Poll

So, who's planning to play it when it's released?

I'm going to start as soon as it's out!
2 (50%)
I might wait a bit, but I plan to get to it soon.
1 (25%)
Not right away, I still want to play the other Lemmings Plus packs first.
1 (25%)
Dunno, I might play it if I need some more levels at some point.
0 (0%)
I'm probably not going to play it anytime soon.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus IV - Development Topic (Release in ~5 minutes!)  (Read 36671 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus IV - Development Topic (67.00% complete) (Demo released!)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
Just hit the halfway mark in terms of level count (40 levels). :D

Here's the 40th level to be made, currently placed at Insane 6.

"Tower of Confection"
5 Lemmings, 100% required
RR 90, no time limit
Skillset: 4 Climbers, 4 Platformers, 4 Builders, 4 Bashers

You may notice the layout slightly resembles one of the LPIII levels. While it is indeed somewhat inspired by this level, it has plenty of difference too, and is a lot harder.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
So, how about some more information on this new object...

Basically, the new object type is a variant of the existing triggered traps. The difference from these is that unlike current triggered traps, which are one-lemming-at-a-time but can be repeatedly used; the new ones are single-use. That is, after they kill one lemming, they're no longer a danger.

The exact nature of the object I've used for this will remain secret for now, but that's the function of it. :)

That aside, the 4th graphic set will also contain splat pads and antisplat pads; these are object types originally featured in Cheapo, that haven't previously been used in NeoLemmix outside of graphic sets converted from Cheapo. :)

Also, as I mentioned I was considering, I've moved "Platform Panic" into Insane, and "Unhealthy Diet" into Twisted. They didn't directly swap positions (Platform Panic is one level before where Unhealthy Diet was, while Unhealty Diet is a few levels later than Platform Panic was), but they did swap ranks; so that still leaves the demos with the same number of levels from each rank based on their final positions (if none of the others get moved).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:45:55 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I made a slight, and hopefully very welcome, addition to the Space graphic set. Look by the teleporters. :)

None of the other graphic sets contain teleporters, so it's only the Space set that got this change.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
So, just passed the 70% completion mark! Also, for the first time, Insane is the furthest ahead in terms of number of levels created! (This is quite a common pattern in my level packs - often, the last rank hangs behind for quite a while, with other ranks often being 30% or more completed before the final rank even gets its first level, but then it overtakes towards the end, with the last level to be made often being in one of the lowest ranks).

Bumpy is really falling behind a bit though, especially since there's one level in there I'm considering moving to Twisted...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 04:24:57 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Since we're getting close to completion, it's probably time to start looking for people interested in testing. If you're interested, post here or drop me a PM. :)

As usual, I'm hoping for 3-4 testers, of varied skill levels, and it'll be on a first-in-first-served basis, though those who've tested previous packs of mine (especially those who've contributed a lot to the testing efforts) will have extra priority if they're interested. :) Testers will (obviously) get early access to the game, as well as their name in the credits; main expectation is solution replays (to weed out backroutes), though feedback in relation to the difficulty curve is also very much appreciated.

I can also say that at this point, I'm ruling out secret / gimmick / frenzy levels of any kind. All levels will be regular levels; though as the demo shows, new NeoLemmix skills and object types are most certianly being used; as is vertical scrolling (which didn't appear in any demo levels, but has been seen in some level preview images I've posted). I'll also confirm that there are going to be VGASPEC levels, most likely at a rate of one per rank, though I might have less than this.

I'll also give some more previews of the 4th graphic set. Here's an entire level in it, although it's the level that least shows off the theme of the graphic set (as you may recall, I said I planned on it being a somewhat rough-edged graphic set, while this level is almost entirely using the straight-edged pieces). :P Still, it may provide some clues.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 06:11:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
Wow, you're making fast progress!
I'm really looking forward to being able to use the clockwork tileset! :)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Hm, that 4th tileset could either be Gulf war or Wasteland/Post-Nuclear Fallout (the former one that Minim suggested, the latter one that mobius suggested).

It's an interesting style, and it looks like a mix of the Metal Style and the Lab Style (considering how one of your levels, Breezy 20 of Lemmings Plus Omega, is called "The Nuclear Plant"). I can't wait to see what else this style offers.

For the new type of trap, will mechanics still work on it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:17:40 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
For the new type of trap, will mechanics still work on it?

Yes; although I haven't (at least so far) made any levels that rely on this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just hit 75% overall completion! Seems to be coming along at a similar pace to LPIII (for the record, I'd been working on LPIV for about a week and a half, maybe two weeks, before I made this topic) - I don't think I'll ever make another large pack as quickly as I made LPII (for those who weren't around during it's development; from the beginning to the first full-game release took about 3 weeks), but I'd say this is a decent speed. :) There's also a final level for every rank, now - Bumpy's one was made ages ago, Insane's about a week ago, Smooth's a few days back, and the hitting-75%-mark-level was Twisted's final level.

So, as a celebration of this mark... here's a couple of far more typical levels in the 4th graphic set! :) Those who guessed Wasteland were correct!
Like in the Lab graphic set, the "water" in this graphic set is actually acid (or from a technical point of view, a fire object).
And if you look closely in the first pic, you'll notice a couple of small landmines (underneath the hanging sign towards the right). These are the single-activation traps. :)

Also - regarding VGASPEC levels. I find it quite difficult to come up with particularly challenging ones, so I might not have one in Insane (it depends if I come up with a good idea). The other three ranks will have them (one per rank), but probably no special music for them this time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:54:08 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
All graphic sets are now completed! :) Nothing but levels from here on out. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
My demo solutions. :) Platform Panic was the hardest one for me. I'm excited about the Clockwork and the 4th graphic sets, they look pretty cool!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Thanks! :D

Smooth 1 - Pretty open ended here. I see a clear preference for the classic skills here (eg. stopping the digger with a builder, despite having walkers available). :P
Smooth 2 - This is the... not "intended" as such (as it's a *somewhat* open level), but the first solution I thought of. :)
Smooth 3 - Nicely done! I haven't seen it solved that way before. Your solution could also be fairly easily adapted to save 100%, I think. :)

Bumpy 1 - Fairly sure that's the *only* way to solve this one. :)
Bumpy 2 - You found the same backroute as Nepster did. It'll be fixed in the full game.
Bumpy 3 - Yep, this solution is fine. There is another, more complicated one, but I'm fine with this one too. :)

Twisted 1 - You got the intended solution on this one. :D
Twisted 2 - This one too. :)

Insane 1 - I really like your solution, though it isn't the intended one. Sadly, the fix for a backroute Nepster found will also make this solution not work... :(

About Platform Panic being the hardest - this has been a very consistent response. I didn't find it quite so hard myself, but based on the feedback, it's been moved to Insane for the full game. Likewise, Unhealthy Diet has been moved back to Twisted.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:28:44 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Been a bit slow the last couple of days (mostly due to working on the new Talismans feature in NeoLemmix), but the pace is starting to pick up again. :) Also, Twisted has now taken the lead again for most levels complete, as well as being the first rank to reach 75%.

Current graphic set counts:

Candy - 13 (EDIT: 14, just made another one)
Space - 15
Clockwork - 14
Wasteland - 13

I have noticed that I probably need to make more use of pre-placed lemmings; there's only a single level in the entire game that contains one, and that level is a one-lemming level... time to think of some preplaced lemming puzzles, it'd seem! I have made some use of locked exits and pickup skills, and there's a couple of levels using splitters too. I haven't used radiation at all yet, even though two of the graphic sets do contain it... Of course, making good levels is more important than using every feature, but if I can do both, that's even better again.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 05:25:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Are there also levels that use slowfreeze, anti-blocker fields and any of the other converted Cheapo objects?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!