Genesis 30 "Fall and no life."
2 (20%)
Genesis 47 "Lemmings' Ark"
6 (60%)
Sunsoft 30 "Fall and no life (Part Two)"
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 06, 2015, 12:50:46 PM

Author Topic: Extra Levels Voteoff (WINNER: Genesis 47 "Lemmings' Ark")  (Read 18813 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Extra Levels Voteoff (WINNER: Genesis 47 "Lemmings' Ark")
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
So, the last voteoff! (not including the grand final, which'll put the winners of the four voteoffs against each other)

This one is for the Extra Levels, which are basically all the official levels that come from versions with DOS-like mechanics, but were not included in any DOS version of the game. The overwhemling majority of these are from the Genesis version, but some are from other sources such as demo levels that didn't make it into final games, variations of the games on Amiga, or other versions.

All the levels in this voteoff are included in the Extra Levels Lemmix Player, although not all levels in that player are included. Those that will be included in this voteoff are (based on their classification in the Extra player):

- The levels from the "Genesis" rank, except the two test maps. This includes the alternate versions of the special graphics levels.
- The levels from the "Present", "Sunsoft" and "Other" ranks.

The two-player levels from the various versions, and the Master System and PSP levels, will not be included.

Throughout the voteoff, levels will be referred to by their position in the Extra Levels player, not their position in the version they come from. This is because generally, the Extra Levels player is the easiest way to play these levels, so it makes sense to describe how to find them in that player. Remember - you can quickly get to any level by first activating cheat mode (type "CHEATCODES" as a password), then typing that level's rank and number (eg: GENESIS01) as a code.

As usual, the rules for qualification to the next round are:
1) All levels in first place qualify, no matter what.
2) If the limit has not been reached, all levels in second place qualify, no matter what.
3) If the limit has not been reached, then 3rd, 4th and so on are considered, but *only* if (a) including them won't cause the limit to be exceeded, and (b) they have at least one vote (first round) or half as many votes as the first place levels (any other round).

And as usual, each set is open for 48 hours, except the final which is open for 72 hours. And, in the case that levels cannot be dividied equally into the number of sets specified for a round (or the number of levels per set specified), the earlier rounds get an extra level each until all levels are included.

And again as usual - remember, do not discuss in this topic any level that's in the set currently being voted on. It's perfectly fine to discuss levels that are in this voteoff but aren't in the current set, or to discuss them elsewhere on the site, of course. General comments (along the lines of "this was a hard set to choose from", etc) are fine.

So, the round breakdown - this may of course be subject to change depending on how many levels get through to the rounds.
Remember; as always, the number of votes is a maximum, not an exact requirement. You may vote for less levels if you like (eg: if the round allows voting for 3 levels, it's fine to only vote for one or two instead).

Round 1
Levels are divided into sets of 10 levels. Each user is allowed 3 votes, and the qualifying levels limit is 5.

Round 2
Levels are divided into sets of 6 levels. Each user is allowed 2 votes, and the qualifying levels limit is 3.

Round 3
Levels are divided into sets of 4 levels. Each user is allowed 2 votes, and the qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 4
Levels are divided into three sets. Each user is allowed 2 votes, and the qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 5
All levels are played in a single set. Each user is allowed 2 votes, and the qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 6
All levels are played in a single set. Each user is allowed 1 vote, and this round determines the winner.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:06:23 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Not yet started)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
Round Breakdowns

Levels that qualified for the following round are bolded.

Round 1
See attached text file.

Round 2
See attached text file.

Round 3
See attached text file.

Round 4

Set 1
Genesis 46 "No hurry, Relax."
Present 15 "Evil whisper"

Sunsoft 19 "Let's go camping."
Sunsoft 29 "I am A.T."

Set 2
Genesis 35 "Let's get together."

Sunsoft 28 "The gate trap Lemmings."

Set 3
Sunsoft 24 "Out, away from the tune"

Round 5

Round 6
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:07:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Not yet started)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
Alright, voting on the first set is now open. May the best level win... again! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 1)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
This is going to be an extremely difficult vote-off, as there are so many lovely levels in the Genesis set.

At least this first set wasn't too hard to decide, there being (for me) three clear favourites, but that still meant rejecting a couple of levels I also really like.

Quite a contrast to the last vote-off, as I have a generally low opinion of most of the Holiday, COVOX and Prima levels....

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 1)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Present 24 "Everyone's a hard nut."

Next set is up. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 2)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Present 06 "No time for a detour"
Other 06 "Going Their Separate Ways"
Other 07 "Ohayo Lemming-san!"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 3)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Present 17 "Electric circuit"
Present 22 "None title"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 4)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »
Qualifiers are:

Genesis 21 "The bridge is breaking down."
Genesis 36 "Over the wall"
Present 27 "Try anything once."
Present 29 "Private room available"
Sunsoft 23 "Move on in two separate groups."

Next set is up. :) Apologies on being a bit slow on updating lately - I haven't been on the PC as much lately, so haven't been paying as close attention as usual.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 5)
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:51:37 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Genesis 04 "Catch more floaters."
Present 09 "Fix the road, quick!"
Present 26 "Pitfall"
Sunsoft 18 "SUNSOFT Special"
Sunsoft 29 "I am A.T."
Other 03 "Go for it!"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 6)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Genesis 17 "Don't leave any Lemmings"
Present 25 "Underground city"
Present 28 "Which one are you trying to get?"
Sunsoft 22 "Watch right or left (Part two)"

Next set is up!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 7)
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Genesis 37 "Twins"
Present 05 "Darkness of the royal family"
Present 30 "Final impediment"
Sunsoft 20 "Haunted botanical garden"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 9)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Qualifiers are:

Genesis 29 "Lunch time"
Genesis 33 "Watch your fingertip!"
Sunsoft 15 "Exodus!"

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 02:13:14 AM »
Note to self: STOP FORGETTING TO UPDATE THIS. >_>

Don't have the time right now, but I'll try to remember to get it done later tonight. If I forget again (say, more than a day after the voting closes), feel free to drop me a PM reminder; or any other staff member is welcome to update it too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 05:44:46 AM »
I don't mind taking over if you're too busy, namida. Although I probably haven't posted as much as I used to, I am checking the forum every day. Shall I take over by the time we get to Round 2 or should I start straight away?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 06:30:47 AM »
It's not generally that I'm too busy, just that I end up forgetting about it altogether.

Qualifying levels this round:

Genesis 22 "Temporary peace"
Sunsoft 03 "Anxiety"
Sunsoft 12 "Water processing plant"
Sunsoft 14 "No world without you"
Sunsoft 26 "Just a minute (Part Three)"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 10)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 08:25:06 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Genesis 11 "Where do you see Lemmings?"
Sunsoft 13 "Doomsday"

Next set (last one for round 1) is up. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 11)
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 05:50:28 AM »
By looking at the poll (now closed), I see a clear winner, followed by an interesting order depending on the number of votes. Taking a look at the "the rules for qualification", I see that the 5-level limit has been reached. Does that mean the first five levels qualify? The number of levels qualified might not add up to a multiple of 6 though. Does that mean we should make sets of five?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Set 11)
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:57 AM »
I'll get around to updating it within the hour.

In regards to what happens in this case - remaining levels get tagged onto the earlier sets. In this case there's 48 levels, which does divide into 8 sets of 6.
If there were, say, 50 levels instead of 48; then the first two sets would have 7 levels each, with the remainder having 6.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Preparing Round 2)
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
Okay, let round 2 begin! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 1)
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 06:37:18 AM »
Qualifiers are:

Genesis 24 "Jump down!"
Sunsoft 23 "Move on in two separate groups."

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 2)
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
Qualfiiers are:

Present 24 "Everyone's a hard nut."
Sunsoft 14 "No world without you"
Other 06 "Going Their Separate Ways"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 3)
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Next set is up!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 4)
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Sunsoft 09 "Evacuating a coal mine"
Sunsoft 29 "I am A.T."

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 5)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:15 AM »
Qualifiers are:

Other 03 "Go for it!"

My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 6)
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 04:22:17 PM »
I don't think there's any doubt about one of the choices on this set!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
I found this to be the hardest set so far, by a long way. There are a lot of Genesis levels I really like, but usually they haven't come together. Here, there were four levels I really wanted to vote for.

I have a good guess at which level Crane is referring to, and it's not one of my picks. It's a decent level, but I've always felt it to be generally overrated by the community.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
Qualifiers are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 7)
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 05:18:44 AM »
Qualifiers are:

Genesis 21 "The bridge is breaking down."
Present 17 "Electric circuit"
Present 28 "Which one are you trying to get?"
Sunsoft 26 "Just a minute (Part Three)"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 2, Set 8)
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Present 29 "Private room available"

Time to prepare the next round. :)
EDIT: Okay, it's up. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:17:22 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 3, Set 1)
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:41 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 3, Set 2)
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
Qualifiers are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 3, Set 3)
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 3, Set 4)
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 3, Set 5)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Wow, I really let this slide for a while. o_O

Qualifying levels are:

Sunsoft 29 "I am A.T."

Preparing the next round now. :)

EDIT: It's up. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:29:15 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 4, Set 1)
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2015, 11:10:16 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Next set is up.

It also appears I overlooked uploading the text file for the Round 3 results; I've fixed that now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 4, Set 2)
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:36 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 4, Set 3)
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 05:58:34 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Round 5 (the semifinals, w00t!) is up. :)

Also, it's probably time to start at least thinking about how to conduct the super-finals (ie: the voteoff between whichever level wins this, and the three winners from the other voteoffs). I'm thinking of doing it in a format where only one level gets eliminated each round, until we have a winner; but doing it in a single round, or perhaps two rounds, is also possible. Any input?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 5)
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Wow, this one's a tough choice!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: Round 5)
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Finals are up! Remember that if two levels are tied for first, there'll also be a tiebreaker round, unless the third level has zero votes of course. And don't forget, this round remains open a bit longer than the others do, so not as much rush if you need some time to decide (it is a pretty difficult one to choose, after all).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (Current: FINALS!)
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »
Okay, we have our winner!

Genesis 47 (Mayhem 30 in the actual Genesis version of the game; and I believe it's somewhere on the SNES version too?), "Lemmings' Ark"!

Now, once I finish putting up the results spreadsheet in this topic, it's time to start the absolute finals - that is, between the four winners of the seperate voteoffs! :)

I have to say - I'm not surprised by which levels got to the final, and not very surprised by which one won it either. (Though I admit it was very hard - between all 3 - for me to choose what to vote for in the final round.) I was somewhat surprised by some that got close to the finals though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Extra Levels Voteoff (WINNER: Genesis 47 "Lemmings' Ark")
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 03:31:43 PM »
Yeah, not surprising given what's been said in previous forum discussions. I'm still disappointed as I don't consider it to be anywhere near one of the best levels.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
What would be your personal favourite, Proxima?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »
Fall and no life (Part Two). That was a really great puzzle that had me stumped for ages and was very satisfying to crack. I love the tricks used in the main solution and the way it makes use of parts of the level that you can easily mistake for decoration. Now I know it has several backroutes, but I still consider it a great level, similarly to Mayhem 13 from original Lemmings.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 12:15:48 AM »
Personally Lemmings Ark didn't amaze me as much as everybody else apparently. I mean it's a good level and certainty not easy, but it didn't give me the trouble like some people have mentioned.

Like (I think) ISteve mentioned somewhere; I actually found Fall and no life part 1 harder than part 2. :o

The hardest of Genesis I found were: Evil Whisper, Jump Down, Let's get together, I am AT (not in a good way..), [of what I can remember]

my personal favorite still goes to No added colours or Lemmings from game 1. Took me literally years to solve and was really clever. And even now I haven't seen a single custom level use the trick in it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain