Cheapo issue rather than problems in individual MIDIs.

It also doesn't help that Cheapo tends to not correctly played back notes at the very beginning of the MIDI, so the traditional fix is to insert a short gap of silence (about 1/4 of a second or so) at the very beginning.  But this only exasperates the problem with looping.

I'll have to investigate further to see whether it just so happens that all the MIDIs Cheapo uses have gaps at the beginning or end, or whether instead it really is an issue in Cheapo (I suspect the latter).  The way to get around it is to make sure you end the MIDI with either a true, musical ending, or to do a fade-out style ending, so that the gap of silence between looping is not noticeable.  (Some of the MIDIs included in the default style seems to do this.)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »
Hmm, yes, you're right of course.

Somehow it just seems more jarring on DragonsLover's MIDIs than it does on (for instance) the Lemmus ones.