Author Topic: Lemmings (CD edition)  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
Lemmings (CD edition)
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:58:44 AM »
I just got the CD edition of Lemmings, and it seems like the worst version:
CGA support has been removed
Tandy support has been removed
VGA support is more limited
The Lemmings.bat still uses VGALEMMI.EXE instead of LEMMINGS.EXE
The MANUAL.TXT still references files (CGALEMMI.EXE, TGALEMMI.EXE, VGALEMMI.EXE) that don't even exist.

My main issue is the more limited VGA, compared the demo version of first level (21 colors)

To the first level in the full version (15 colors):

Is there any way to get the higher amount of colors, like the demo version?

I'm using the game under DosBox (VGA only mode), and the follow command line for Lemmings:
LEMMINGS.EXE -v -o (full version) / VGALEMMI.EXE -v -o (demo version)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 03:31:34 AM by Kirben »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings (CD edition)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:46 AM »
Did it at least have the CD audio tracks like you were looking for?

If you send over the EXE, maybe I can try and see if anything can be done (I probably won't start though until at least the weekend), although it may well be that the programming has been truly removed.

Really strange, with the copious amount of storage on a CD, there's no good reason anything needs to be removed.  Granted, CGA and Tandy machines are probably out of fashion by then, but still.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:57 AM »
Did it at least have the CD audio tracks like you were looking for?
Unfortunately no CD audio tracks, it is the jewel case re-release of the CD edition shown at http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lemmings/cover-art

If you send over the EXE, maybe I can try and see if anything can be done (I probably won't start though until at least the weekend), although it may well be that the programming has been truly removed.
I think they disabled or ripped out some of the code, as only the video options screen (EGA or VGA) is offered, and not the machine type options screen. If I escape past the video options screen,  the machine type options are listed, before it quits. I attached LEMMINGS.EXE, the file is packed though.

Really strange, with the copious amount of storage on a CD, there's no good reason anything needs to be removed.  Granted, CGA and Tandy machines are probably out of fashion by then, but still.
Yes, it makes no sense to strip down the game so much, when CD offers so much space. This CD release only contains 536KB of data.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
Hmm, if there aren't even CD audio, seems like your version literally offers nothing that doesn't exist in standard non-CD editions.  In which case it almost seems like you might as well just go to abandonia.com and download Lemmings from there (I believe it's based off of one of the original floppy versions but modded with certain copy protection disabled).  The abandonia version definitely supports the -o mode missing in your CD's version.

Offline Kirben

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:37:04 AM »
I will just wait until my other Lemmings games arrive, hopefully the double pack works out better and includes CD audio.